Does this kind of square matrix exist?

In summary, the conversation discusses an arbitrary matrix A and its relation to A^2=A. It is found that A can be either I or 0 and there are other values it can take, such as any square matrix with a determinant of 0 or any matrix where |A-I| = 0. This type of matrix is called a projection operator. It is also mentioned that the ring of matrices is not an integral domain and there are always solutions to A^n=I, such as rotation by an angle 2π/n. In particular, in dimension 2 there is a whole family of examples, known as idempotent matrices.
Trollfaz
I had a homework question that gives A as an arbitrary matrix. Then the question states that A^2=A
Now I manipulate the equation to give this
A^2-A=0. -->A(A-I)= 0
So A can be I or 0
Are there any other values A can take?

Likes anuttarasammyak
Physics news on Phys.org
For an example
[tex]A=\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&1&0\\0&0&0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
satisfies the relation. It is I for some dimension, 0 for others. In general it is named as projection operator.

Last edited:
Likes mathwonk, jasonRF and PeroK
Trollfaz said:
I had a homework question that gives A as an arbitrary matrix. Then the question states that A^2=A
A^2-A=0. -->A(A-I)= 0
So A can be I or 0
Yes, lots more. Since ##A^2 - A = 0## (i.e., the zero matrix), then ##|A^2 - A| = |0|## or ##|A||A - I| = |0|##.
The last equation is satisfied for any square matrix A whose determinant is zero, or any square matrix for which ##|A - I| = 0##. Any non-invertible matrix A will satisfy ##|A| = 0##, and similar for ##A - I##.
anuttarasammyak said:
It is I for some dimension, 0 for others. In general it is named as projection operator.
This is a somewhat confusing way to say that your example maps a vector <x, y, z> to <x, y, 0>.

Trollfaz said:
A^2-A=0. -->A(A-I)= 0
So A can be I or 0
Notice the ring of matrices is not an integral domain, i. e., ##AB=0 ## does not imply either A or B is zero. And notice there is always a solution to ##A^n=I##: Rotation by an angle ##2 \mathbb \pi/n ##

Last edited by a moderator:
These are called idempotent matrices. Even in dimension ##2##, there is a whole family of examples.

1. Does every square matrix have an inverse?

No, not every square matrix has an inverse. A square matrix must be both square (same number of rows and columns) and non-singular (determinant is non-zero) in order to have an inverse.

2. How do I determine if a square matrix is singular or non-singular?

A square matrix is singular if its determinant is equal to 0. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is non-singular and has an inverse.

3. Can a square matrix have more than one inverse?

No, a square matrix can only have one inverse. If a matrix has multiple inverses, it is not considered a valid inverse.

4. What is the difference between a square matrix and a non-square matrix?

A square matrix has the same number of rows and columns, while a non-square matrix has a different number of rows and columns. Additionally, only square matrices can have an inverse.

5. How do I find the inverse of a square matrix?

The inverse of a square matrix can be found by using the formula: A^-1 = (1/det(A)) * adj(A), where A is the original matrix and adj(A) is the adjugate matrix (transpose of the cofactor matrix).