Does T have a unique fixed point in X?

In summary: T^2 fixes x and has only one fixed point, it suffices to show that T^2 also fixes T(x)" but you need to say more. You need to explain why T^2 having only one fixed point means that if T(x)=x then T(T(x))=x. That is not obvious, you need to say something about the "fixed point property" of T^2.In summary, the fixed point property of T^2 states that if T^2 has only one fixed point, then any fixed point of T is also a fixed point of T^2. Since T^2 fixes x, and has only one fixed point, it
Samuel Williams
Let (X, d) be a complete metric space, and suppose T : X → X is a function such that T^2 is a contraction. [By T^2, we mean the function T^2 : X → X given by T^2(x) = T(T(x))]. Show that T has a unique fixed point in X.

So I have an answer, but I am not sure whether it is correct. It goes as follows :

Any fixed point of T is also a fixed point of T^2, and there is only one of these. Let x∈X be the unique fixed point of T^2, and consider T^2=T(T(x))=T(x). But now T(x) is a fixed point of T^2, so T(x)=x and x is also a fixed point of T. Since x∈X, T has a unique fixed point in X

Would that be sufficient or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you meant: T^2(T(x)) = T^3(x) = T(T^2(x)) = T(x), then I agree.

I would interpret the fixed point property for T^2 to mean that ##T^2(x)=(T \circ T)(x)=T(T(x))=x ## . The relation ## T(T(x))=T(x) ## is often called an involution, but not every contraction is an involution, e.g., ##f(x)=x/2 ## is a contraction but not an involution.

At some point you should say "because [itex]T^2[/itex] is a contraction, [itex]T^2[/itex] has a unique fixed point". Also "[itex]T^2= T(T(x))= T(x)[/itex]" does not make sense for two reasons. The first part, [itex]T^2[/itex] is an operator while the other two [itex]T(T(x))[/itex] and [itex]T(x)[/itex] are points. I presume you meant to say [itex]T^2(x)= T(T(x))= T(x)[/itex]. But even then the second equation, [itex]T(T(x))= T(x)[/itex] assumes that x is a fixed point of T, not [itex]T^2[/itex] and that assumes what you are trying to prove. What you have proved is that "if x is a fixed point of T then it is a fixed point of [itex]T^2[/itex]". That is not what you want to prove.

let me elaborate my reply; As you said, every fixed point of T is a fixed point of T^2, hence T has at most one fixed point since T^2 has only one.

So it remains to show that T has also a fixed point at x, i.e. to show that T(x) = x. For this, since T^2 fixes x and has only one fixed point, it suffices to show that T^2 also fixes T(x).

Then since T^2(x) = x, we get T^2(T(x)) = T^3(x) = T(T^2(x)) = T(x), and that does it.

I assume you had some such idea but mistyped it somehow.

What is a fixed point for a contraction?

A fixed point for a contraction is a point in a function where the output is equal to the input. In other words, when the function is applied to that point, the result is the same value as the point itself.

Why is finding a fixed point for a contraction important?

Finding a fixed point for a contraction is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function. It can also be useful in solving equations and finding solutions to problems.

How can you determine if a point is a fixed point for a contraction?

To determine if a point is a fixed point for a contraction, you can plug in the point's value into the function and see if the result is the same as the point's value. If it is, then the point is a fixed point for the contraction.

What is the difference between a fixed point and an attractor for a contraction?

A fixed point is a point where the output of a function is equal to the input, while an attractor is a point where the function will eventually converge to. An attractor can be a fixed point, but not all fixed points are attractors.

Can a function have multiple fixed points for a contraction?

Yes, a function can have multiple fixed points for a contraction. In fact, a function can have an infinite number of fixed points, depending on the nature of the function.