Does the magnetic field decrease in a Zeeman slower as atoms slow down?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of a decreasing magnetic field in atom trapping. The goal is to increase the field so that less blue-shifted photons can fit into the energy gap between the excited and ground state of the atom. However, this is counter-intuitive as decreasing the magnetic field actually lowers the energy of the transition and brings the laser closer to resonance. The explanation for this is due to the selection rule and the behavior of the energy levels with respect to a magnetic field.
throneoo
Background: I have limited knowledge on QM and only know that magnetic fields split the energy levels of an atom

It seems counter-intuitive to me that as the atoms slow down along the tube the magnetic field strength decreases
http://es1.ph.man.ac.uk/AJM2/Atomtrapping/Zeeman-B-field.jpg

as far as I understand, the point is to increase the field so the less blue-shifted photons can fit into the energy gap between the excited and ground state , which is decreased by amplifying the effects of the splitting

Apparently it isn't the case, as shown by the figure. So where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
throneoo said:
blue-shifted photons
The laser is red-shifted from the atomic transition (including the magnetic field). The Doppler effect brings it closer to resonance, where scattering is strong. But as it slows down, the atom sees the laser light as being more and more red-detuned. Decreasing the magnetic field lowers the energy of the transition, such that the laser is again close to resonance.

DrClaude said:
The laser is red-shifted from the atomic transition (including the magnetic field). The Doppler effect brings it closer to resonance, where scattering is strong. But as it slows down, the atom sees the laser light as being more and more red-detuned. Decreasing the magnetic field lowers the energy of the transition, such that the laser is again close to resonance.
My confusion is actually about is the field's effect on the energy levels. Surely if they split, the energy gap between the highest ground state and the lowest excited state will decrease and that gap is wider with a weaker magnetic field? So I don't see how that helps the transition.

After doing some reading, I think the selection rule has something to do with this, as it negates my assumption that the electron can jump between any two states.

You want the cooling transition to be a closed one, so yes, selection rules play a role. But what is more important for your question is what is the behavior of the two levels used for cooling with respect to a magnetic field. Experimenters use a decreasing magnetic field because the chosen excited state gets shifted more than the ground state, and hence the separation in energy grows with the magnetic field.

Likes throneoo

What is a Zeeman slower and how does it work?

A Zeeman slower is a device used to slow down a beam of atoms and cool them to a lower temperature. It works by using a magnetic field to induce a frequency shift in the atoms, causing them to lose energy and slow down.

How does the Zeeman slower impact the temperature of the atoms?

The Zeeman slower is designed to reduce the velocity of the atoms, which in turn reduces their kinetic energy and lowers their temperature. This process is known as "cooling by laser slowing".

What is the ideal temperature range for using a Zeeman slower?

The ideal temperature range for using a Zeeman slower is typically between 100 and 500 microkelvin. At these temperatures, the atoms are cooled enough to be used for experiments, but still maintain their quantum properties.

What are the potential sources of confusion when using a Zeeman slower?

One potential source of confusion when using a Zeeman slower is understanding the complex magnetic field configurations required for optimal slowing. Another source of confusion can be interpreting the data collected from the slowed atoms and determining their exact temperature and velocity.

How does the Zeeman slower affect the accuracy of atomic measurements?

The Zeeman slower can improve the accuracy of atomic measurements by reducing the thermal motion of the atoms and minimizing the Doppler effect. This allows for more precise and controlled experiments to be performed on the slowed atoms.