Double slit intensity question

In summary: This would then be eqn (1) = 2*atan(360*Φ/λ). So, the answer to your question is that the calculator should be in degree mode when taking the inverse cosine.
zehkari

Homework Statement

XjDuq0x.jpg

Homework Equations

(1) Φ = 2π*(dsinθ/λ)
(2) Itotal = I0 cos2(Φ/2)
(3) Itotal = I0 cos2(πdy/λR)

λ = 585 * 10-9 m
R = 0.700 m
d = 0.320 * 10-3 m
y = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I used eqn (1) and divided the total oscillations by a complete oscillation to find the remainder. Which gave 4.59 rad. Which I think is right.

b) However, I am stuck on this question. I don't understand how to find y from not knowing intensity values. Can I work out the total itensity from eqn (2), now that I have the phase angle? Then find y from eqn (3)?

Any help or direction pointing would be appreciated. Somethings not clicking with this sub category of young's double slit.

Attachments

• XjDuq0x.jpg
    XjDuq0x.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
zehkari said:
not knowing intensity values
You have as a given ##I/I_0 = 1/2##, isn't that sufficient ?

Likes zehkari
Ah, thank you yeah.

So,

Using eqn (3),

y = λ*R*cos-1(sqrt (I/I0)) / π*d

Which with I/I0 = 1/2 , I get 18 mm for y.

If that looks alright, thanks again for your help BvU.

When taking the inverse cosine, should your calculator be in degree or radian mode?

Likes zehkari and BvU
TSny said:
When taking the inverse cosine, should your calculator be in degree or radian mode?

Hey,

There are different values for degrees and radian. Radian gives 3.2 * 10-4. Which is more realistic for distance between slits.
I never thought about radian or degree for inverse. I assumed either was ok. Could you explain why you have to use radian here for inverse cosine?

Many thanks.

zehkari said:
Could you explain why you have to use radian here for inverse cosine?
Consider equation (1) in your first post. For the case where the path difference dsinθ equals one wavelength λ, the phase difference Φ should be a full cycle. That is, Φ would be 360 degrees or 2π radians. What does equation (1) give in this case? Note that (1) is used to get (3).

Likes zehkari
From question a) and using eqn (1) I obtained an answer in degrees and then converted to radian. I am assuming then that Φ has to be in radian? Then as eqn (3) is derived from eqn (1), the calculator should be in radian?

Thanks again.

zehkari said:
From question a) and using eqn (1) I obtained an answer in degrees and then converted to radian.
Equation (1), as written, gives the angle Φ in radians. If you want equation (1) to give Φ in degrees, you would have to rewrite it with the factor of 2π replaced by 360.

Related to Double slit intensity question

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment conducted in physics to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two closely spaced slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. Why is the intensity of light greater at certain points on the interference pattern?

The intensity of light at certain points on the interference pattern is greater because of constructive interference. This occurs when the crests of two waves align and add together, resulting in a higher amplitude and therefore, a greater intensity of light.

3. What factors affect the intensity of the double slit interference pattern?

The intensity of the double slit interference pattern is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of light, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. These factors determine the spacing and shape of the interference pattern on the screen.

4. How does the intensity of the interference pattern change as the distance from the slits increases?

As the distance from the slits to the screen increases, the intensity of the interference pattern decreases. This is because the waves spread out and become more spread out, resulting in a wider interference pattern with a lower intensity.

5. Can the double slit experiment be conducted with other types of waves, such as sound waves?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be conducted with other types of waves, including sound waves. In fact, Thomas Young first conducted the experiment with sound waves in 1803. The same principles of wave interference apply to all types of waves.