Doubling the Thermal Energy of a Frozen Chocolate Bar

In summary, the question is asking if the amount of money (y) is the same as the amount of money (x) if x=$100 and y=$100.
lxhull
Homework Statement
Good chocolate is designed to melt at 34 °C. A chocolate bar, initially frozen to a temperature of -115°C, has its thermal energy doubled. Will it melt? Use physics to explain your answer.
Relevant Equations
Eth= mc(change in T)

Eth= thermal energy
M=mass
C= specific heat capacity
T= temperature in celcius
The farthest I got was double thermal energy equals mass times specific heat capacity times change in temperature (115+34)
2Eth=(mc149)
To
Eth=mc74.5
I'm not sure where to go from here. It seems like I don't have enough information.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lxhull said:
2Eth=(mc149)
Please define these variables. We should not have to guess their meanings, and we could guess wrongly.
Then explain in words the reasoning behind the equation l

Likes vela
haruspex said:
Please define these variables. We should not have to guess their meanings, and we could guess wrongly.
Then explain in words the reasoning behind the equation l
I have done so. Sorry for the confusion, I haven't done this before and forgot.

lxhull said:
I have done so. Sorry for the confusion, I haven't done this before and forgot.
Which thermal energy? What it started with or what it had when it reached melting point? Or the difference between them?

lxhull said:
The farthest I got was double thermal energy equals mass times specific heat capacity times change in temperature (115+34)
No. Increasing the temperature by (115+34)ºC could less- than-double or more-than-double the thermal energy. You have no way of telling.

Presumably you have stated the question completely and accurately.

When you get a poor/unclear question (which this is), one approach is to make/state some assumption(s) which then allows you to answer.

For example, you could start your answer by saying:
“Assume that the thermal energy of the solid chocolate is proportional to its absolute temperature.”

I’m guessing that’s what whoever wrote the question had in mind. In which case they were wrong – the question is based on incorrect physics!

The above assumption is correct for a fixed amount of ideal gas but not for a solid.

The assumption is equivalent to saying that the ‘c’ in ‘mcΔT’ is a constant - independent of temperature. It isn’t over large temperature ranges.

But with this incorrect assumption, the thermal energy at -115ºC is the amount of energy needed to raise the chocolate from absolute zero (no thermal energy) to -115ºC.

If you are familiar with ‘absolute zero’ and the absolute (kelvin) temperature scale, you should be able to complete the problem using the assumption.

Likes nasu
lxhull said:
2Eth=(mc149)
If you have x=$100 and you are given another $100, is the amount you have now, y, given by 2y=$100?

1. How does doubling the thermal energy affect a frozen chocolate bar?

Doubling the thermal energy of a frozen chocolate bar will cause it to melt at a faster rate. This is because heat energy is transferred from the environment to the chocolate bar, causing its temperature to increase and eventually reach its melting point.

2. Why does doubling the thermal energy cause a frozen chocolate bar to melt?

Thermal energy is a form of kinetic energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a temperature difference. When the thermal energy of a frozen chocolate bar is doubled, it increases the rate of molecular motion within the bar, causing it to melt.

3. Can doubling the thermal energy of a frozen chocolate bar cause it to melt completely?

Yes, doubling the thermal energy of a frozen chocolate bar can cause it to melt completely. This is because as the thermal energy increases, the temperature of the chocolate bar also increases until it reaches its melting point, causing it to melt completely.

4. Is doubling the thermal energy of a frozen chocolate bar reversible?

No, doubling the thermal energy of a frozen chocolate bar is not reversible. Once the thermal energy is transferred to the chocolate bar and it melts, the process cannot be reversed. The melted chocolate bar will remain in its liquid form unless it is cooled down again.

5. How does the type of container affect the melting rate of a frozen chocolate bar when doubling the thermal energy?

The type of container can affect the melting rate of a frozen chocolate bar when doubling the thermal energy. A container made of a material with a higher thermal conductivity, such as metal, will transfer more heat energy to the chocolate bar, causing it to melt faster compared to a container made of a material with lower thermal conductivity, such as plastic.