Does temperature increase when water is boiling at 100C......

In summary, a closed system with water and heat will generally experience a pressure increase until something opens to release the pressure.
Carbon273
Does temperature increase when water is boiling at 100C in a closed system? I am picturing a scenario where I am boiling water in a pot to make pasta. However, I decide to close the pot as the water is still boiling. By doing this I am sealing away the system of study from the environment. Thus making it a closed system with fixed boundaries. As the saturated liquid and saturated vapor conditions coexist in the system, does the temperature increase the system prematurely? If not, then how would this differ from having the pot boil with the lid removed?

The reason why I asked this is because I believe pressure plays a distinct role in both scenarios. Where the latter, atmospheric pressure is present and the former the pressure is encapsulated and thus contributes to the temperature increasing possibly prematurely. Just looking for clarification.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First off - What you described is not a closed system. A closed system allows for NO leakage. Putting a cover on the pot does not prevent the steam from escaping. In the scenario you describe, the temperature will remain at 100 C for as long as there is water in the pot

Likes Carbon273 and russ_watters
Yes the temperature which water boils depends on the pressure. Here is a phase diagram for water.

https://goo.gl/images/kPzjSN

AZFIREBALL said:
First off - What you described is not a closed system. A closed system allows for NO leakage. Putting a cover on the pot does not prevent the steam from escaping. In the scenario you describe, the temperature will remain at 100 C for as long as there is water in the pot
hmmm interesting. So let's say, that hypothetically, we are viewing a closed system. A case where no leakage occurs whatsoever. What will happen then? For both cases where the there is an adiabatic process and there isn't one. Sorry for adding more questions on top of my initial one, I am genuinely curious.

'Closed' system ? That's a 'pressure cooker'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_cooking
As the pressure rises initially, boiling will reduce until the water is further heated. Then, as pressure builds, the regulator valve lifts or the safety pop blows...

FWIW, in addition to 'flat top' and 'hi top' metal versions for hobs, there are simplified plastic versions suitable for microwaves...

If you have a closed system with water and heat, then the pressure will rise until something happens:
1) You might get lucky and the pressure will rise until heat loss equals heat added.
2) Or something will open and release the pressure.
2A) If you are lucky, a relief valve will open and vent the pressure.
2B) If you are not lucky, search water heater explosion or boiler explosion. There is an excellent Mythbuster's video online.

Back in the 1800's, boiler explosions were common, as were the resulting deaths. That resulted in the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, which specifies safety factors, design practices, materials, and relief valves.

1. Why does water boil at 100°C?

Water boils at 100°C because this is the temperature at which the vapor pressure of water equals the atmospheric pressure. At this point, water molecules have enough energy to break free from the liquid phase and turn into gas, causing the water to boil.

2. Does the temperature continue to increase after water reaches 100°C?

No, the temperature of water does not increase after it reaches 100°C. At this point, the energy from the heat source is being used to break the bonds between water molecules, rather than increasing the temperature. This is why water remains at 100°C until it has completely boiled away.

3. Can water boil at a temperature lower than 100°C?

Yes, water can boil at a lower temperature if the atmospheric pressure is lower than normal. For example, at higher altitudes where the atmospheric pressure is lower, water will boil at a lower temperature. This is because the vapor pressure of water needs to equal the atmospheric pressure for boiling to occur.

4. Does water always boil at 100°C?

No, water does not always boil at 100°C. The boiling point of water can vary depending on factors such as altitude, atmospheric pressure, and the presence of impurities in the water. However, at sea level and under normal atmospheric conditions, water will boil at 100°C.

5. Will adding salt or other substances affect the boiling point of water?

Yes, adding salt or other substances to water can affect its boiling point. This is because these substances can change the vapor pressure of water, making it harder for water molecules to escape and reach the boiling point. This is why it takes longer for saltwater to boil compared to pure water.