Does there need to be a difference in pressure for a fluid to accelerate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pressure and acceleration in fluid motion. It is stated that there is always a force associated with an acceleration, and this can come from pressure difference or momentum transfer. Bernoulli's equation is mentioned as a statement of energy conservation and it states that the sum of pressure heads in a parcel of fluid is constant. The conversation also highlights the importance of defining symbols before using them.
miaou5
From some of the questions I'm encountering my text, it seems like the writers are implying that there always needs to be a difference in pressure for a fluid to accelerate (by this I mean a difference between the Pi and Pf values on either side of Bernoulli's equation). But is this really true? For instance, in Toricelli's result, the velocity(f) is different from the velocity(i), but the Pi and Pf values are the same. Thus the fluid has experienced a change in velocity, but there is no difference in pressure. Am I misunderstanding this concept? Thank you all so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Good morning, miaou5 and welcome to Physics Forums.

There is always a force associated with an acceleration

Force = mass x acceleration = rate of change of momentum (Newton 2)

This force can arise in many ways. In the case of fluid motion it arises from pressure difference or momentum transfer.

Don't forget that acceleration and momentum are a vector quantities so change of direction qualifies for the generation of force as well as change of magnitude.

Bernoulli's equation is a statement of energy conservation. In the absence of an external agent energy is constant. This is often measured as 'pressure head' (a measure of potential energy).

In this form B states that the sum of the pressure heads due to static potential energy, gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are constant for a given parcel of fluid.
So if the fluid accelerates The kinetic head increases and one or both of the other two decrease.

I do not know what Pi and Pf are, you should always predefine your symbols before using them.

Related to Does there need to be a difference in pressure for a fluid to accelerate?

1. Does the difference in pressure affect the speed of fluid flow?

Yes, the difference in pressure is one of the main factors that determines the speed of fluid flow. The greater the difference in pressure, the faster the fluid will accelerate and flow.

2. What is meant by the term "pressure difference" in relation to fluid flow?

The pressure difference refers to the difference in pressure between two points in a fluid system. It is the driving force that causes the fluid to move from an area of higher pressure to an area of lower pressure.

3. How does the pressure difference affect the direction of fluid flow?

The pressure difference determines the direction of fluid flow. Fluid will always flow from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure, regardless of the type of fluid or the medium it is flowing through.

4. Is there a minimum pressure difference required for fluid to accelerate?

Yes, there is a minimum pressure difference required for fluid to accelerate. This is known as the critical pressure difference, and it varies depending on the properties of the fluid and the medium it is flowing through.

5. Can fluid flow without a pressure difference?

No, fluid cannot flow without a pressure difference. The pressure difference is what drives the fluid to move, and without it, there would be no force to overcome the internal friction of the fluid and initiate flow.