Does the photon in a double slit experiment create many worlds?

In summary, the energy transfer is quantized, localized, and does not involve any collapse of the wavefunction.
entropy1
I can't find the anwer on this anywhere, so I hope I may ask it here.

My question: In a standard double slit experiment, according to the Many Worlds Interpretation, does the photon create different worlds with different impact locations of the photon?

So, without measuring which way information.

My use of terminology may be wanting, but the thread should be brief I think.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
does the photon create different worlds with different impact locations of the photon?
I would not think of it in terms of the photon “creating” anything, but yes, we do get different worlds for each possible photon detection at the screen. This analysis cannot be done sensibly without some understanding of the actual interaction between photon and screen (is a detection event the triggering of a photodetector? Breaking down a silver halide crystal in a photographic film? Or…?) so applying MWI here complicates things unnecessarily. It’s a poor choice for this problem.

Never forget: interpretations are tools that we use to help us reason about quantum problems. If an interpretation isn’t helping, we should try a different one. And if we ever think our choice of interpretation affects the predicted outcome of any experiment…. We’ve made a mistake somewhere.
So, without measuring which way information.
I’m not sure why you’re bringing up which-way information here?

Likes gentzen
Nugatory said:
I’m not sure why you’re bringing up which-way information here?
I thought that without which way information, that would ensure the photon taking different paths simultaneously. But a single slit might fullfil that requirement also, I don't know.

Nugatory said:
I would not think of it in terms of the photon “creating” anything, but yes, we do get different worlds for each possible photon detection at the screen. This analysis cannot be done sensibly without some understanding of the actual interaction between photon and screen (is a detection event the triggering of a photodetector? Breaking down a silver halide crystal in a photographic film? Or…?) so applying MWI here complicates things unnecessarily. It’s a poor choice for this problem.

Never forget: interpretations are tools that we use to help us reason about quantum problems. If an interpretation isn’t helping, we should try a different one. And if we ever think our choice of interpretation affects the predicted outcome of any experiment…. We’ve made a mistake somewhere.
I actually wanted to prove MWI unsuitable in this (to myself), so I agree on that. However, you bring up a good point that I have to consider further.

Nugatory said:
This analysis cannot be done sensibly without some understanding of the actual interaction between photon and screen (is a detection event the triggering of a photodetector? Breaking down a silver halide crystal in a photographic film? Or…?)
Does a transfer of energy from the EM field to the screen count as an outcome?

entropy1 said:
Does a transfer of energy from the EM field to the screen count as an outcome?
It is the only thing that counts as an outcome in this experiment. This energy transfer is what creates a dot on the screen and that’s the measurement we’re making in this experiment.

Likes DrChinese and vanhees71
Nugatory said:
It is the only thing that counts as an outcome in this experiment. This energy transfer is what creates a dot on the screen and that’s the measurement we’re making in this experiment.
This thing puzzles me:

So the energy transfer is quantized, right? Does that mean it has to be localized? And does that mean the wavefunction has to collapse?

entropy1 said:
This thing puzzles me:

So the energy transfer is quantized, right? Does that mean it has to be localized? And does that mean the wavefunction has to collapse?
The electromagnetic field has transferred a particular amount of energy to the screen so we could say that the energy transfer is quantized.

It happens at a single point (within the resolution of our detector) so we could say that it is localized.

This thread is about MWI, and there is no collapse in MWI.

Last edited:
I am hesitant to start threads because Peter told me they should be based on scientific articles, which makes sense if you want to attract physicists to the site, which I am not. A thing like this just seems so simple but given what Feynman said and given I am not a physicist, it could not be.

Last edited:
The requirement that there be some relationship to mainstream science is necessary for (at least ) two reasons: it requires the questioner to do enough research to circumscribe and define her question, and it provides a common ground (a reference) from which both questioner and " teacher" can proceed.
Doing less than this leads quickly to chaos and nobody profits from the interchange
entropy1 said:
A thing like this just seems so simple but given what Feynman said and given I am not a physisist, it could not be.
For instance I have no idea what "Feynman said" refers to. If you quote someone it needs to be referenced. Feynman said many many things.

hutchphd said:
For instance I have no idea what "Feynman said" refers to. If you quote someone it needs to be referenced. Feynman said many many things.
I think the Feynman quote is something like: “If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don’t understand quantum mechanics.”

I interpret this something like: "You don't understand quantum mechanics.", and that as like: "Everything about quantum mechanics should be obscure to you."

Last edited:
If you wish to quote someone, then quote them with references. Anything less is laziness and unfair to the subject as well as your reader.

hutchphd said:
If you wish to quote someone, then quote them with references. Anything less is laziness and unfair to the subject as well as your reader.
I guess you are right.

Likes hutchphd
entropy1 said:
I am hesitant to start threads because Peter told me they should be based on scientific articles
You said in the OP that you couldn't find the answer anywhere, which implies that you couldn't find a scientific article or other source that answered your question.

entropy1 said:
given what Feynman said
If you couldn't find an answer to your question in any scientific source, what does it matter what Feynman said?

If what Feynman said does matter, then, as others have already pointed out, you need to give a specific reference to a specific thing Feynman said so we know what you are talking about.

Likes hutchphd
PeterDonis said:
You said in the OP that you couldn't find the answer anywhere, which implies that you couldn't find a scientific article or other source that answered your question.
That is right. That is why I returned to PF to ask about it. As for opening another thread, that was about my follow up questions in response to Nugatory that actually were off topic, of which I was alerted by Nugatory that I should open another thread.
Nugatory said:
Feynman was about his quote.

entropy1 said:
Feynman was about his quote.
The quote you refer to in #11 was hardly a scientific statement.

PeterDonis said:
The quote you refer to in #11 was hardly a scientific statement.
Oh, I thought post #9 was in response to Nugatory about opening threads, but I must be mistaking. The reason (for #9) could also have been this:
Nugatory said:
If it was, it is pretty unclear, I agree.

entropy1 said:
I thought post #9 was in response to Nugatory about opening threads, but I must be mistaking.
You mean you don't know what you were responding to when you posted post #9?

PeterDonis said:
You mean you don't know what you were responding to when you posted post #9?
I can only say that I thought that #9 was in response to Nugatory advising me to open another topic because I went off topic. And I see he has edited his post. So it could be that that is the confusion.

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
I can only say that I thought that #9 was in response to Nugatory advising me to open another topic because I went off topic. And I see he has edited his post. So it could be that that is the confusion.
The edit was to remove an unnecessary punctuation mark, not changing the meaning of anything I said. You asked three questions, and I answered all three in order.

“This thread is about MWI, and there is no collapse in MWI” seems like a clear enough answer to your question “And does that mean the wavefunction has to collapse?” when you’ve started this thread asking about MWI.

Likes dextercioby
Nugatory said:
The edit was to remove an unnecessary punctuation mark, not changing the meaning of anything I said.
Then this was probably the reason I started about starting threads:
Nugatory said:
Now I think of it, I think it was. I figured that if I could not talk about Copenhagen in this thread because the word "Copenhagen" was not in the title of the thread, that I should start a new thread. But because I only started this thread to ask the question to which I could not find the answer anywhere, I did not do that. Furthermore I responded to Nugatory, among which with four questions I didn't plan but I was very glad to have that opportunity to ask.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the double slit experiment relate to the concept of many worlds?

The double slit experiment is often used as an example to explain the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. According to this interpretation, the photon can exist in multiple states or "worlds" simultaneously, and it is only when it is observed that it collapses into a single state.

3. What evidence supports the idea of many worlds in the double slit experiment?

The interference pattern observed in the double slit experiment is seen as evidence for the existence of many worlds. This is because the pattern is created by the photon interfering with itself, suggesting that it exists in multiple states at the same time.

4. Are there any alternative explanations for the results of the double slit experiment?

Yes, there are alternative interpretations of the double slit experiment, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, which suggests that the photon does not exist in multiple states but rather its behavior is probabilistic and determined by the act of observation.

5. How does the concept of many worlds impact our understanding of reality?

The idea of many worlds challenges our traditional understanding of reality and suggests that there may be an infinite number of parallel universes coexisting with our own. However, this is still a highly debated topic in the scientific community and there is no conclusive evidence for the existence of many worlds.