Doubts about my own career (physics student)

In summary, the speaker is a relatively new physics student who has been studying for about a year. They have a strong interest in physics and are good at math, but are more skilled at conceptual problems than those involving mathematical tools. They have been doing well in their courses, but feel like they haven't found what they are looking for. They also have an interest in philosophy, but are unsure if it is the right career path for them. They are seeking advice and are concerned about changing their major as it may delay their graduation. They are reminded that there are many options available within the field of physics and that changing majors may not have a major impact on their graduation date.
Username007
Hi everyone, I have posted one or two questions in classical physics, but I'm basically new here.

I'm relatively new physics student. I've been studying physics in university about a year by no, although the interest in physics comes from far behind.

I'm relatively good at maths, although I'm more of a 'conceptual' understanding, meaning that I'm better at problems concerning some sort of logic (like proving an statement) than those in which one has to use 'mathematical tools' for finding unknowns. Ability tests actually show that I'm better at 'comprehensive reading' than I'm at maths.

I've been doing good at my basic math and physics courses, but have the feeling I haven't found what I was actually looking for.

I do enjoy learning new things about maths and science. I remeber that in me first course in calculus I was so fascinated that I actually studied topics I would have to be learning now (after a year). It's just that, when I see the whole picture I really don't know if I will find some meaning to that at the end.

I've been reading a lot of philosophy also, and was also fascinated by it (in my country it isn't taught at regular schools). I found many things that looked like what I was actually looking for. But the career itself isn't.

I just ended up doubting my career in physics and I'm very confused now. I'm studying with. The money of my parents and they probably won't allow me to change my career out of nothing.

I was wondering if any of you had similar experiences. I would be very thankful if anyone can give me some advice (any advice would be good now). I know this is pretty common in young people, but I do feel I was looking for the same thing all along, I just didn't knew where to look for.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that taking physics courses leaves you with a lot of options: all math, physics, chemistry, engineering, and geology majors take the introductory physics series. You can certainly choose one of these majors and change without having a huge impact on graduation date, as they all have a similar if not identical lower division requirements. Also, biology majors would accept the higher physics courses as well.

Last edited:

Related to Doubts about my own career (physics student)

1. What if I am not good enough to succeed in physics?

It is common for students to have doubts about their abilities and potential in their chosen field. It is important to remember that success in physics (or any other field) is not solely determined by natural talent, but also by hard work, determination, and perseverance. If you are passionate about physics and willing to put in the effort, you have a good chance of succeeding.

2. Will I be able to find a job after graduating with a physics degree?

The job market for physics graduates is diverse and constantly evolving. While some physics majors may go on to pursue traditional careers in research or academia, others may find opportunities in fields such as engineering, finance, data science, and more. It is important to explore different career paths and gain practical experience through internships or research projects to increase your chances of finding a job after graduation.

3. What if I change my mind and decide physics is not the right career for me?

It is perfectly normal to have doubts and change your mind about your career path, especially as a student. It is important to keep an open mind and explore different options. Your physics degree can provide you with valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and quantitative analysis, which are applicable to a wide range of careers. You can also consider talking to a career counselor or mentor for guidance and support.

4. Will I be able to balance my personal life with a demanding career in physics?

Balancing personal and professional life can be challenging for anyone, regardless of their career. While physics can be a demanding field, it is important to prioritize self-care and find a healthy work-life balance. This may include setting boundaries, delegating tasks, and taking breaks to recharge. It is also important to have a supportive network of friends and family who understand the demands of your career.

5. What if I don't have enough experience or research opportunities in physics?

As a student, it can be difficult to gain experience and research opportunities in a competitive field like physics. However, there are many ways to gain experience and build your resume, such as participating in summer research programs, joining student organizations, or seeking out internships or volunteer opportunities. Don't be afraid to reach out to professors or professionals in the field for advice and opportunities. Remember, it's never too late to start gaining experience and developing your skills.