Does this formula accurately represent the behavior of the zeta function?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the behavior of the zeta function, specifically in relation to the distribution of its results. The zeta function is defined as a sum of terms, with each term depending on the index n. As n increases, the n^1/2 term will decrease the modulus and rotate the phasor, resulting in the zeta function encountering fewer primes as it iterates. However, this statement is not entirely clear and needs further clarification in terms of what is meant by "valid understanding" and "behavior." Additionally, the zeta function does not depend on n, but on s, and therefore the statement is not entirely accurate. Further discussion is needed to fully understand the distribution of results in the complex
mustang19
Consider

Z(s)=Sum(1/N^s)

For n=1 to infinity.

Let s=(xi+1/2).

The divisor is then:

N^(xi+1/2)

This is equivalent to

(N^xi)(N^(1/2))

As n increases, the n^1/2 term will more greatly slow the increase of the divisor and accelerate z(s) away from zero. This means that zeroes will occur less often for larger n. The 1/2 term is necessary so that the zeta function z(s) will encounter fewer primes as it iterates.

Is this a valid understanding of z(s)' behavior?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, your notation is inconsistent. That is usually a sign of an incomplete understanding.
Zeta Function: ##\zeta (s) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^s} : s\in \mathbb{C}##
... you are considering the case where ##0<\Re(s)<1##.

There is a lot written on the zeta function, have you tried refining your question from these resources?
What do you mean by "valid" and "behaviour"?

mustang19 said:
This means that zeroes will occur less often for larger n.
There is no "zeta function for different n". Z(s) depends on s only.
mustang19 said:
The 1/2 term is necessary so that the zeta function z(s) will encounter fewer primes as it iterates.
That doesn't make sense.

mfb said:
That doesn't make sense.

Without the 1/2 term z(s) would be relatively smaller for larger n, thus finding more zeroes, which is not how primes behave.

I did not say there was a zeta function for different n. I am talking about n in the summation term.

Valid means true, behavior means the distribution of results.

Last edited:
Without the 1/2 the zeta function doesn't have any zeros (apart from the trivial ones) - probably. You don't find "more zeros" if there is no zero at all.

Valid means true, behaviour means the distribution of results.
... my point was that your description did not make sense, and I needed you to clarify what you meant. So let's recap: by -
"Is this a valid understanding of z(s)' behavior?"
... you are asking if "is [statement] a true understanding of z(s) distribution of results?"
The "statement" being this:
As n increases, the n^1/2 term will more greatly slow the increase of the divisor and accelerate z(s) away from zero. This means that zeroes will occur less often for larger n. The 1/2 term is necessary so that the zeta function z(s) will encounter fewer primes as it iterates.
... well, that's still pretty vague.
Don't know what you mean by "more greatly slow the increase in the divisor" - more greatly that what?
I think you need to go through the whole "statement" line by line and try to use less ambiguous terms so we don't have to guess what you are talking about.

As pointed out, z(s) does not depend on n but on s. Therefore, as written, "statement" is not true. You responded with:
I did not say there was a zeta function for different n. I am talking about n in the summation term.
OK I get that... when you said z(s) you actually meant "the terms in the sum that leads to z(s)". You didn't actually say that though - hence the misunderstanding.
This goes to the comment on notation in post #2. Try:
$$\zeta(s)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \zeta_n(s) : \zeta_n(s)=\frac{1}{n^s}$$
... so, back to translating your question, you are actually wanting to ask: "is [statement] a true understanding of the distribution of ##\zeta_n(s)## with ##n##?"
... ie. are you asking about how the individual ##\zeta_n## vary in the sum, treating each ##\zeta_n## as a continuation of an ordered series of complex functions?

That about right?

The bit about primes still doesn't make sense, and you have not told us what you mean by "distribution of results" (Things get distributed with respect to something... what?) or what you mean by "results". How would you represent a "result"?
I mean, for fixed s, the output of ##\zeta_n## is distributed in the complex plane as ##1/n^s## ... this can be mapped out in the complex plane by allowing x and y to vary by ##s=x+iy##.

Off the preamble in post #1: picking x=1/2, the zeta function terms become:

$$\zeta_n(y) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{n^{iy}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}e^{-iy\ln(n)}$$ ... errrr something like that right?
The effect of increasing ##n## is to decrease the modulus and rotate the phasor.
... But all this assumes I have understood you correctly, and I am not confident of that.

The process of trying to communicate an idea clearly will help you understand. I think you should try again: what is it that you are trying to understand?

Aside: it helps to write clear equations if you use LaTeX.

Simon Bridge said:
... my point was that your description did not make sense, and I needed you to clarify what you meant. So let's recap: by -
"Is this a valid understanding of z(s)' behavior?"
... you are asking if "is [statement] a true understanding of z(s) distribution of results?"
The "statement" being this:
... well, that's still pretty vague.
Don't know what you mean by "more greatly slow the increase in the divisor" - more greatly that what?
I think you need to go through the whole "statement" line by line and try to use less ambiguous terms so we don't have to guess what you are talking about.

As pointed out, z(s) does not depend on n but on s. Therefore, as written, "statement" is not true. You responded with:
OK I get that... when you said z(s) you actually meant "the terms in the sum that leads to z(s)". You didn't actually say that though - hence the misunderstanding.
This goes to the comment on notation in post #2. Try:
$$\zeta(s)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \zeta_n(s) : \zeta_n(s)=\frac{1}{n^s}$$
... so, back to translating your question, you are actually wanting to ask: "is [statement] a true understanding of the distribution of ##\zeta_n(s)## with ##n##?"
... ie. are you asking about how the individual ##\zeta_n## vary in the sum, treating each ##\zeta_n## as a continuation of an ordered series of complex functions?

That about right?

The bit about primes still doesn't make sense, and you have not told us what you mean by "distribution of results" (Things get distributed with respect to something... what?) or what you mean by "results". How would you represent a "result"?
I mean, for fixed s, the output of ##\zeta_n## is distributed in the complex plane as ##1/n^s## ... this can be mapped out in the complex plane by allowing x and y to vary by ##s=x+iy##.

Off the preamble in post #1: picking x=1/2, the zeta function terms become:

$$\zeta_n(y) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{n^{iy}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}e^{-iy\ln(n)}$$ ... errrr something like that right?
The effect of increasing ##n## is to decrease the modulus and rotate the phasor.
... But all this assumes I have understood you correctly, and I am not confident of that.

The process of trying to communicate an idea clearly will help you understand. I think you should try again: what is it that you are trying to understand?

Aside: it helps to write clear equations if you use LaTeX.

You're absolutely correct. Thank you.

Primes are less common among large numbers. The 1/2 term acts as a square root that causes z(s) to conform to this behavior.

Eliminating the 1/2 results in no zeroes being found, and adjusting the value of this term to something slightly greater will also cause it to deviate from the log2 behavior of the Chevyshev function. Remember that:

pKepbQu.jpg

The concept of behavior is explained here for polynomials, although the concept could be applied to any function, and not just "end behavior".

http://www.varsitytutors.com/hotmath/hotmath_help/topics/end-behavior-of-a-function

mustang19 said:
You're absolutely correct. Thank you.
You're welcome. What about? I talked about more than one thing... so once more, when you receive a direction about being vague, you respond with more vagueness.

Primes are less common among large numbers.
... this does not make sense. I can guess what you are trying to say but why are you making me guess?!

The 1/2 term acts as a square root that causes z(s) to conform to this behavior.
... to what behaviour?

The concept of behavior is explained here for polynomials, although the concept could be applied to any function, and not just "end behavior".
http://www.varsitytutors.com/hotmath/hotmath_help/topics/end-behavior-of-a-function
... that page describes the "end behaviour" for functions, using polynomials as an example.
That is what happens to ##f(x):x\in\mathbb{R}## as ##x\to\pm\infty## ... do you mean that you are interested in ##\zeta_n(y)## as ##y\to\pm\infty## (as described in post #6)?

Right now, every individual word in your original question has changed meaning from what you wrote.
I think you should start again - but it does strongly appear that you do not understand what you are trying to write about.

I am going to give up here.
I do not know what you are talking about and you don't seem to be able to tell me.
Good luck.

I understand I am not presenting a rigorous proof the riemann hypothesis. I am explaining why it cannot be resolved. Good day.

At least I want to know why the zeta function isn't presented in this simplified form:

Z(s) ~ 1/(n^(xi+1/2))

= 1/((n^xi)(sqrt(n)))
= (1/n^xi)(1/sqrt(n))
=(1/n^xi)(n^2)
=(n^2)/(n^xi)

From this simplification its clear that the "1/2" is really the square of n from which primes are factored out.

mustang19 said:
At least I want to know why the zeta function isn't presented in this simplified form:

Z(s) ~ 1/(n^(xi+1/2))
For one reason, because the right hand side does not depend on s and does depend on free variables n and xi, whatever those are supposed to be.

That doesn't make sense at all. You cannot ignore the summation over n, and the left hand side does not depend on n so the right hand side cannot depend on n either.

Its just an example.

Anyway mathematicians already understand the proof of RH they just don't have a rigorous way of expressing it. This is RH:

cCKWrYf.jpg

The logx term is simply from the prime number theorem. The square root term is x raised to the 1/2 power and just represents the fact that you only have to test numbers less than or equal to the square root of x for primes.

"Anyway mathematicians already understand the proof of RH they just don't have a rigorous way of expressing it."

Please provide a basis for your claim that ANYONE understands a proof of RH. A significant minority of mathematicians think it is likely untrue. Further, there is wide disagreement on what is the most likely broad direction a proof might take, with none coming close.

I would say your formula is a well known consequence of RH being true, rather than a statement of RH itself. Do you have a reference for the converse (that this error bound implies RH)?

Likes mfb

1. What is the zeta function and why is it important in mathematics?

The zeta function, denoted by ζ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined for all complex numbers x with a real part greater than 1. It is important in mathematics because it is closely related to prime numbers and plays a crucial role in the study of number theory.

2. How does the behavior of the zeta function change as x varies?

As x varies, the behavior of the zeta function changes drastically. When x is less than 1, the zeta function is undefined. When x is between 1 and 2, the zeta function has a pole at x=1 and is decreasing. When x is greater than 2, the zeta function is convergent and approaches 1. The behavior of the zeta function is also closely related to the distribution of prime numbers.

3. What is the Riemann Hypothesis and how does it relate to the zeta function?

The Riemann Hypothesis is one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics, which states that all non-trivial zeros of the zeta function lie on the critical line x=1/2. This hypothesis has important implications for the distribution of prime numbers and is closely related to the behavior of the zeta function.

4. How is the behavior of the zeta function related to the distribution of prime numbers?

The behavior of the zeta function is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers through the Prime Number Theorem. This theorem states that the number of primes less than or equal to a given number x is approximately x/ln(x). The zeta function plays a crucial role in proving this theorem and understanding the distribution of prime numbers.

5. Are there any applications of the behavior of the zeta function?

While the behavior of the zeta function may seem abstract and theoretical, it has many important applications in various fields of mathematics and science. For example, it is used in cryptography, random matrix theory, and physics. Additionally, understanding the behavior of the zeta function can lead to further advancements in the study of prime numbers and number theory.