Does the integral of x^(3/2) sin(2x) converge over the range of 0 to 1?

In summary, the function x^{3/2}\sin(2x) converges absolutely and is continuous on the interval [0,1]. However, since it is increasing and oscillating, it is also divergent on this interval.
iva

Homework Statement

Discuss the convergence of

Integral(x3/2 sin 2x dx) range is from 0 to 1

Homework Equations

|sin x| =< 1

The Attempt at a Solution

The sine function converges absolutely. It is also increasing from 0 to 90 degrees, decreases until 27 decrease and it is negative from 180 to 270 before it starts increasing again becoming positive at 360 degrees again.

sin 2x will always be less than or equal to 1 and greater or equal to -1. But for this interval of 0 to 1 it is increasing and therefore the function x3/2 sin 2x dx over the given range is increasing and therefore diverging

(My lack of understanding here is that my textbook says that this test should only be used where f(x) is positive, decreasing and continuous. Yet I am asked to discuss this integral which over the given range of 0 to 1 is increasing, hence I'm compelled to say that it increases and therefore diverges.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, you should not work with degrees. I'm sure your textbook works with radians. So you should work with them as well!

Secondly, I do not understand what you want to test for convergence! The function [tex]x^{3/2}\sin(2x)[/tex] clearly exists and is continuous on the entire interval [0,1], thus the integral with ranges 0 and 1 exists.
You should only test for convergence when working with open or infinite intervals.

Am I misunderstanding the question??

I agree, but the question specifically asks us to discuss the convergence of this function. If there was no integral and it was a series i would say that the series is monotone,bounded by 0 and 1 and divergent as it never decreases but oscilates; but as it's a function I'm not sure. Clearly it is a wave graph, but what do I say about its convergence, specifically over the interval [0 1]? That it is bounded divergent?

Thanks

Last edited:
Well, the integral converges trivially, since the function is continuous on a closed interval. That's how I would answer that...

I still think there's something wrong with the question though...

Last edited by a moderator:
having said this , that function converges towards the origin.. guess maybe i just need to mention all these properties that I believe the function to have.

Related to Does the integral of x^(3/2) sin(2x) converge over the range of 0 to 1?

1. What is integral convergence testing?

Integral convergence testing is a mathematical method used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. It involves evaluating the integral of the function that defines the series and using the result to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

2. How does integral convergence testing work?

Integral convergence testing works by evaluating the integral of the function that defines the series. If the integral converges, then the series also converges. If the integral diverges, then the series also diverges.

3. What are the conditions for using integral convergence testing?

The function defining the series must be continuous and positive on the interval of integration, and the interval of integration must be infinite. Additionally, the function must be decreasing or non-increasing on the interval of integration.

4. What is the difference between integral convergence testing and other convergence tests?

The main difference between integral convergence testing and other convergence tests is that integral convergence testing involves evaluating an integral, while other tests, such as the ratio test or the comparison test, involve analyzing the terms of the series themselves.

5. When should integral convergence testing be used?

Integral convergence testing is most useful for determining the convergence of infinite series that involve functions that are difficult to analyze using other convergence tests. It is also useful for proving the convergence of a series when other tests fail to provide a conclusive result.