Doppler Shift and Astronomy

In summary: That's because the Sun is moving in the same direction as Earth around the solar system barycenter. So the doppler shift will be a vector sum of the Sun's rotation velocity and it's orbital velocity around the solar system barycenter. But this is the wrong question to answer. The Sun's rotation velocity is not the same as Earth's. Nor is the Sun's orbital velocity the same as Earth's. So what would you answer if you were asked the same question about the Earth?In summary, the resultant doppler shift of light emitted from the solar equator at two different points (each side of the disc and the center of the solar disc) will depend on the speed and direction of
risingabove

Homework Statement

The Sun rotates with a period of 24.7 days and has a radius of 7.00 x 108 m. For a terrestrial observer, Calculate the resultant Doppler shift of light of wavelength 500 nm which is emitted from the solar equator at :

i)each side of the disc,
ii)the center of the solar disc

The speed of light, c = 3.00 x 108 m/s

Homework Equations

wavelength shift Δλ = v/c λ

v : speed of of the source
c: speed of light
λ : wavelength of source

speed = distance/ time

24.7 days = 2134080 s

500 nm = 5.0 x 10-7 m

Circumference of a circle = 2∏r = 4.4 x 109 m

The Attempt at a Solution

i) I first found the speed of the source, v

speed = 4.4 x 109 m / 2134080 s
= 2060.9 m/s

using the equation for wavelength shift, plug in values

Δλ = (2060.9 / 3.00 x 108 m/s ) 5.0 x 10-7 m

= 3.43 x 10-12 m
= 0.00343 nm

ii) i assumed that λ = 0

therefore Δλ = (328 / 3.00 x 108 m/s ) 0
= 0 m

.. not sure if my workings are correct ...thanks for any help

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
risingabove said:

ii) i assumed that λ = 0

therefore Δλ = (328 / 3.00 x 108 m/s ) 0
= 0 m

Why λ = 0 at the center?

Where did 328 come from? This is roughly the average speed of the cg's of the Earth from the Sun. But if you include that speed you have to include it in part (i) also. So the doppler shift from one side of the sun's disc will be different than that from the other and will depend on the time of year.

1. What is Doppler Shift?

Doppler Shift is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a wave appears to change when the source of the wave is in motion relative to the observer. This applies to all types of waves, including sound and light waves.

2. How does Doppler Shift affect astronomy?

Doppler Shift plays a crucial role in astronomy as it allows scientists to determine the motion and velocity of celestial objects. By analyzing the changes in the frequency of light emitted by a star or galaxy, astronomers can determine if the object is moving towards or away from Earth, as well as its speed and direction.

3. What is the difference between redshift and blueshift?

Redshift and blueshift are two types of Doppler Shift that occur in astronomy. Redshift refers to the elongation of the wavelength and decrease in frequency of light from an object that is moving away from the observer. On the other hand, blueshift refers to the shortening of the wavelength and increase in frequency of light from an object that is moving towards the observer.

4. Can Doppler Shift be used to detect exoplanets?

Yes, Doppler Shift can be used to detect exoplanets. When a planet orbits its star, it causes the star to wobble slightly due to the gravitational pull between the two objects. This wobbling motion can be detected through Doppler Shift, allowing scientists to infer the presence of a planet and even estimate its mass and orbital period.

5. What other applications does Doppler Shift have in astronomy?

Doppler Shift has many other applications in astronomy, including determining the expansion rate of the universe, measuring the rotation speeds of galaxies, and studying the composition and movements of interstellar gas clouds. It also allows scientists to study the properties of distant objects, such as quasars and pulsars, and gain insight into the formation and evolution of the universe.