Doppler effect Formula manipulation

In summary, the conversation is about the Doppler effect formula and how to derive it. The formula is presented and the individual explains their attempt at solving it and how they got stuck. Another person then provides a step by step solution, combining terms on the right hand side with a common denominator to arrive at the final formula of v_{s}=\frac{v(f-f_{s})}{f}. The individual expresses their gratitude and confirms the correctness of the solution.
Trec93

Homework Statement

I have this Doppler effect formula, but I don't know how it was derived, I can't repeat the process myself to solve for speed of the source, I would really appreciate if someone could mathematicly solve this in steps, thank you very much.

Homework Equations

[tex]f=f_{s}\frac{v}{v-v_{s}} \Rightarrow v_{s}=\frac{v(f-f_{s})}{f}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I checked and this is the same thing as the equation above, but mine is messy and ugly, I don't know how to prepare "neaty" formulas like the one above, this often confuses me and forces me to do checks whether my formula is right or not.
[tex]v_{s}=\frac{-f_{s}v}{f}+v[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show, step by step, what you've tried and where you've become stuck.

gneill said:
Show, step by step, what you've tried and where you've become stuck.
Ok here's how I did it:

[tex]f=f_{s}\frac{v}{v-v_{s}}[/tex]
I multiplied this by: [tex](v-v_{s}) \Rightarrow f(v-v_{s})=f_{s}v[/tex]
Then I divided by F and subtracted v
[tex]-v_{s}=\frac{f_{s}v}{f}-v[/tex]

Finally I multiplied by the negative sign, that's my result:
[tex]v_{s}=\frac{-f_{s}v}{f}+v[/tex]

I know they both are equal because I checked, but I don't have the skill to make my formula "neat" I often don't understand how people derive their formulas, I hope you know what I mean, I can't transform my formula into one above.
[tex]\frac{v(f-f_{s})}{f} = \frac{-f_{s}v}{f}+v[/tex]

Combine the terms on the RHS with a common denominator.

Likes Trec93
gneill said:
Combine the terms on the RHS with a common denominator.
Like this?
[tex]v_{s}=\frac{-f_{s}v}{f}+\frac{vf}{f}[/tex]
Wait I see where this is going..
[tex]v_{s}=\frac{-f_{s}v+vf}{f}[/tex]
[tex]v_{s}=\frac{v(f-f_{s})}{f}[/tex]
Is this right?

Yup.

Likes Trec93
gneill said:
Yup.
Wow thank you.

1. What is the Doppler effect formula?

The Doppler effect formula is a mathematical expression that describes the change in frequency of a wave as a result of the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It is commonly represented as:

fobs = fsource (v ± vobs) / (v ± vsource)

Where fobs is the observed frequency, fsource is the source frequency, v is the speed of the wave, vobs is the velocity of the observer, and vsource is the velocity of the source.

2. How is the Doppler effect formula manipulated for different scenarios?

The Doppler effect formula can be manipulated by solving for different variables depending on the scenario. For example, if the velocity of the source is known but the observed frequency is unknown, the formula can be rearranged to solve for the observed frequency. Similarly, if the observed frequency and source frequency are known, the formula can be rearranged to solve for the velocity of either the observer or the source.

3. What is the significance of the plus and minus signs in the Doppler effect formula?

The plus and minus signs in the Doppler effect formula indicate whether the observer and source are moving towards each other (minus sign) or away from each other (plus sign). This is important because it affects the observed frequency of the wave. For example, if the observer is moving towards the source, the observed frequency will be higher, while if the observer is moving away from the source, the observed frequency will be lower.

4. Can the Doppler effect formula be used for all types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler effect formula can be used for all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. However, the speed of the wave must be known in order to accurately calculate the effect of the relative motion between the source and observer.

5. How is the Doppler effect formula applied in real-world situations?

The Doppler effect formula is used in various real-world situations, such as in radar and sonar systems to detect the speed and direction of moving objects, in medical imaging techniques to measure blood flow, and in astronomy to study the motion of celestial bodies. It is also used in everyday scenarios, such as the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance passes by or the change in frequency of a car horn as it approaches and then moves away from an observer.