Does sodium bicarbonate function as an acid or a base?

In summary, the question asks if baking soda can act as an acid, and it can in water. It also asks for a balanced equation for the reaction of baking soda with phosphoric acid.
xLaser
We conducted a lab on Friday and today we have to answer a few post lab questions.

I'm stuck on one question and it asks:

Does sodium bicarbonate (aka Baking Soda) (NaHCO3) function as an acid or a base? What sort of condition will determine this?

I know that sodium bicarbonate will function as a base in a typical neutralization reaction such as NaHCO3 + HCl → NaCl + H2O + CO2 .

However, when will it function as an acid? I cannot seem to find this bit of info anywhere on the net.

Also, another question, it says here write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with phosphoric acid. Does anyone know what it is?

I think it starts like this but I have no idea what the other products are, well, i know one is going to be a salt, and the other one probably is a gas.

NaHCO3(s) + H3PO4(aq) --> H2O +

Thx in advance,

m!ke :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember performing a lab with baking soda, quite a few times, in Chemistry last year.

I don't exactly remember, but, I don't think Baking Soda can be used as an acid. It's a neutalizing agent. If I correctly remember, bases neutalize acids... so it would act as a base, when it is mixed with an acid.

Don't trust me though, Chemistry was never my strong point :rofl:

Last edited:
yeah me too, but the question's wording seems a bit like it can also act as an acid. Maybe its just me but I'm waiting to hear more comments.

bump! anyone know anything about this?

bump! its due tomorrow, someone please answer if they know!

dont take what i say as the final word cos I'm still taking Chem. anyways:

Baking soda acts as a base most of the time except when it's hydrogen concentration is higher than substance it's reacting with (this is a total guess but it'd kinda make sense).

and for the reaction I'm pretty sure it'd give you water, carbon dioxide and sodium phosphate, Na3(Po4)2. just check though.

In the NaCo3, HCl reaction, you are pairing NaCo3, which is, technically, a salt, with a strong acid. What would happen if you combined it with a strong base?

ok i looked up some stuff and apparently, it is possible that baking soda can act as an acid in water, due to a freely avaliable H+ .

what do you guys think? and its not due tomorrow, its actually due tomorrow from the time i post this, got the due dates wrong =)

o and i found out the balanced equation for reaction of baking soda with phosphoric acid if anyone is interested...

i'm almost 100% sure it is this one:

3NaHCO3 + H3PO4 ----> 3H2O + 3CO2 + Na3PO4

(*sorry about subscripts but i duno how to do them here)

Any corrections please feel free to comment, thanks you all =)

lucifer btw, its Na3PO4, not 2 PO4 since PO4 is an polyatomic ion with charge of -3, but thanks for the hint =)

xLaser said:
lucifer btw, its Na3PO4, not 2 PO4 since PO4 is an polyatomic ion with charge of -3, but thanks for the hint =)

for some reason i kept thinking that the sodium ion had a charge of +1(and hence Na3(Po4)2). I'm so stupid lol.

1. What is sodium bicarbonate?

Sodium bicarbonate, also known as baking soda, is a chemical compound with the formula NaHCO3. It is a white crystalline powder that is commonly used in baking and as an antacid.

2. Is sodium bicarbonate an acid or a base?

Sodium bicarbonate can function as both an acid and a base, depending on the conditions it is used in. In its pure form, it is a weak base. However, when it is dissolved in water, it can act as an acid by releasing hydrogen ions.

3. How does sodium bicarbonate function as an acid?

When sodium bicarbonate is dissolved in water, it reacts with the water to form carbonic acid (H2CO3). This acid then dissociates into hydrogen ions (H+) and bicarbonate ions (HCO3-). The release of hydrogen ions makes sodium bicarbonate function as an acid.

4. How does sodium bicarbonate function as a base?

Sodium bicarbonate can also function as a base when it reacts with an acid. The bicarbonate ions in sodium bicarbonate can accept hydrogen ions from an acid, forming carbonic acid. This reaction helps neutralize the acid, making sodium bicarbonate function as a base.

5. What are some other common uses of sodium bicarbonate?

In addition to baking and as an antacid, sodium bicarbonate has many other uses. It can be used as a cleaning agent, a leavening agent in cooking, a deodorizer, and a medical treatment for conditions such as heartburn and kidney problems.