Domain and how it relates to a Level Curve

In summary, the level curves for f=1, f=1/2, and f=1/3 are all parabolas that are shifted down according to what f=1. Anything inside the y=x^2-1 parabola is not consistent with the domain and should be "marked" off in the level curve. Y=x^2 is the part of the function that needs to be shaded out.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the domain of the function f(x,y) = 1/sqrt(x^2-y). Sketch the level curves f=1, f=1/2, f=1/3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Domain is rather simple to find: x^2>y AND x^2-y cannot equal 0.

Level curves are also simple to find. They are simply parabolas that are shifted down according to what f =1. For f=1 shift the parabola down 1. For f=1/2 shift the parabola down 4. For f=3 shift the parabola down 9.

My simple question is this: Upon looking at my level curve graph, I notice that anything inside the y=x^2-1 parabola is NOT consistent with the domain.
I would then 'mark' this section off in my level curve? (say, darken it out and clarify that it is NOT in the domain).
or
Would I leave it as is as it isn't needed in the level curve?

I can't seem to find a clear quick answer on google. Seems logical that I would clarify that it is not part of the graph.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Find the domain of the function f(x,y) = 1/sqrt(x^2-y). Sketch the level curves f=1, f=1/2, f=1/3.

Homework Equations

More simply, this is y < x2, all the points in the plane that are below the graph of y = x2.
RJLiberator said:
Level curves are also simple to find. They are simply parabolas that are shifted down according to what f =1. For f=1 shift the parabola down 1. For f=1/2 shift the parabola down 4. For f=3 shift the parabola down 9.

My simple question is this: Upon looking at my level curve graph, I notice that anything inside the y=x^2-1 parabola is NOT consistent with the domain.
How are you getting this? The point (0, -1/2) is "inside" the parabola y = x2 + 1, and f(0, -1/2) = ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{0 - (-1/2)}}## is defined.
RJLiberator said:
I would then 'mark' this section off in my level curve? (say, darken it out and clarify that it is NOT in the domain).
or
Would I leave it as is as it isn't needed in the level curve?

I can't seem to find a clear quick answer on google. Seems logical that I would clarify that it is not part of the graph.

Likes RJLiberator
anything inside the y=x^2-1 parabola
No need to go inside. Your level curve is that parabola itself, and it is completely inside the domain (i.e. below y = x2)

RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

It would be much clearer if you wrote how you got those (correct) statements. When you set ##f(x,y)=c## you have ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{x^2-y}} = c##. This immediately tells you that ##c>0##, there are no level curves for ##c\le 0##, and the simplified equations of the level curves are ##y=x^2-\frac 1 {c^2}##.

Likes RJLiberator
Okay, guys:
Thank you for the tips. I see that I was wrong to think that anything above y=x^2-1 is out of the domain.

However, this conversation leads me to believe that y=x^2 is the part that needs to be shaded out, correct?

RJLiberator said:
Okay, guys:
Thank you for the tips. I see that I was wrong to think that anything above y=x^2-1 is out of the domain.

However, this conversation leads me to believe that y=x^2 is the part that needs to be shaded out, correct?
And all of the points inside this parabola. Maybe that's what you meant, but it isn't what you said.

Likes RJLiberator
I thought it was y=x^2-1. I see my error thanks to your observations. I see that it is y=x^2 as the shaded part. :)

He ho, you do it again: y=x2 is a line, you can't shade that !

What do you mean? y=x^2 is a parabola and the shaded part is the region above y=x^2.

Yes, so the wording "I see that it is y=x^2 as the shaded part" keeps triggering folks like Mark and me to point out that that can't be done.

And you want to shade ##y\ge x^2## although it's difficult to distinguish from ## y > x^2 ## :)

(Not all lines are straight lines...)

Likes RJLiberator
Ahhhhhh
The inequality is the one that we are looking for. I understand. Thank you for pointing out the error in my wording.

1. What is a domain in relation to a level curve?

A domain is a set of input values for a function. In the context of a level curve, the domain represents the range of possible x and y values that can be inputted into the function.

2. How does a domain affect the shape of a level curve?

The domain can greatly impact the shape of a level curve. The size and range of the domain can determine the overall length and width of the curve, while the values within the domain can influence the curvature and direction of the curve.

3. Can a level curve have multiple domains?

Yes, a level curve can have multiple domains. This can occur when there are multiple variables in the function, each with their own set of input values. In these cases, the level curve will represent the points where all of the variables are held constant.

4. How does the domain of a function relate to the level curve's elevation?

The domain of a function does not directly affect the elevation of a level curve. The elevation of a level curve is determined by the output values of the function, which are represented by the contour lines on the curve.

5. Why is understanding the domain important in interpreting a level curve?

Understanding the domain is crucial in interpreting a level curve because it allows us to determine the range of input values that will produce specific output values. This information is necessary for accurately analyzing and interpreting the data represented by the level curve.