Double slit experiment with a slit covered.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a thin flake of mica with a refractive index of 1.58 to cover one slit of a double-slit arrangement. The central point on the screen is occupied by the 7th bright fringe and the question is asked to determine the thickness of the mica given a wavelength of 550nm. The solution involves considering the path difference and using Snell's law to calculate the thickness of the mica. However, it is suggested to neglect refraction through the mica and just consider an incident angle of zero. The calculation involves finding the difference in wavelengths between the mica and air, and using this to determine the necessary thickness of the mica.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

A thin flake of mica (n=1.58) is used to cover one slit of a double-slit arrangement.The central point on the screen is occupied by the 7th brigth fringe.If lamda = 550nm, what is the thickness of the mica?

Homework Equations

path difference d=(n-1)*thickness
d=7*lamda
snell's law?

The Attempt at a Solution

first, the paths above the glass must be the same.So they are not in consideration.
let l be the thickness of the glass,t be the length traveled by light in mica,x in air
The mica:
sinθ=nsin
sin∅=sinθ/n...(1)
sin∅=l/t..(2)

(1)/(2),
sinθ=nl/t...(3)

In the air:
sinθ=l/x...(4)
compare 4 and 3,
i came out, t=xn.

Then i started to consider the difference of wavelength,
because the wavelength in mica is shorter than in air.
I tried to subtract the sum of the pulses in air and mica and set it equals to 7 lamda,
but what came out is peculiar,
let m , n be the number of pulses in mica and air respectively,f=frequency
m=tf/v...(5)
n=xf/c..(6)
so...
m/n=nt/x
i suppose it being m/n = t/nx ...so that they can be canceled out...
Please help for this:((

Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:

Homework Statement

A thin flake of mica (n=1.58) is used to cover one slit of a double-slit arrangement.The central point on the screen is occupied by the 7th brigth fringe.If lamda = 550nm, what is the thickness of the mica?

Homework Equations

path difference d=(n-1)*thickness
d=7*lamda
snell's law?

The Attempt at a Solution

first, the paths above the glass must be the same.So they are not in consideration.
let l be the thickness of the glass,t be the length traveled by light in mica,x in air
The mica:
sinθ=nsin
sin∅=sinθ/n...(1)
sin∅=l/t..(2)

(1)/(2),
sinθ=nl/t...(3)

In the air:
sinθ=l/x...(4)
compare 4 and 3,
i came out, t=xn.

Then i started to consider the difference of wavelength,
because the wavelength in mica is shorter than in air.
I tried to subtract the sum of the pulses in air and mica and set it equals to 7 lamda,
but what came out is peculiar,
let m , n be the number of pulses in mica and air respectively,f=frequency
m=tf/v...(5)
n=xf/c..(6)
so...
m/n=nt/x
i suppose it being m/n = t/nx ...so that they can be canceled out...
Please help for this:((
I have the feeling that they do not expect you to take into consideration refraction through the mica (how could you, you do not have an angle of incidence). I think you can safely neglect that and just consider an incident angle of zero in which case what you wrote in part 2 is all you need.

I don't quite like the way that this question is worded.
I think that it means that what was the 7th bright fringe becomes shifted into the central bright maximum.
Overall, I don't think that the appearance of the screen pattern would change.
Then the problem becomes to calculate the thickness of the mica in order for the
mica to contain 7 more wavelengths than would be contained in an equivalent thickness of air.
This should not be too difficult since you know that the wavelength in the mica = 5.5 * 10E-7 / 1.58.
as compared to 5.5 * 10E-7 in air.

thank you all :)) i have solved the problem :D

1. How does covering one slit in the double slit experiment affect the interference pattern?

Covering one slit in the double slit experiment results in a decrease in the intensity of the interference pattern. This is because the single slit allows less light to pass through, resulting in a narrower central peak and less defined interference fringes.

2. Why does covering one slit in the double slit experiment result in a decrease in intensity?

The decrease in intensity is due to the principle of superposition, where the waves from the two slits interfere with each other. When one slit is covered, the waves from that slit are no longer contributing to the interference pattern, resulting in a decrease in overall intensity.

3. Does covering one slit affect the wavelength of light used in the double slit experiment?

No, covering one slit does not affect the wavelength of light used in the double slit experiment. The wavelength of light remains constant, but the interference pattern changes due to the decrease in intensity.

4. Can the double slit experiment still demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light when one slit is covered?

Yes, the double slit experiment can still demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light even when one slit is covered. The interference pattern is still observed, showing the wave-like nature of light, but the decrease in intensity also reflects the particle-like behavior of light.

5. How does the position of the interference fringes change when one slit is covered in the double slit experiment?

The position of the interference fringes will shift towards the open slit when one slit is covered in the double slit experiment. This is because the waves from the open slit have a greater influence on the overall interference pattern when the other slit is covered.