Question about Digamma function and infinite sums

In summary, the conversation discusses the zeta function and its sum, which can also be expressed as an integral. The Wolfram Alpha tool provides a relation for the Digamma function, which is defined as the "zero" digamma function and has multiple expressions as sums. The conversation ends with a request for someone to show the relation between the zeta function and the Digamma function.
MAGNIBORO
hi, I'm solving solving a problem about sums of zeta function and I'm come to the following conclusion
$$\sum _{n=2}^{\infty }{\frac {\zeta \left( n \right) }{{k}^{n}}}=
\sum _{s=1}^{\infty } \left( {\it ks} \left( {\it ks}-1 \right)
\right) ^{-1}=\int_{0}^{1}\!{\frac {{u}^{k-2}}{\sum _{i=0}^{k-1}{u}^{i}}}\,{\rm d}u,\: \:\: \: \forall k, \: \:k\geq 2 \: \: and \: \: k\in \mathbb{N}$$

and from wolfram alpha tell me that

$$=-{\frac {1}{k} \left( \psi \left( 1-{k}^{-1} \right) +\gamma \right) }$$
where the ##\psi## is the "zero" digamma function (I don't know how It is said )
I don't know what is that true and I would like someone to show me this relation. thx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Digamma function is defined as ##\psi(z) = \frac{\Gamma'(z)}{\Gamma(z)}## and has many expressions as sums, one of which is ##\psi(z+1) = -\gamma + \sum \frac{z}{n(n + z)}##
Replace z by -1/k you get
##\psi(1-\frac{1}{k}) = - \gamma + \sum -\frac{\frac{1}{k}}{n(n-\frac{1}{k})}##
##-\frac{1}{k}\psi(1-\frac{1}{k}) = \frac{\gamma}{k} + \sum -\frac{\frac{1}{k}}{n(nk-1)}##
##-\frac{1}{k}\psi(1-\frac{1}{k}) - \frac{\gamma}{k} = \sum -\frac{\frac{1}{k}}{n(nk-1)}##

Likes MAGNIBORO
thierrykauf said:
The Digamma function is defined as ##\psi(z) = \frac{\Gamma'(z)}{\Gamma(z)}## and has many expressions as sums, one of which is ##\psi(z+1) = -\gamma + \sum \frac{z}{n(n + z)}##
Replace z by -1/k you get
##\psi(1-\frac{1}{k}) = - \gamma + \sum -\frac{\frac{1}{k}}{n(n-\frac{1}{k})}##
##-\frac{1}{k}\psi(1-\frac{1}{k}) = \frac{\gamma}{k} + \sum -\frac{\frac{1}{k}}{n(nk-1)}##
##-\frac{1}{k}\psi(1-\frac{1}{k}) - \frac{\gamma}{k} = \sum -\frac{\frac{1}{k}}{n(nk-1)}##
thnx =D

Related to Question about Digamma function and infinite sums

1. What is the Digamma function?

The Digamma function, denoted by the Greek letter ψ or Ψ, is a special function in mathematics that is defined as the logarithmic derivative of the gamma function. It is closely related to the polygamma function and has important applications in various fields such as number theory, physics, and statistics.

2. How is the Digamma function related to infinite sums?

The Digamma function is used to evaluate and simplify infinite sums involving the harmonic numbers. These sums can be expressed in terms of the Digamma function, which provides a more efficient way of calculating them. Additionally, the Digamma function is involved in the asymptotic expansion of the logarithm of the gamma function, which is used in the Stirling's series for approximating factorials.

3. Can the Digamma function be extended to complex numbers?

Yes, the Digamma function can be extended to complex numbers. However, it has a branch cut along the negative real axis, which means that its values can differ depending on the path taken to reach a point on the complex plane. This can lead to complications in some applications, and alternative functions such as the polygamma function may be used instead.

4. What is the relationship between the Digamma function and the Riemann zeta function?

The Digamma function is closely related to the Riemann zeta function, which is defined as an infinite sum of the reciprocal of natural numbers raised to a power. In fact, the Digamma function can be expressed in terms of the Riemann zeta function by taking the derivative of the zeta function and then evaluating it at a specific value. This relationship allows for the evaluation of certain infinite sums in terms of the Riemann zeta function.

5. Can the Digamma function be calculated numerically?

Yes, the Digamma function can be calculated numerically using various methods such as series expansions, recurrence relations, and continued fractions. However, due to the branch cut along the negative real axis, special care must be taken to ensure the correct branch of the function is used in the calculations. There are also software libraries and online calculators available for computing the values of the Digamma function.