Accoustic waves notions (propagation in a tube)

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pressure, overpressure, dilation, and elongation in a tube filled with fluid and how they can be affected by acoustic perturbations. It also raises questions about the differences between elongation and dilation, and why the fundamental principle of dynamics is written using mass over volume instead of just mass. The conversation also delves into the possibility of using a truncated cone made of paper to amplify sound and how to calculate the maximum intensity that can be obtained.
Cathr
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Please help me with this problem I am facing, I am lacking notions of acoustics and I would be very grateful if someone could clarify them:

A tube has a revolution symmetry arounf the ##x## axis and has a section dependent of the value of the abscissa (x), so the profile ##S(x)## is known. The tube is filled with a fluid with the density (mass/volume) at rest = m and the pressure P0. Whe call ##p(x,t)## the overpressure and ##e(x,t)## the elongation in the presence of an accoustic perturbation. The total pressure is ##P(x,t)=P0+p(x,t)##.

We admit the by applying the fundamental principle of dynamics for a slice of fluid of width dx at the x abscissa, we can show that the tube profile does not modify the relationship that is obtained for cylindrical tubes:

##\frac{dp}{dx}=-m \frac{d^2e}{dt^2}##

These were the given statemens, now the questions are:

1. Using the linear response approximation, write the relationship for the dilation D, the compressibility X and overpressure p.
2. Making sure to control the coherence of the approximation orders of the different terms, show that:
##D=\frac{1}{S} \frac{d(Se)}{dx} ##

There are notions here that I don't quite understand. What is the difference between the elongation e and the dilation D? What do they correspond to?

Why, when writing the fundamental principle of dynamics (F=Ma) we don't use the mass, but the mass over volume for the fluid?

I would really like to know the relationships between these variables, as I searched everywhere I could and didn't find. Thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cathr said:
What is the difference between the elongation e and the dilation D?
Analysing the equations given dimensionally, I see that m is a density, e is a distance, but D is dimensionless. So maybe D is the fractional expansion of a region... but then, it would have a simple relationship to pressure, no?
Not sure how S is defined. From the description, I would have guessed radius, but from the equations it looks like cross sectional area.
Cathr said:
when writing the fundamental principle of dynamics (F=Ma) we don't use the mass, but the mass over volume for the fluid?
On the left it is dp/dx, a pressure gradient. If you consider a small volume, the net force acting is pressure gradient multiplied by the volume. So you can go from F=ma to dp/dx=ρa by dividing by the volume of the element.

Last edited:
Likes Cathr
haruspex said:
On the left it is dp/dx, a pressure gradient. If you consider a small volume, the net force acting is pressure gradient multiplied by the volume. So you can go from F=ma to dp/dx=ρa by dividing by the volume of the element.

Thank you!
I found a solution, and, if you don't mind, I have a question that is rather out of personal interest. How can I calculate the amplitude of a sound wave that gets out of the tube, comparing to the one that enters?

Direct application: Suppose I don't like the sound intensity of my phone, and I want to amplify it. Is it possible to do this using a truncated cone out of paper? If so, how can I calculate the maximum intensity that I can obtain? This is, of course, in function of the radiuses of the truncated cones, or their ratio.

Cathr said:
Thank you!
I found a solution, and, if you don't mind, I have a question that is rather out of personal interest. How can I calculate the amplitude of a sound wave that gets out of the tube, comparing to the one that enters?

Direct application: Suppose I don't like the sound intensity of my phone, and I want to amplify it. Is it possible to do this using a truncated cone out of paper? If so, how can I calculate the maximum intensity that I can obtain? This is, of course, in function of the radiuses of the truncated cones, or their ratio.
By consrvation of energy, the only way you could increase the amplitude is to narrow the wavefront. But at a given distance from the speaker, the wave will still spread over the same area, so that won't help. You would need to channel the sound or get the outlet closer to your ear.

Likes Cathr

1. What are acoustic waves?

Acoustic waves are mechanical waves that travel through a medium, such as air or water, and are caused by vibrations or disturbances. They are also known as sound waves and can be heard by the human ear.

2. How do acoustic waves propagate in a tube?

Acoustic waves propagate in a tube by causing the molecules of the medium to vibrate back and forth in a longitudinal direction. The wave travels through the tube until it reaches the other end, where it is either reflected or transmitted depending on the properties of the medium and the tube.

3. What factors affect the propagation of acoustic waves in a tube?

The propagation of acoustic waves in a tube can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the tube, the properties of the medium (such as density and temperature), and any obstacles or boundaries present in the tube that may cause reflections or interference.

4. What is the speed of acoustic waves in a tube?

The speed of acoustic waves in a tube depends on the properties of the medium and the tube itself. In general, the speed of sound in a gas is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature, while in a liquid or solid it is directly proportional to the square root of the density.

5. How are acoustic waves used in real-world applications?

Acoustic waves have many practical applications, such as in ultrasound technology for medical imaging, sonar for underwater navigation, and acoustic communication systems for long-distance communication. They are also used in musical instruments and in noise cancellation technology.