Doing a problem on rings from Dummit & Foote I think I'm mis-reading it

• Thread starter farleyknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary: Yeah, I have an older edition too, I think the 2nd (I don't have it here with me). It has its share of typos but I doubt it's worth spending the money to upgrade unless you really want the new material from the 3rd. There is an errata list available here, in case you don't already have it:www.emba.uvm.edu/~foote/errata3w.pdf
farleyknight

Homework Statement

Decide which of the following are subrings of the ring of all functions from the closed interval [0,1] to R (the reals)

a) The set of all functions f(x) such that f(q) = 0 for all q in Q (the rationals) & q in [0, 1]
b) The set of all polynomial functions
c) The set of all functions which have only a finite number of zeros, together with the zero function
d) The set of all functions which have an infinite number of zeros.
e) The set of all functions f such that lim {x -> 1+} f(x) = 0
f) The set of all rational linear combinations of the functions sin(nx) and cos(mx) where m and n are non-negative integers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first one is pretty straight forward to show that it is a subring. But unless I'm mistaken, the sets mentioned from b to f aren't even subsets let alone subgroups or subrings since they can be defined on a larger domain than [0,1]. Am I correct? Or am I reading it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
farleyknight said:
The first one is pretty straight forward to show that it is a subring. But unless I'm mistaken, the sets mentioned from b to f aren't even subsets let alone subgroups or subrings since they can be defined on a larger domain than [0,1]. Am I correct? Or am I reading it wrong?

I'm sure they mean that you should assume in all six parts that the functions are from [0,1] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], except that doesn't make sense for part (e). Does it really say

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1^+}f(x)[/tex]?

Because that limit doesn't make sense if the function's domain is [0,1].

[Edit]: I just checked using the "look inside" feature on Amazon; in that edition (3rd) it reads

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1^-}f(x)[/tex]

which makes more sense.

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
I'm sure they mean that you should assume in all six parts that the functions are from [0,1] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], except that doesn't make sense for part (e). Does it really say

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1+}f(x)[/tex]?

Because that limit doesn't make sense if the function's domain is [0,1].

I'll take your word for it since that's the only conclusion I could come to myself.

But as for part (e), that is correct. You can search for the question inside the only online version I could find (page 231 in that edition):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471433349/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
farleyknight said:
I'll take your word for it since that's the only conclusion I could come to myself.

But as for part (e), that is correct. You can search for the question inside the only online version I could find (page 231 in that edition):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471433349/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Ha, you read my mind (see my edit above)! But I'm looking at 6(e) on page 231 in the Amazon viewer right now, even zooming into make sure. That's a minus sign, not a plus sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbunniii said:
Ha, you read my mind (see my edit above)! But I'm looking at 6(e) on page 231 in the Amazon viewer right now, even zooming into make sure. That's a minus sign, not a plus sign.

Ah crap, you're right. I read it wrong. Well, in my edition it is + not -.. I should probably get a newer edition :(

farleyknight said:
Ah crap, you're right. I read it wrong. Well, in my edition it is + not -.. I should probably get a newer edition :(

Yeah, I have an older edition too, I think the 2nd (I don't have it here with me). It has its share of typos but I doubt it's worth spending the money to upgrade unless you really want the new material from the 3rd. There is an errata list available here, in case you don't already have it:

www.emba.uvm.edu/~foote/errata3w.pdf

Related to Doing a problem on rings from Dummit & Foote I think I'm mis-reading it

1. How do I know if I am mis-reading a problem on rings from Dummit & Foote?

One way to know if you are mis-reading a problem is if your solution does not match the answer in the book or if you are struggling to make progress on the problem. It is also helpful to double check the definitions and theorems used in the problem to make sure you are understanding them correctly.

2. What should I do if I think I am mis-reading a problem on rings from Dummit & Foote?

If you think you are mis-reading a problem, it is important to take a step back and carefully re-read the problem and any relevant definitions and theorems. You can also try discussing the problem with a classmate or asking for clarification from your professor or TA.

3. How can I improve my understanding of problems on rings from Dummit & Foote?

One way to improve your understanding is by practicing similar problems and checking your work against the solutions provided in the book or by your professor. You can also try explaining the problem and your solution to someone else, as teaching is a great way to solidify your understanding.

4. Are there any resources that can help me with problems on rings from Dummit & Foote?

Yes, there are many resources available such as online forums, study groups, and tutoring services. Your professor or TA may also have office hours or be available for additional help. Additionally, there are often supplemental materials provided by the publisher or author of the textbook.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling with problems on rings from Dummit & Foote?

If you are still struggling with problems, it is important to seek help early on. This could include attending review sessions, seeking help from a tutor or classmate, or scheduling a meeting with your professor or TA. It is also important to stay organized and keep up with the material as you progress through the course.