Doubt about partition functions in QFT and in stat Mechanics

In summary: Second: So, we have the partition function after Wick rotation, but now we need to convert it to the form we use in thermal QFT. We do this by taking the trace. That is, we take the sum of all the derivatives of the partition function with respect to every spatial variable. *Third: Now that we have the trace, we need to convert it back to the form we use in thermal QFT. We do this by taking the sum of all the derivatives of the trace with respect to every spatial variable. *Fourth: Finally, we need to add these two sums together. That is, we take the sum of the derivatives of the trace with respect to every spatial variable and
Iliody
Hi, I was studying for my final exam on statistical physics and a doubt raised on my head that was truly strong and disturbing (at least, for me), and that I couldn't answer to myself by now.

The doubt is: Given that we have in d dimensions a fermion non interacting gas, the statistical mechanics partition function will be

Z=∏p∈R^{d+1}, spin∈Z2 (1+e^{-β√(p2+m2)}))
"=det(1+e^{-β√(p2+m2)}))",
and in (d-1)+1 dimensions for a Dirac action will have as wick-rotated partition function

Z(β)=det(β(iγ⋅∂+m))

Are both related in some way?

I mean, they are systems with the same Hamiltonians, and given that there is a lot of analogies between the formalisms of QFT and statistical physics I though that both needed to be a little more similar...

Is there a relation between the two that I am not seeing? What's wrong with my intuition? I will be very grateful for any answer (if it isn't on the line of "Quantum Field Theory is a myth, the real thing is Aliens").

Sorry if this question was against the rules (I don't know for now if it could be).

(After posting this question here, I posted in phys*** st**kexc***ge, but I deleted from that place... Is that wrong? Sorry)

Physics news on Phys.org
Because I can't edit the post (I know that there are good reasons for that), I will retype the mathematical expressions using LaTex, for making them more understandable:
1-Fermi-Dirac in Statistical mechanics:
[tex] Z_{F-D}=\prod_{p\in \mathbb{R}^{d+1}} \prod_{s\in\{-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\}} (1+e^{-\beta\sqrt{p^2+m^2}}) [/tex]
[tex] Z_{F-D}=det(1+e^{-\beta\sqrt{p^2+m^2}}) [/tex]
2-Dirac in QFT
[tex] Z_{Dirac-QFT}=det(\beta(m+i \displaystyle{\not} \partial)) [/tex]

Explaining a little more:
-The trouble I hace is un the difference between [tex] \sum_n \rangle n | e^{-\beta \hat{H}} | n \langle [\tex] and [tex] \int \prod_{i\in fieldcomponents} e^{-\beta H} [\tex]

If a field is grassman-like, in the first case we sum between "mide is turn on"+" mode is turn off", but in the other case we only take into account the case un which it's turn con only?
Something similar appears to happen in the bosonic case (difference of partition function "per mode")

Homer simpson doh:
I remembered today, talking with a friend, that this thing was there in the advanced qft course that we had taken. It's useful that I post here the answer in a few days, if someone has the same question? Or it's better for this post to be deleted and be burned in the oblivion ice's?

Cheers to the community.

In my opinion, posting the solution would be more useful.

OK, well... this is a pretty standard thermal QFT calculation:

*First: When we do the Wick rotation and make the time periodic (With time period = [itex] \hbar \beta [/itex]), we have as log of partition function [itex]
log Z_{Dirac-QFT}=Tr[ln(\prod_{n+1\in 2\mathbb{Z}} \beta(m+i \gamma \cdot \nabla + \gamma_0 \frac{2\pi n}{\beta}))]=\frac{1}{2}Tr[ln(\prod_{n+1\in 2\mathbb{Z}} (\beta^2(m^2+p^2)+4\pi^2 n^2))]=Tr[ln(\prod_{n-1\in 2\mathbb{N}} (\frac{\beta^2(m^2+p^2)}{4\pi^2 n^2}+1))]+const=Tr[ln(cosh(\frac{\beta\sqrt{m^2+p^2}}{2}))]+const=Tr[ln(1+exp(-\beta\sqrt{m^2+p^2}))]+Tr[ln(exp(\frac{\beta\sqrt{m^2+p^2}}{2}))]+const
[/itex]. The former is equal to the fermi-dirac partition function plus an energy shift and with a different normalization.

1. What is a partition function in quantum field theory (QFT) and statistical mechanics?

A partition function is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of particles or systems in a given state. In QFT, it is used to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular energy state. In statistical mechanics, it is used to determine the thermodynamic properties of a system.

2. How is the partition function calculated in QFT and statistical mechanics?

The partition function is calculated using the formula Z = Σe^(-βH), where H is the Hamiltonian operator, β is the inverse temperature, and Σ represents the sum over all possible states of the system. This formula can be derived from the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

3. What is the significance of partition functions in QFT and statistical mechanics?

Partition functions play a crucial role in both QFT and statistical mechanics as they provide a way to calculate important thermodynamic properties of a system, such as the free energy, entropy, and average energy. They also allow for the analysis of complex systems with many particles, making them essential tools in these fields of study.

4. Can partition functions be used to study phase transitions?

Yes, partition functions can be used to study phase transitions, which are abrupt changes in the physical properties of a system. In fact, the behavior of the partition function near a phase transition can provide insights into the nature of the transition and the critical behavior of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using partition functions in QFT and statistical mechanics?

One limitation of using partition functions is that they are often difficult to calculate for complex systems with many interacting particles. In addition, they may not accurately describe systems that are far from equilibrium or have strong correlations between particles. However, despite these limitations, partition functions remain a powerful tool in studying the behavior of physical systems.