Double Integral Doubts: Understanding Regions and Order

In summary, the conversation discusses a double integral with a given region and questions about its appearance. The speaker clarifies that the integral will be equal to the area on the left minus the area on the right, and that the volume of the region may be negative or positive depending on the function. The conversation also includes a question about the equality of two integrals.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there, I've got this doubt about a double integral. I have this region: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{2}\displaystyle\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}^{1-x^2}f(x,y)dydx[/tex]

And the thing is, how this region would look like? Would it look like this?:
attachment.php?attachmentid=29758&stc=1&d=1289403019.png

The thing is that after the cut between the two curves the order changes, so I think that region would have an opposite sign than the region before.

What you say?

Bye, thanks for posting!

Attachments

• para.PNG
    para.PNG
    2 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct. The integral will be equal to the area of the region on the left minus the area of the region on the right.

Thanks HallsofIvy. It turns confusing since that area will generate a volume under the graph f(x,y). I don't know if it really have any sense that region planted that way.

Mmm now I think that the volume for the last part would be negative (or positive depending on f) and then it would have some sense.

By the way, is this equality right? [tex]\displaystyle\int_{-3}^{1}\displaystyle\int_{arctg(x)}^{e^x}f(x,y)dydx=\displaystyle\int_{arctg(x)}^{e^x}\displaystyle\int_{-3}^{1}f(x,y)dxdy[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Double Integral Doubts: Understanding Regions and Order

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume under a curved surface on a two-dimensional plane. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region.

2. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of a three-dimensional object, as well as in calculating the probability of an event in a two-dimensional space.

3. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve on a one-dimensional plane, whereas a double integral calculates the volume under a surface on a two-dimensional plane.

4. What are the types of double integrals?

The two types of double integrals are iterated integrals and double integrals in polar coordinates. Iterated integrals involve integrating one variable at a time, while double integrals in polar coordinates use polar coordinates to evaluate the integral instead of rectangular coordinates.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving double integrals?

Some common mistakes include not correctly setting up the limits of integration, forgetting to multiply by the appropriate differential form, and not converting the integral to the correct coordinate system. It is also important to check for symmetry and to carefully evaluate the integrand to avoid errors.