Does the Angular Momentum Commutator [L_a, L_b L_b] Equal Zero?

In summary, using the Einstein summation convention, it can be shown that [L_a, L_b L_b] = 0 by applying the commutator relations (1) and (5). This leads to the simplified expression of 2i\hbar\epsilon_{abc}L_bL_c + 2\hbar^2L_a. By relabeling dummy indices, it can be seen that this expression reduces to 0, proving the given statement.
mr_sparxx

Homework Statement

Prove that

## [L_a,L_b L_b] =0 ##

using Einstein summation convention.

Homework Equations

[/B]
## (1) [L_a,L_b] = i \hbar \epsilon_{abc} L_c ##
## (2) \epsilon_{abc} \epsilon_{auv} = \delta_{bu} \delta_{cv}- \delta_{bv} \delta_{cu}##
## (3) \epsilon_{abc} = \epsilon_{bca} = \epsilon_{cab} ##
## (4) L_a = \epsilon_{abc} x_b p_c ##
## (5) [AB,C] = A [B,C] + [A,C] B ##
## (6) [x_a,p_b] = i \hbar \delta_{ab}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, using (1) and (5):
##[L_a,L_b L_b] = [L_a,L_b ] L_b+L_b [L_a,L_b] = i \hbar \epsilon_{abc} L_c L_b + L_b i \hbar \epsilon_{abd} L_d = \\
= i \hbar \epsilon_{abc} (L_b L_c +[L_c,L_b ] ) + i \hbar \epsilon_{abd} L_b L_d = i \hbar (\epsilon_{abc} L_b L_c + \epsilon_{abc} i \hbar \epsilon_{cbe} L_e + \epsilon_{abd} L_b L_d ) ##

Then, using (2) and (3), and putting the two equivalent terms together, I get:

##i \hbar (2 \epsilon_{abc} L_b L_c + i \hbar \epsilon_{bca} \epsilon_{bec} L_e ) =
i \hbar (2 \epsilon_{abc} L_b L_c + i \hbar (\delta_{ce}\delta_{ac}- \delta_{cc}\delta_{ea}) L_e ) =2 i \hbar \epsilon_{abc} L_b L_c ##

This does not look well to me... Anyway, I have continued by using (4):

## 2 i \hbar \epsilon_{abc} \epsilon_{buv} x_u p_v \epsilon_{ckj} x_k p_j ##

Then (2) and (6):

## 2 i \hbar (\epsilon_{ckj} x_c p_a x_k p_j - \epsilon_{ckj} x_a p_c x_k p_j) = 2 i \hbar \epsilon_{ckj} [x_c, p_a] x_k p_j = 2 i \hbar \epsilon_{ckj} i \hbar \delta{ca} x_k p_j = \\ = -2 \hbar^2 \epsilon_{akj} x_k p_j = -2 i \hbar L_a ##

I cannot find my mistake(s)... and my result is absurd.

Physics news on Phys.org
mr_sparxx said:
##[L_a,L_b L_b] = [L_a,L_b ] L_b+L_b [L_a,L_b] = i \hbar \epsilon_{abc} L_c L_b + L_b i \hbar \epsilon_{abd} L_d ##

In the first term on the far right you have two summation indices: b and c. In the second term you have summation indices b and d.

Summation indices are "dummy" indices. You can rename them if you wish. What happens if in the second term you re-label the b index as c and re-label the d index as b?

Last edited:
Likes mr_sparxx
mr_sparxx said:
##i \hbar (2 \epsilon_{abc} L_b L_c + i \hbar (\delta_{ce}\delta_{ac}- \delta_{cc}\delta_{ea}) L_e ) =2 i \hbar \epsilon_{abc} L_b L_c ##

Note that ##(\delta_{ce}\delta_{ac}- \delta_{cc}\delta_{ea}) L_e ) \neq 0##.

What is value of ##\delta_{cc}##? Remember, repeated subscripts are summed.

Last edited:
Likes mr_sparxx
So ## i\hbar \epsilon_{abc} L_c L_b+i \hbar \epsilon_{abd} L_b L_d = i\hbar \epsilon_{abc} L_c L_b+i \hbar \epsilon_{acb} L_c L_b = 0##

So simple now... b is a dummy index! It is still difficult for me to realize what is "fixed" and what is a dummy index without writing down the summation symbols... Now I see that ## L_b L_b ## stands for the square of the modulus in classic mechanics: I lost this somewhere in my work.

TSny said:
Note that ##(\delta_{ce}\delta_{ac}- \delta_{cc}\delta_{ea}) L_e ) \neq 0##.

What is value of ##\delta_{cc}##? Remember, repeated subscripts are summed.

I think it is 3.

Ok so the first term is actually, ## \delta_{ae}L_e = L_a## and the second term is ## 3 \delta_{ae}L_e = 3 L_a##
so:

## i \hbar (2 \epsilon_{abc} L_b L_c + i \hbar (\delta_{ce}\delta_{ac}- \delta_{cc}\delta_{ea}) L_e ) =2 i \hbar \epsilon_{abc} L_b L_c + 2 \hbar^2 L _ a ##

And according to my previous attemp (in which I corrected the last step):
##2 i \hbar \epsilon_{abc} L_b L_c + 2 \hbar^2 L _ a = -2 \hbar^2 L_a + 2 \hbar^2 L _ a = 0##

I think I got it... Thank you once again!

Last edited:

Related to Does the Angular Momentum Commutator [L_a, L_b L_b] Equal Zero?

1. What is the definition of the Angular Momentum Commutator?

The Angular Momentum Commutator is a mathematical operator that describes the relationship between the angular momentum of a physical system and the rotational symmetry of that system. It is a measure of how much one component of the angular momentum vector changes when the other components are varied.

2. How is the Angular Momentum Commutator calculated?

The Angular Momentum Commutator is calculated by taking the cross product of the angular momentum operators for two different components, and then subtracting the result from the reverse order of the cross product. This can be expressed as [Lx, Ly] = LxLy - LyLx.

3. What is the physical significance of the Angular Momentum Commutator?

The Angular Momentum Commutator is physically significant because it represents the uncertainty in measuring two different components of the angular momentum of a system simultaneously. A smaller commutator value indicates a smaller uncertainty in the measurement, while a larger value indicates a larger uncertainty.

4. How does the Angular Momentum Commutator relate to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Angular Momentum Commutator is related to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle through the concept of non-commutativity. Just like with position and momentum, the more precisely we know one component of the angular momentum, the less precisely we can know the other component, due to the non-commutativity of the angular momentum operators.

5. Can the Angular Momentum Commutator be used to solve quantum mechanical problems?

Yes, the Angular Momentum Commutator is a very useful tool in solving quantum mechanical problems. It can be used to determine the allowed energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions of a system, as well as to analyze the symmetries and degeneracies of these states. It is also essential in studying the behavior of particles in magnetic fields and other rotating systems.