Doppler effect - two airplanes flying towards each other

In summary, two airplanes are flying towards each other with the speed of 2 MACH (we do not know the exact speed of each airplane, just "mutual" speed of their movent to each other). We need to find a correct channel spacing to be sure that the communication between these two aircraft will not be interrupted by doppler effect... These two aircraft are able to broadcast between 118 - 136 MHz band. If we find a correct channel spacing, how many channels can fit into 118 - 136 MHz band (however, if we can find a spacing, this second task will not be a problem)?
Ondyman
Homework Statement
Two airplanes are flying towards each other with the speed of 2 MACH (we do not know the exact speed of each airplane, just "mutual" speed of their movent to each other). We need to find a correct channel spacing to be sure that the communication between these two aircraft will not be interrupted by doppler effect... These two aircraft are able to broadcast between 118 - 136 MHz band. And second question is, if we find a correct channel spacing, how many channels can fit into 118 - 136 MHz band (however, if we can find a spacing, this second task will not be a problem)
Relevant Equations
DOPPLERS FORMULA
I found it confusing since there is only "mutual" speed of both aircrafts and hence I do not know how to correctly put it into the common Dopplers formula...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ondyman said:
Homework Statement:: Two airplanes are flying towards each other with the speed of 2 MACH (we do not know the exact speed of each airplane, just "mutual" speed of their movent to each other). We need to find a correct channel spacing to be sure that the communication between these two aircraft will not be interrupted by doppler effect... These two aircraft are able to broadcast between 118 - 136 MHz band. And second question is, if we find a correct channel spacing, how many channels can fit into 118 - 136 MHz band (however, if we can find a spacing, this second task will not be a problem)
Relevant Equations:: DOPPLERS FORMULA

I found it confusing since there is only "mutual" speed of both aircrafts and hence I do not know how to correctly put it into the common Dopplers formula...
What would be your answers if it were just one plane approaching the tower at Mach 2? (and why would those answers be any different if it is two planes approaching each other at a relative Mach 2?) :smile:

allright, thanks!
So if I use a common formula for doppler and set original frequency to 118 MHz, the frequency which tower (or other plane) got is 354 MHz

f=f0*((v+v0)/v)
where f = ?
f0 = 118 MHz
v´ = speed of sound = 343 ms
v0 = speed of airplane towards the tower = 2 MACH = 636 ms
I got the f´ = 354 MHz...

however, now I do not know how to deal with the channel spacing problem... If I transmit signal on frequency 118 MHz and tower receive it at 354 MHz it means, that I can use basically any frequency between 118 - 136 MHz and it will not be affected by interfence. - only IF we fly slower and the frequency of 118 MHz would be shifted by doppler effect to i.e. 119 MHz , it would mean that we cannot use 119 Mhz for transmitting... so we should use the 2 MHz channel spacing.

Nonetheless, It means in our case we can use any frequency between 118 and 136 MHz with standard channel spacing (which is 8,33 or 25 KHz) and our signal will not be affected by interference, right? :)

Ondyman said:
v´ = speed of sound = 343 ms
Radio communication does not use sound waves... :wink:

• Informative
Likes Ondyman
God... thank you.. quite tired this afternoon...

f=f0*((v+v0)/v)
where f = ?
f0 = 118 000 000 Hz
v´ = speed of light = 299 000 000 ms
v0 = speed of airplane towards the tower = 2 MACH = 636 ms
f = 118 000 270.7 Hz

it means that the singal will be shifted by 270.7 Hz.. so all we need is to set channel spacing to roughly 300 Hz, and it should work, ok?
That would mean that between 118 and 136 MHz we can put roughly 60 000 frequencies which will have channel spacing 300 Hz (i.e.: first 118 000 000 Hz, second 118 000 300 Hz, third 118 000 600 Hz, ...).

Ondyman said:
God... thank you.. quite tired this afternoon...
No worries. :smile:
Ondyman said:
it means that the singal will be shifted by 270.7 Hz.. so all we need is to set channel spacing to roughly 300 Hz, and it should work, ok?
The channel spacing is not just based on any potential Doppler shift of the center frequency of each channel. It is also based on the bandwidth of the communication. You can't have 20kHz wide channels spaced only 300Hz apart. The overlapping frequencies would ruin communication.

So start with the bandwidth of the information in each channel (is that given? something like 20kHz voice?), plus some guard bands for the bandpass filters to roll off enough to keep down the cross-channel interference.

You can see an example by looking at how the WiFi and ZigBee channels in the 2.4GHz band are spaced. Look at the channel width (which is based on the data speed needed for each channel), plus some guard band spacing between the channels.

Does the problem tell you what each channel's information bandwidth is plus the required guardbands?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327174774/figure/fig1/AS:664591931539457@1535462472996/Channel-distribution-of-different-technologies-in-24GHz-frequency-band.png

1594223191518.png

Theory says that in real life in band 118 - 136 MHz we would use 8,33 kHz spacing in civil aviation and 25 kHz spacing in military aviation. However, I think this problem is just made up to see if I can use Dopplers formula... However, if I focus only on Doppler part of this problem, the shift is calculated correctly...? Channel spacing in real life would be probably 8,33 kHz and it means to our band of 118 - 136 MHz we can squeeze roughly 2 220 cahnnels (first 118 MHz, second 118 008 330 Hz, third 118 016 660 Hz,...)

Ondyman said:
it means that the singal will be shifted by 270.7 Hz
Ondyman said:
if I focus only on Doppler part of this problem, the shift is calculated correctly...?
I get 251.0Hz instead of your 270.7Hz, so maybe double check the calculation?
Ondyman said:
Theory says that in real life in band 118 - 136 MHz we would use 8,33 kHz spacing in civil aviation and 25 kHz spacing in military aviation.
Since these planes are doing a combined Mach 2, it sounds like they are military jets, not civilian jets. So I personally would use the military channel spacing, plus the small delta for accommodating the Doppler shift.

Likes Ondyman
thank you! :)

Likes berkeman

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source.

2. How does the Doppler effect apply to two airplanes flying towards each other?

The Doppler effect applies to two airplanes flying towards each other because the sound waves emitted by each airplane will be compressed as they approach each other, causing an increase in frequency and a higher pitch. As they pass each other, the sound waves will be stretched, resulting in a decrease in frequency and a lower pitch.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the Doppler effect in this scenario?

The magnitude of the Doppler effect in this scenario is affected by the speed of the airplanes, the distance between them, and the speed of sound in the air.

4. How can the Doppler effect be observed in this situation?

The Doppler effect can be observed in this situation by listening to the sound of the airplanes as they pass each other. The change in pitch of the sound can also be measured using special instruments.

5. How is the Doppler effect used in real life?

The Doppler effect is used in various real-life applications, such as in weather radar to detect the speed and direction of moving objects, in medical ultrasound to measure blood flow, and in police radar guns to measure the speed of vehicles. It is also used in astronomy to determine the speed and direction of celestial objects.