Double Atwood Machine Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the acceleration of a double Atwood machine with masses m1=2.0kg, m2=3.0kg, and m3=8.0kg. The net force is found to be 3g, with a resulting acceleration of 2.26m/s^2. However, the professor requires the use of free-body diagrams and tensions in the solution. The conversation also highlights the need to consider correlations among the accelerations of the masses and clarifies that the machine in question is not a true double Atwood machine, but rather a normal Atwood machine.
dsfrankl

Homework Statement

If the masses for a double Atwood machine similar to the own shown in the attached picture are m1=2.0kg, m2=3.0kg, and m3=8.0kg: (a) what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the system and (b) how would you draw free-body diagrams for this problem?

NOTE: m3 does not tilt. Also, two strings will have two tensions.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the net force by using: F=8g-3g-2g=3g. Then I added the masses to get 13kg. a=F/m=3g/13kg=2.26m/s^2. The problem however, is that I know my professor won't take this. She'll want to see drawings of FBD first (which I managed to draw FBD for m1 and m2 but am not sure how to draw m3), and for me to use tensions as well. I'm not really sure how to do it that way.

Attachments

• atwood.png
    atwood.png
    12 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dsfrankl said:
I found the net force by using: F=8g-3g-2g=3g.
This is the net force on what?

dsfrankl said:
which I managed to draw FBD for m1 and m2
So what did the free body diagrams for m1 and m2 tell you?

dsfrankl said:
am not sure how to draw m3
What forces act on ##m_3##?

Furthermore, think about what correlations among the accelerations of the masses that you can write down.

Also note that this is not what would typically be called a double Atwood machine. This is a double Atwood machine:
image015.jpg

What you have is actually equivalent to a normal Atwood machine.

1. What is a Double Atwood Machine Problem?

A Double Atwood Machine Problem is a physics problem that involves two Atwood machines connected together. Atwood machines are systems consisting of two masses connected by a string that passes over a pulley. The goal of the problem is to calculate the acceleration and tension in the strings connecting the masses.

2. How do you solve a Double Atwood Machine Problem?

To solve a Double Atwood Machine Problem, you will need to use the laws of motion and the principles of work and energy. First, draw a free-body diagram for each mass in the system. Then, write equations for the forces acting on each mass and use them to calculate the acceleration and tension in the strings. Finally, use the equations for work and energy to check your answer.

3. What are the assumptions made in a Double Atwood Machine Problem?

The main assumptions made in a Double Atwood Machine Problem are that the pulleys are massless and frictionless, the strings are inelastic, and the masses are point masses. These assumptions allow for simpler calculations and make the problem more realistic.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Double Atwood Machine Problem?

The Double Atwood Machine Problem has many real-world applications, such as in elevators, where the counterweight acts as the second mass in the system, and in cranes, where the loads being lifted act as the masses. It is also used in engineering to analyze the forces and tensions in complex systems of pulleys and strings.

5. How can understanding the Double Atwood Machine Problem be useful?

Understanding the Double Atwood Machine Problem can be useful for developing problem-solving skills and applying physics principles to real-world situations. It can also help in understanding more complex systems and machines that use pulleys and strings, such as elevators, cranes, and even roller coasters.