Does the Null Space of a 2x3 Matrix Determine its Column Space?

In summary: If two of the three vectors already span all of ℝ2, adding another vector wouldn't reduce the span, would it?No, because the total span would be four vectors.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Let ##A## be a 2x3 matrix. If Nul(##A##) is a line through the origin in ℝ3, then Col(##A##) = ℝ2. Explain why.
Hint: Think about the number of pivots in ##A##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, Nul(##A##) is the set of all solutions to the equation ##Ax=0##.
Col(##A##) is the set of all linear combinations of the columns of ##A##.

If the Null Space forms a line in through the origin in ℝ3 that means... well I'm not sure what that means.

Looking at the hint, it appears there are at most 2 pivots in ##A## since there are only 2 entries in each vector. I'm not sure how this helps though.

The solution to the question says that since each row of ##A## has a pivot, the columns of ##A## span ℝ2. But I'm having trouble understanding this. I know that Col(##A##) = Span(##A_1, A_2, A_3##) and that a set of vectors ##V## in ℝn spans ℝn if every vector in ℝn is a linear combination of ##V_1, V_2, ... V_p##.

I don't know where I'm having trouble. I feel like I have everything sitting right in front of me and just put it all together.

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest approach is always an example. At least this is what I did since I'm not used to pivot elements, which indicate some sort of row manipulation to achieve a certain final form, and my null space is called the kernel and the column space the image. We have
$$
\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d& e & f\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}x\\y\\z \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}ax+by+cz \\ dx+ey+fz\end{bmatrix} \\
A : \mathbb{R}^3 \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^2
$$
One way to look at it is to examine the dimensions. We know that a three dimensional vector space is mapped to a two dimensional. This means here, that we lose one dimension (##\dim \operatorname{Nul}(A) = 1##) plus we keep two (##\dim \operatorname{Col}(A) =2)##) and this has to be equal to the ##3## we started with.

What does pivot element mean here? I suppose it is some kind of manipulation of the matrix to achieve a certain form (row echelon form or so). Best would be ##A' = \begin{bmatrix} 1& 0 & g \\ 0 & 1 & h\end{bmatrix}##. Can you get there? And if we then calculate ##\operatorname{Nul}(A') = \{\vec{x}\,\vert \, A'\cdot \vec{x}= 0 \}##, we get the parametrized (by ##z=(\vec{x}_3)##) form of the line that spans the null space.

More formally, think of the Rank-Nullity theorem: Dimension of rank+ Dimension of nullspace = Number of columns.

Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

Let ##A## be a 2x3 matrix. If Nul(##A##) is a line through the origin in ℝ3, then Col(##A##) = ℝ2. Explain why.
Hint: Think about the number of pivots in ##A##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the Null Space forms a line in through the origin in ℝ3 that means... well I'm not sure what that means.

I am not sure what type of answer you're looking for, but given a line has the form ##y=mx##; ##m## a Real number, and your linear map is ##L: \mathbb R^3 \rightarrow \mathbb R^2## that ##L(y)=0 ## iff ##y=mx##
fresh_42 said:
The easiest approach is always an example. At least this is what I did since I'm not used to pivot elements, which indicate some sort of row manipulation to achieve a certain final form, and my null space is called the kernel and the column space the image. We have
$$
\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d& e & f\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}x\\y\\z \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}ax+by+cz \\ dx+ey+fz\end{bmatrix} \\
A : \mathbb{R}^3 \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^2
$$
Notice Fresheimer's matrix , that the zero set is the intersection of ## ax+by+cz, dx+ey+fz ## , both of which are planes. Two planes intersect either empty ( if they are translates of each other) or at a line.

When it says that Nul(##A##) is a line through the origin, does that mean that there's a single free variable in the nullspace?

Drakkith said:
When it says that Nul(##A##) is a line through the origin, does that mean that there's a single free variable in the nullspace?
Precisely.

Alright. Given that Nul(##A##) has a free variable, then that means that ##Ax= \begin{bmatrix} a&b& c\\ d &e &f \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ z \end{bmatrix} = 0##

Multiplying gives us: ##Ax= \begin{bmatrix} cz\\ fz \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##

In order for ##Ax=0## to be valid, ##c## and ##f## must be zero. So ##A= \begin{bmatrix} a&b& 0\\ d &e &0 \end{bmatrix}##
Col(##A##) = Span{##A_1, A_2, A_3##} and the columns of ##A## span ℝ2.

But, isn't this true even if Nul(##A##) isn't a line through the origin? I don't see the significance of that part of the question. If two of the three vectors already span all of ℝ2, adding another vector wouldn't reduce the span, would it?

If you assume that the vector, which spans the null space and defines the line, i.e. its direction, already has the form ##\begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\ z\end{bmatrix}##, then you made a choice considering the basis vectors, namely, that the line is the third basis vector and the other two which all together span ##\mathbb{R}^3## are perpendicular to it. There is of course a basis, which does this. But we started with another, arbitrary orthonormal basis, for which the matrix of ##A## is given by ##\begin{bmatrix}a&b&c \\ d&e&f \end{bmatrix}## and the basis vectors have the coordinates ##\begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\1\end{bmatrix}##. In this basis, we cannot know whether the null space is identical to the third basis vector - it might or might not be the case.
$$
A \cdot \vec{x} = \begin{bmatrix}a&b&c \\ d&e&f \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}x\\y\\z\end{bmatrix} = 0 \\
\Longleftrightarrow \\
\begin{cases} ax+by+cz=0\\dx+ey+fz=0 \end{cases}
$$

The two equations each define a plane in three dimensional space. If we demand both to be true for the same choices of ##x,y,z## then this means we demand to be ##(x,y,z)## on both planes, i.e. the intersecting line - the one which spans the null space, as all points ##(x,y,z)## on the line are mapped by ##A## to the zero vector. Now row manipulation as those which lead to the row echelon form are nothing else than solving this system of linear equations by multiplying them or substracting them. Let's say we achieve the equations (and row echelon form)
$$
\begin{cases} x+gz=0\\y+hz=0 \end{cases}\\
\Longleftrightarrow \\
A' \cdot \vec{x} = \begin{bmatrix}1&0&g \\ 0&1&h \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}x\\y\\z\end{bmatrix} = 0
$$
Then ##\left\{\left. \begin{bmatrix}x \\y\\ z \end{bmatrix} \in \mathbb{R}^3 \, \right| \, A'\cdot \vec{x}= 0 \right\} = \left\{\left. \begin{bmatrix}x \\y\\ z \end{bmatrix} \in \mathbb{R}^3 \, \right| \, x=-gz\; , \;y=-hz \; \right\} = \left\{\left. \begin{bmatrix}-gz \\-hz \\ z \end{bmatrix} \in \mathbb{R}^3 \, \right| \, z \in \mathbb{R} \right\}##.

In physics the free variable ##z## is often abbreviated by ##t## as the (time) parameter of a walk along the line which here spans the null space. I'd say it is helpful to choose some numbers (small integers) for ##A## and draw the two planes given by the two equations, then see where they intersect, perform the calculations for the row echelon form and see whether the null space (intersection line) is given by the last equation as stated. E.g.
$$
A = \begin{bmatrix}-3 & 0 & -6 \\ 1 &4 &-2 \end{bmatrix}
$$
In this scenario, the null space isn't automatically spanned by a vector ##\begin{bmatrix}0&0&z\end{bmatrix}##. This is only the case, if it turns out that ##g=h=0##, but usually they aren't and the null space lies somehow diagonal according to the given basis. In the above, I didn't change the basis. (In general it could only be, that we need to shuffle the naming of ##x,y,z## in order to get the row echelon form above, which means a permutation of columns.)

Last edited:
I'm sorry Fresh, I'm a bit lost.

You can skip the first paragraph and start at the equations with ##A\vec{x}=0##. In any case, try to do the example at the end. I think I've chosen easy numbers so that even a drawing should be possible, but at least calculations should be easy. An example often helps better than any explanations.

fresh_42 said:
In any case, try to do the example at the end. I think I've chosen easy numbers so that even a drawing should be possible, but at least calculations should be easy. An example often helps better than any explanations.

I think I found the intersection of the planes as ##(-2t, t, t)##
After that I don't know what to do.

Yes, I have this, too. It is the null space of ##A##. And it is the intersection of, i.e. contained in both the planes given by the equations ##-3x-6z=0## and ##x+4y-2z=0##. If you like, then you can draw them in a coordinate system like this and check the result.
descartes.png

What do you want to do more? You have found ##g=2 \; , \;h=-1## in the notation of post #8. It should only show you, that the null space isn't automatically of the form ##\begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\z \end{bmatrix}##. To make it so, we would have to choose another basis, and the matrix of ##A## would have different numbers then.

To get the image of ##A##, we simply have all points of the form ##\left\{\left. A\cdot \vec{x} = \begin{bmatrix}-3x-6z \\ x+4y-2z\end{bmatrix} \right| x,y,z \in \mathbb{R}\right\}##. To get vectors which span it, we may choose any combinations of ##(x,y,z)##, e.g. ##(1,0,0)## and ##(0,1,0)## which would transform by ##A## to the vectors ##(-3,1)## and ##(0,4)##, resp., which span the image of ##A##, a two dimensional space. This is not automatically embedded in ##\mathbb{R}^3## because we changed vector spaces by ##A : U=\mathbb{R}^3 \longrightarrow V=\mathbb{R}^2##.

Attachments

• descartes.png
    descartes.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 382
Okay. I think all that makes sense.
So how does all of this help with the original question?

Oops, I confused the threads me thinks. But for
Drakkith said:
I don't know where I'm having trouble. I feel like I have everything sitting right in front of me and just put it all together.
the answer now is yes, as the example has everything in front of you. The pivot elements are the ones in ##A'## or the non-zero entries which remain in ##A## when transformed into row echelon form. That is ##A' = \begin{bmatrix}1&0&g \\ 0&1 &h \end{bmatrix}##, which translates to: The first two column vectors are linearly independent, so they span a two dimensional vector space, which is the image or column space of ##A##. And vice versa there have to be two linear independent vectors and thus two pivot elements in diagonal places if the column space is, as given, two dimensional. That the null space is at least one dimensional is given by the fact that ##A## loses a dimension. The fact that it isn't of higher dimension (as given), means, that at least two linear independent column vectors have to remain in any row echelon form of ##A##, which is the same as saying there are these two pivot elements diagonally placed.

Wait wait... if Nul(##A##) is a line through the origin in ℝ3, then as we've shown above it has one free variable. Since ##A## has three columns, and one contains a free variable, the other 2 have to be pivot columns. Since there are two pivot columns, Col(##A##) = ℝ2.

Is that right?

Yes. This is one way to look at it. The transformation from ##A## to ##A'## is just to figure out which is which.

What is the definition of column space of a matrix?

The column space of a matrix is the set of all possible linear combinations of the column vectors in that matrix.

How is the column space of a matrix related to its rank?

The column space of a matrix is equal to the span of its pivot columns, which also determines the rank of the matrix. Therefore, the number of linearly independent columns in a matrix is equal to its rank.

Can the column space of a matrix be empty?

No, the column space of a matrix cannot be empty as it always contains at least the zero vector, which is formed by taking all the coefficients as zero in the linear combination of the column vectors.

How can the column space of a matrix be calculated?

The column space of a matrix can be calculated by finding a basis for the column space, which can be done by reducing the matrix to its reduced row echelon form and taking the columns corresponding to the pivot positions as the basis vectors.

What is the relationship between the column space and row space of a matrix?

The column space and row space of a matrix are both subspaces of the underlying vector space. The column space is the span of the column vectors, while the row space is the span of the row vectors. They are related by the fact that the column space and row space have the same dimension, which is equal to the rank of the matrix.