Double slit fringe visibility with sunlight

In summary, the fringe visibility on a screen is reduced as you move away from the center of the screen.
Heidi
Hi Pfs,

I know that Young made his double slits experiment with sunlight and i would like to know the best value of the fringe visibility on the screen.
The visibility is equal to (Imax - Imin)/(Imax + Imin)
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you think of it?

I assume, as sunlight is made of different color lights, blue light makes blue fringe and red light makes red fringe in position slightly outer of blue or so.

Ref.

So the fringe visibility is reduced. I would like to find a numerical value for that. Is it the only thing that reduces the fringe visibility?
Young saw them. the visibility has not to be very little.

Heidi said:
i would like to know the best value of the fringe visibility on the screen.
I'm not sure that your formula will help you without more information.
As @anuttarasammyak says, you need to consider the effect of the longer wavelength fringes on the shorter wavelength fringes. It would be best to integrate the level of light at a particular angle over all visible wavelengths.
The level the thread is 'I' so that means you should be able to use the formula in this link to get the family of fringes for each wavelength and find the net max and min values. (Summing for a few spot values would do or you could stick with the formula and integrate over wavelength range).

As you depart from the boresight, the spread due to wavelength range will reduce the visibility until the blue fringes fill in the red fringes and the visibility will (could) be zero.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link. I have another question about the historical experiment by Young. I suppose that he did not use filters to have a monochromatic light. a value for his fringe visibility?

Heidi said:
I suppose that he did not use filters to have a monochromatic light. a value for his fringe visibility?
I don't know the precise history of research around that time but Newton used a prism to select wavelength bands. Young could have done it that way to provide a fair monochromatic source if he needed to.
Also, the first one or two fringes are not too bad with sunlight, bearing in mind the fact that perception of the blue end of the spectrum is relatively low, so the effective range of wavelengths would be less than the full visible band.

If you want a theoretical value then do the sums in my last link for different wavelengths to find how wavelength affects your simple formula.

About historical Physics experiments: the guys in the past used to spend a long time on their experiments (servants took care of other aspects of their lives. Young would have ben able to perform a 'filtering operation' by looking just at narrow bands of colour. If you're after a really good answer to your question then you'd need to read Young's actual journals. I'm sure Google would tell you where to find them.

Heidi said:
Hi Pfs,

I know that Young made his double slits experiment with sunlight and i would like to know the best value of the fringe visibility on the screen.
The visibility is equal to (Imax - Imin)/(Imax + Imin)
thanks
After spectrally filtering sunlight (say, using green light only), the fringe visibility will vary with slit spacing. The details (van Cittert-Zernike theorem) can be found in, for example, Wolf's "Introduction to the theory of coherence and polarization of light", one basic result is that the fringe visibility will vary (approximately)as a |jinc| (|J_1(x)/x|) function. For sunlight the first zero of fringe visibility corresponds to a slit spacing of about 0.06mm (for green light).

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles. It involves shining a beam of particles, such as light or electrons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

How does sunlight affect the double slit experiment?

Sunlight can be used in the double slit experiment to create a visible interference pattern. This is because sunlight is composed of multiple wavelengths, which creates a complex interference pattern on the screen. However, the pattern may not be as clear as when using a single wavelength, such as a laser.

What is fringe visibility?

Fringe visibility is a measure of the contrast or sharpness of the interference pattern in the double slit experiment. It is calculated by dividing the difference between the maximum and minimum intensity of the pattern by the sum of the maximum and minimum intensity. A higher fringe visibility indicates a more defined interference pattern.

Why is fringe visibility affected by sunlight?

The fringe visibility in the double slit experiment is affected by the coherence of the light source. Sunlight is not a coherent light source, meaning the light waves are not in phase with each other. This results in a less defined interference pattern, leading to a lower fringe visibility compared to using a coherent light source.

Can the double slit experiment be used to study the properties of sunlight?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be used to study the properties of sunlight, such as its wavelength and coherence. By analyzing the interference pattern created by sunlight, scientists can gather information about the characteristics of sunlight and how it behaves as a wave.