Does this wave propagation problem make physical sense?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 1D wave propagation problem in a fluid, governed by mass and momentum equations with density, pressure, and velocity as variables. The isothermal condition is being questioned and it is determined that its validity depends on the strength of the wave, with weaker waves allowing for the assumption of isothermal conditions. Heat exchange plays a role in maintaining a constant temperature in isothermal conditions, but this is only possible with small amplitude waves. It is also mentioned that in gases, sound waves are adiabatic rather than isothermal, and that Newton's assumption of isothermal conditions led to inaccurate calculations of sound speed. The topic of liquids and their behavior in relation to isothermal conditions is also briefly touched upon.
hoomanya
Hi,

I'm trying to make sense of a wave propagation problem. It's a 1D problem, modelling propagation of density perturbations which travel like waves in a fluid. The problem is governed by the mass and momentum equations and density is related to pressure using the bulk modulus of the fluid. The variables are density ($\rho$), pressure (p) and velocity (v). Temperature (T) is constant. So the waves are essentially due to an interplay between p and $\rho$. The fluid is water.

I wanted to know whether the isothermal condition makes physical sense. I read somewhere that the isothermal conditions could be explained by the waves having enough time to exchange heat and maintain a constant T. I am guessing the problem is correct but struggling to understand it physically.

Please help, urgent.

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the strength of the wave. If it is weak enough, then assuming the medium to be isothermal is likely a decent approximation. If the wave is strong, especially if it is strong enough to form a shock, then it is absolutely not likely to be reasonable to assume the fluid is isothermal. How weak is "weak enough" is based on your own needs, as ultimately even small changes in ##\rho## and ##p## will result, most likely, in small changes in ##T##.

boneh3ad said:
It really depends on the strength of the wave. If it is weak enough, then assuming the medium to be isothermal is likely a decent approximation. If the wave is strong, especially if it is strong enough to form a shock, then it is absolutely not likely to be reasonable to assume the fluid is isothermal. How weak is "weak enough" is based on your own needs, as ultimately even small changes in ##\rho## and ##p## will result, most likely, in small changes in ##T##.

Thanks very much. By strong or weak, do you mean in terms of speed of propagation of the wave?
Also does this statement make sense "I read somewhere that the isothermal conditions could be explained by the waves having enough time to exchange heat and maintain a constant T"? Thanks again.

No I mean amplitude. Speed and amplitude may well have a relationship, but amplitude is the one that would be important for the effect on other parameters like temperature.

And yes the idea that heat can be exchanged to maintain a constant temperature makes some sense as far as I can reason. It would require a sufficiently small amplitude, though, such that any temperature disturbance introduced requires only negligible time to diffuse back into the nearby medium.

In gases the compressions in sound wave are adiabatic, not isothermal.
Newton assumed isothermal conditions and his calculated speeds of sound were significantly off.

nasu said:
Newton assumed isothermal conditions and his calculated speeds of sound were significantly off.

Very good point.

nasu said:
My fluid is water. How about liquids?

1. What is wave propagation and how does it work?

Wave propagation is the movement of energy through a medium, such as air or water. It works by creating oscillations or disturbances in the medium, which then travel through the medium and can be detected by a receiver.

2. What factors affect the propagation of waves?

The propagation of waves can be affected by various factors such as the type of medium, the frequency and amplitude of the wave, and the distance it needs to travel. Other factors include temperature, pressure, and the presence of obstacles or barriers in the medium.

3. How do scientists determine if a wave propagation problem makes physical sense?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations to analyze and predict the behavior of waves in different scenarios. They also conduct experiments and observations to validate their findings and ensure that they align with the laws of physics.

4. Can wave propagation be used to explain natural phenomena?

Yes, wave propagation plays a crucial role in explaining various natural phenomena, such as sound and light waves, earthquakes, and tsunamis. Understanding wave propagation also helps in studying and predicting weather patterns and climate change.

5. What are some applications of wave propagation in technology?

Wave propagation has numerous applications in technology, such as in wireless communication, radar systems, and medical imaging techniques like ultrasound. It is also used in earthquake and structural engineering to study the behavior of buildings and bridges under seismic waves.