Does Wave Refraction Change Wave Direction or Alignment

In summary, the conversation discusses the alignment and direction of waves when the water gets shallower. The speaker is seeking a detailed explanation for why their understanding may be incorrect. It is explained that the alignment and direction of waves are the same thing and that waves travel orthogonal to their crests or wavefronts. The comparison is also made to light traveling through a medium like glass.
Tom MS
I can't seem to find anything online that talks about this distinction. I understand how when the water gets shallower that part of the wave gets slowed down so the overall alignment parallels with the shore. However, I wouldn't think that would change the actual direction of the wave. I need a detailed explanation on why I'm probably wrong.
1204.jpg

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Tom MS said:
I can't seem to find anything online that talks about this distinction. I understand how when the water gets shallower that part of the wave gets slowed down so the overall alignment parallels with the shore. However, I wouldn't think that would change the actual direction of the wave. I need a detailed explanation on why I'm probably wrong.
1204.jpg
The energy is flowing at right angles to the alignment. In this respect, your diagram is incorrect on the sides of the promontory.

The alignment and the direction of the wave are the same thing.

It is identical to light going through a medium like glass.

mfb said:
The alignment and the direction of the wave are the same thing.

It is identical to light going through a medium like glass.
I was talking about the alignment of the crest relative to the shore and the direction that the wave form traveled.

Yes, and they are the same thing. Waves travel orthogonal to their crests/wavefronts.

Likes Tom MS

What is wave refraction?

Wave refraction is the bending of waves as they move from one medium to another. This usually occurs when waves move from deeper water to shallower water.

How does wave refraction affect wave direction?

Wave refraction changes the direction of waves, causing them to bend towards the shore in shallower water. This is due to the decrease in wave speed and increase in wavelength as the waves enter shallower water.

Does wave refraction change wave alignment?

Yes, wave refraction can also change wave alignment. As waves enter shallower water, they may become more parallel to the shore instead of being perpendicular. This is due to the change in direction caused by wave refraction.

Can wave refraction be affected by the shape of the coastline?

Yes, the shape of the coastline can affect wave refraction. For example, if there is a headland or bay, it can cause waves to refract around it, changing the direction and alignment of the waves.

Why is wave refraction important?

Wave refraction is important because it helps to shape coastlines and affects the energy and erosion of waves. It also influences the direction and alignment of waves, which can impact coastal structures and beaches.