Does time translational symmetry imply H'=0 or E'=0?

In summary, the Hamiltonian is a mathematical expression that represents the total energy of a system of particles, but it is not always equal to the total energy. It can only be considered the total energy if certain conditions are met, such as the potential energy being a function of the generalized coordinates and the kinetic energy being a homogeneous quadratic function of the generalized velocities. While time translational symmetry does imply the conservation of the Hamiltonian, it does not necessarily imply the conservation of the total energy. However, it is possible to derive the conservation of energy from the condition of ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}=0##, but it requires additional assumptions about the potential and the transformation equations between generalized and rectangular coordinates. It is also worth
davidbenari
The Hamiltonian is not always equal to the total energy. In fact the Hamiltonian for a system of particles could be defined as

##H=L-\sum \dot{q_i}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}}##

Which is the total energy only if the potential energy is a function of ##q_i## and if the kinetic energy is a homogeneous quadratic function of ##\dot{q_i}##.

I know how to show that the condition ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}=0## implies ##\frac{d}{dt}H=0##.

But I was left wondering: People always say time-translational symmetry implies conservation of energy, but I don't think this is the case. Time translational symmetry implies the conservation of the Hamiltonian, which may or may not be the total energy.

So which one is true? Does time translational symmetry imply conservation of the Hamiltonian or of the Energy?

In my opinion it could imply the energy too, given a good set of coordinates that aren't flying around in space w.r.t to an inertial frame such that it would involve time in your Lagrangian...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can always write the total energy as Hamiltonian. It might be possible to write down a proper Hamiltonian for things that are not the total energy (not sure), but that doesn't change the result of energy conservation.

Hmm. My book derives ##\frac{d}{dt}(L-\sum \dot{q}_i \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i})=0## from time translational symmetry. Where the quantity in parenthesis is ##-H##. In order to show ##H=K+U## you would need ##U=U(q_i)## and ##\sum \dot{q}_i\frac{\partial K}{\partial \dot{q}_i}=2K## (which is Eulers theorem for homogeneous functions). Also you need that the transformation equations between generalized coordinates and rectangular coordinates don't contain time.

Which makes sense once you verify those statements (I could post some of this work in case its not too clear). I don't see why total energy would always be the Hamiltonian given the restrictions above. Is there a theorem you could point me to? Something to ponder?

Thanks.

Is there a way to circumvent the Hamiltonian expression to derive ##\frac{d}{dt} E =0 ## from ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}=0##?

Also I've noticed many proofs of the typical statements of Noether's theorem aren't quite that general as people try to say. For example, "space translational symmetry implies conservation of linear momentum". Well, that requires that the potential be velocity independent. So its not as general as the sentence in quotations tries to imply. I guess most potentials are velocity independent though...

1. What is time translational symmetry?

Time translational symmetry is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the laws of physics remain unchanged over time. In other words, the laws of physics are the same today as they were yesterday, and will be the same tomorrow.

2. Does time translational symmetry imply H'=0 or E'=0?

No, time translational symmetry does not necessarily imply that H'=0 or E'=0. These equations, which represent the Hamiltonian and energy operators, respectively, are dependent on the specific system being studied and may be affected by other factors such as external forces or interactions with other systems.

3. How is time translational symmetry related to conservation of energy?

Time translational symmetry is closely related to the principle of conservation of energy. This principle states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. Time translational symmetry ensures that the laws of physics governing energy remain consistent over time, allowing for the conservation of energy to hold true.

4. Can time translational symmetry be violated?

In certain cases, time translational symmetry may be violated. This can occur in systems that are subject to external forces or interactions with other systems, causing changes in energy or other physical properties. However, these violations are typically only observed in extreme conditions and do not affect the overall validity of time translational symmetry.

5. What are the implications of time translational symmetry in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, time translational symmetry plays a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of the theory. It allows for the development of fundamental principles such as the time-energy uncertainty principle and the conservation of energy. Additionally, time translational symmetry is essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and their evolution over time.