Momentum and Position Operator Commutator Levi Civita Form

In summary: So, my advice is to write it out in all its gory detail and then you will see how all the ##\delta_{ij}'s## and ##\epsilon_{ijk}'s## are necessary to make it all work out.In summary, the proof involves using the definition of the Levi-Civita symbol to simplify the commutator, and then realizing that the ##\delta_{ij}## terms disappear and only the ##\epsilon_{ijk}## terms remain, leading to the desired result.
PatsyTy

Homework Statement

Prove that ##[L_i,x_j]=i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk}x_k \quad (i, j, k = 1, 2, 3)## where ##L_1=L_x##, ##L_2=L_y## and ##L_3=L_z## and ##x_1=x##, ##x_2=y## and ##x_3=z##.

Homework Equations

There aren't any given except those in the problem, however I assume we use

$$L_i=x_jp_k-p_kx_j$$

$$[A,B]=AB-BA$$

$$[A+B,C]=[A,C]+[B,C]$$

$$[AB,C]=[A,C]B+A[B,C]$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Sub ##L_i=x_jp_k-p_kx_j## into ##[L_i,x_j]##

$$[x_j-p_k-p_kx_j]=[x_jp_k,x_j]-[p_kx_j,x_j]$$

Use ##[AB,C]=[A,C]B+A[B,C]##

$$([x_j,x_j]p_k+x_j[p_k,x_j])-([p_k,x_j]x_j+[x_j,x_j]p_k)$$

The two commutators ##[x_j,x_j]=0## so I end up with

$$x_j[p_k,x_j]-[p_k,x_j]x_j$$

However I have no idea where to go from here. I don't understand where the ##x_k## term comes from. I assume the ##i\hbar## term would appear if I wrote the momentum operators as ##-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}## however then I would end up with a bunch of differential operators I don't know how to work with.

Physics news on Phys.org
PatsyTy said:
I would end up with a bunch of differential operators I don't know how to work with.
Easy: ##{\partial \over \partial x_i }x_j = \delta_{ij}##

PatsyTy said:

Homework Statement

Prove that ##[L_i,x_j]=i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk}x_k \quad (i, j, k = 1, 2, 3)## where ##L_1=L_x##, ##L_2=L_y## and ##L_3=L_z## and ##x_1=x##, ##x_2=y## and ##x_3=z##.

Homework Equations

There aren't any given except those in the problem, however I assume we use

$$L_i=x_jp_k-p_kx_j$$

This last equation is not correct. It is only true if the indices are ##(i, j, k) = (1, 2, 3), (2, 3, 1)## or ##(3, 1, 2)##. For example:
$$L_1 = x_2 p_3 - x_3 p_2$$
This is where the Levi-Civita symbol comes in:
$$L_i = \epsilon_{ijk}x_j p_k$$
Because, if ##i = 1## say, then ##\epsilon_{ijk} =0## except ##\epsilon_{123} =1## and ##\epsilon_{132} =-1##

And note that this invokes the "summation convention", which is a convenient shorthand and hides a whole bunch of the mathematical framework. For example, written out fully that would be:
$$For \ i = 1, 2, 3: \ \ L_i = \sum_{j,k = 1}^{3} \epsilon_{ijk}x_j p_k$$
That is three separate equations (one for each of ##i = 1, 2, 3##) involving ##L_i## equal to a sum of 9 terms.

My advice is that, until you have really mastered this Levi-Civita symbol, you should always keep in mind that it is an extreme shorthand and often what appears to one equation involving a couple of terms is in fact much more complicated.

Last edited:
Likes BvU

1. What is the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that represents the momentum of a quantum mechanical particle. It is denoted by the symbol p and is defined as the derivative of the position operator with respect to time.

2. What is the position operator in quantum mechanics?

The position operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that represents the position of a quantum mechanical particle. It is denoted by the symbol x and is defined as the multiplication of the position of the particle by the identity operator.

3. What does the commutator of momentum and position operators represent?

The commutator of momentum and position operators represents the uncertainty in the measurement of a particle's momentum and position. It is a mathematical quantity that measures the non-commutativity of these two operators.

4. What is the Levi-Civita form in quantum mechanics?

The Levi-Civita form is a mathematical expression used in quantum mechanics to represent the commutator of momentum and position operators. It is defined as the cross product of the momentum operator with the gradient of the position operator.

5. How is the Levi-Civita form used in quantum mechanics?

The Levi-Civita form is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the commutator of momentum and position operators. It is also used to determine the uncertainty in the measurement of a particle's momentum and position, which is an important concept in quantum mechanics.