Double Slit Experiment without the small angle approximation

In summary, using the small angle approximation, the distance between the bright and dark fringes is the same.
Punkyc7
Two very narrow slits are spaced 1.8 [itex]\mu[/itex]m apart and are placed 35.0 cm from the screen. What is the distance from the first and second dark lines of the interference pattern when the slits are illuminated with coherent light with [itex]\lambda[/itex] =550 nm

r1-r2=m[itex]\lambda[/itex]
dsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=m[itex]\lambda[/itex]
Rtan[itex]\theta[/itex]=y

Since I am only concerned with the distance i was thinking about just finding the distance between the bright fringes. The problem is I don't know how to get theta.

Ive tried m[itex]\lambda[/itex]=dsin[itex]\theta[/itex] and solved for theta but that didnt work. I am not sure you can find r1 and r2 because the distance between the fringes is missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Punkyc7 said:
Two very narrow slits are spaced 1.8 [itex]\mu[/itex]m apart and are placed 35.0 cm from the screen. What is the distance from the first and second dark lines of the interference pattern when the slits are illuminated with coherent light with [itex]\lambda[/itex] =550 nm

r1-r2=m[itex]\lambda[/itex]
dsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=m[itex]\lambda[/itex]
Rtan[itex]\theta[/itex]=y

Since I am only concerned with the distance i was thinking about just finding the distance between the bright fringes. The problem is I don't know how to get theta.

Ive tried m[itex]\lambda[/itex]=dsin[itex]\theta[/itex] and solved for theta but that didnt work. I am not sure you can find r1 and r2 because the distance between the fringes is missing.

You can use [itex]\theta = \arctan \frac{y}{R}[/itex].

The problem is we don't know y that is what I am trying to find, but I am going to need[itex]\theta[/itex] first

Don't the "Dark Lines" correspond to destructive interference?

SammyS is right, the problem asks about dark fringes. For them, the angle of deviation from the central line is related with d and λ as

d sin([itex]\vartheta[/itex])=(2m+1)λ, with m=0, ±1, ±2 ...

y is the distance of a dark spot from the centre of the interference pattern on the screen. If the screen is at D distance from the two slits, tan([itex]\vartheta[/itex])=y/D.
You need the distance between the first and second dark lines. For the first one, m=0, and m=1 for the second one.

Calculate [itex]\vartheta[/itex]-s with m=0 and m=1, calculate the corresponding y values and find their difference.

ehild

isnt the distance between the dark fringes the same as the distance between the bright fringes?

so i would do

dsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=[itex]\lambda[/itex]
and dsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=3[itex]\lambda[/itex]

solve for [itex]\theta[/itex] in terms of y and then solve for y

The title says "... without the small angle approximation"

λ/d ≈ 3.5

I wouldn't assume the lines in the diffraction pattern are equally spaced.

Punkyc7 said:
isnt the distance between the dark fringes the same as the distance between the bright fringes?

so i would do

dsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=[itex]\lambda[/itex]
and dsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=3[itex]\lambda[/itex]

solve for [itex]\theta[/itex] in terms of y and then solve for y

The values sin[itex]\theta[/itex] are equally spaced, but the position of the fringes are proportional to tan[itex]\theta[/itex].
I am sorry, there is a mistake in my last post, I meant

dsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=(2m+1)[itex]\lambda[/itex]/2

So calculate the distances from
dsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=[itex]\lambda[/itex]/2
and dsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=3[itex]\lambda[/itex]/2.

ehild

Just to clear something up, If we were using the approximation then the bright and dark fringes would be the same length.

Thank you so much for your help

Yes, the approximate method yields equal distances but the approximation can be applied for small angles (less than 10°).

ehild

Related to Double Slit Experiment without the small angle approximation

1. What is the double slit experiment without the small angle approximation?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles. In this variation of the experiment, the slits are not assumed to be small compared to the distance between them, allowing for more accurate results.

2. How does the double slit experiment without the small angle approximation differ from the traditional experiment?

In the traditional experiment, the slits are assumed to be small enough that the wavefronts passing through them can be approximated as straight lines. In the non-small angle version, the wavefronts are curved, resulting in a more complex interference pattern.

3. What is the significance of performing the double slit experiment without the small angle approximation?

By eliminating the small angle approximation, the experiment allows for a more accurate representation of the wave-like behavior of particles. This can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

4. How is the interference pattern affected by removing the small angle approximation?

Without the small angle approximation, the interference pattern becomes more complex and exhibits a higher degree of diffraction. This is due to the curved wavefronts and results in a more detailed and precise interference pattern.

5. What are the limitations of the double slit experiment without the small angle approximation?

Performing the double slit experiment without the small angle approximation requires more precise measurements and equipment, making it more challenging to conduct. Additionally, the results may be more difficult to interpret and may require advanced mathematical analysis.