Doppler Effect Investigatory Project

In summary, this person is looking for a way to measure the pitch change of a horn in a moving vehicle and compare it to a radar gun.
JGL
Can someone give me an idea on our Investigatory project about Doppler Effect...?

Our project shouldn't be amounting in an expensive one. I am only 4th year high school student and so confuse what project will i make... Please Help me guys.

Thanks in Advance Guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
help me guys please.. i need it T_T

hello to everyone there,i am also very problematic about our INVESTIGATORY PROJECT bacause i donnot have enough information about it... so i am looking somebody who has a knowledge about investigatory to help me in our projecc...please help us... our topic is to do a simple device that can be use in our school...i am llooking forward for an urgent reply for my request...thank you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a nice link for you: "Hacking the Hot Wheels Radar Gun"
http://www.edparadis.com/radar/

Note that the micro controller on that device can easily be reprogrammed using the open source software tools. It is also very cheap, only $30 :)

In post #4, I should have added "measuring the pitch change of a horn in a moving vehicle and comparing it to a radar gun."
Bob S

Bob S said:
Could you use some fast Fourier transform (fft) software to measure the doppler pitch change from a moving vehicle? See
http://www.top4download.com/free-fft-analysis/
Bob S

dmtr said:
Here is a nice link for you: "Hacking the Hot Wheels Radar Gun"
http://www.edparadis.com/radar/

Note that the micro controller on that device can easily be reprogrammed using the open source software tools. It is also very cheap, only $30 :)

wow they look complicated...
they need a small device...

the easiest experiment i can think of is having a dish of water moving something up and down which make a wave pattern, now move the source (the up and down thing creating the wave) away and towards a marked side of the dish and you will see the wavelength of the waves change as your move the source (the up and down thing creating the wave)
the faster the source and the speed your moving the source the easier it is the see the effect

what I've just described above is in this video

(ignore the first bit when she's in the bath it's NOT R rated)
all you basically have 2 do is replace the duck with something electrical and call it a devise lol...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Doppler Effect Investigatory Project

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a wave (such as sound or light) appears to change when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer.

2. How does the Doppler Effect work?

The Doppler Effect works by causing the waves emitted by a moving source to compress or stretch, depending on the direction of motion. This compression or stretching changes the wavelength and frequency of the wave, resulting in a perceived change in pitch or color.

3. What are some real-life applications of the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is used in radar and sonar technology to measure the speed and direction of moving objects, such as airplanes and ships. It is also used in medical ultrasound to create images of internal structures and in astronomy to measure the motion of distant celestial objects.

4. How can I demonstrate the Doppler Effect?

You can demonstrate the Doppler Effect by using a simple experiment with a sound source (such as a whistle) and an observer (such as a person). Have the sound source move towards or away from the observer, and listen for the change in pitch as the distance between them changes. You can also use a physics simulation software to demonstrate the Doppler Effect with visualizations.

5. What factors affect the Doppler Effect?

The factors that affect the Doppler Effect include the speed and direction of the source and observer, the speed of the wave, and the distance between the source and observer. The medium through which the wave is traveling can also affect the Doppler Effect, as different mediums can cause different amounts of compression or stretching. Additionally, the relative motion between the source and observer plays a role in the perceived change in frequency.