Doubt on an exercise involving Torque

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intensity of F that maintains an L-shaped bar in equilibrium. The book solves the problem by considering the weight of the vertical part as not exerting torque, and finding the CM of the bar at the middle of the horizontal part. However, the person initially calculated the CM of the bar at (1.5, 0.5) and used this to find the component of the weight perpendicular to the vector from A to CM. This resulted in the incorrect solution of 180N for F, when it should have been 90N. The person is seeking alternative methods to solve the problem.
frkCarl

Homework Statement

In the following figure we have an homogeneous L-shaped bar that has weight 120N. It's articulated without friction at point A. It's vertical part has length 1m and its horizontal part has length 3m. Find the intensity of F that maintains the bar in equilibrium.

2 . Relevant equations

ΣTorque = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The book solves the problem considering that the weight of the vertical part (30N) doesn't exert Torque, so the CM that exerts torque gets dislocated to the middle of the horizontal part of the bar. From there it's trivial.

The thing is that I didn't think of doing this way initially. I first calculated the CM of the Bar, which is at (1.5, 0.5) considering the origin at the "bottom of the L". Then I defined a vector from A to CM and found it's length is 2.5. From there I had to find the component of the weight which is perpendicular to the vector. ( This is drawn below).

From all of this we get F (1) = P cos(β)(2.5) ⇒ F = 120 (3/5)(5/2) ⇔ F = 180N . This, however, is wrong.
I thought doing it this way would do the trick, but if, instead of 120, I had put 90N the above equation would give me the correct solution. Is there any way, other than the one the book did, that could solve this problem?

I appreciate, in advance, any assistance.

Attachments

• Torque problem.jpeg
    Torque problem.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 347
  • Torque problem2.jpeg
    Torque problem2.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
frkCarl said:
I first calculated the CM of the Bar, which is at (1.5, 0.5)
Please show your work. The CM of a complete rectangle would be at 1.5,0.5. The CM of the top and left of such a rectangle should be somewhere above and to the left of that.

Related to Doubt on an exercise involving Torque

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point (or fulcrum) to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque different from force?

Force is a push or pull applied to an object, while torque is a twisting force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed point.

3. What are the units of torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N*m) in the metric system or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. How does the direction of the applied force affect torque?

The direction of the applied force relative to the pivot point determines the direction of the resulting torque. If the force is applied perpendicular to the lever arm, it will create the maximum torque. If the force is applied at an angle, the torque will be reduced.

5. How is torque used in everyday life?

Torque is a fundamental concept in mechanics and is used in many practical applications, such as in machinery, vehicles, and sports equipment. For example, torque is used in car engines to generate rotational motion, and in sports like baseball, where pitchers use torque to throw a curveball.