Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community

• Thread starter 42Physics
  • Start date
In summary, Doctor Who fans love the show for its good special effects, happy attitude, and the ability to run forever. However, they are mystified by the show's popularity.
HallsofIvy said:
So, still no female doctor! I'm still waiting!

Still maybe a female Master, though...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen both episodes 1 and 2 of the currently airing season 8 - it's going to take some time for me to become acclimated to the new doctor's style, it is much more subtle than previous recent doctors have been. very much doubt we'll be seeing much in the way of a "geronimo!" or even an "allon-Z!" from this doctor. That being said, the actor himself seems to be padding around in a circle on his favorite cushion, like a cat or small dog will before settling down for a nap. The new teacher at Clara's school looks to be a good prospect for the Companion B spot, & he's quite dashing, isn't he? I look forward to future episodes.

Allons-y, actually. French for "Let's Go!".

3a14b3572125c73df10d810aca235607.jpg

Twelfth may find a more inconspicuous catch word like the ninth, though.

I want a new companion like Ace or Capt. Harkness; Clara bores me and doesn't fit with Capaldi... She may have been bearable with the teenager on sugar high 11th but with 12th she just doesn't work.

Enigman said:
Clara bores me and doesn't fit with Capaldi... She may have been bearable with the teenager on sugar high 11th but with 12th she just doesn't work.
I agree -- but I was bored with her even with Matt Smith. Strangely, a young Billie Piper with older Christopher Eccleston seemed to work fine, imho.

Come to think of it, I got bored quickly with Martha Jones, and as for Donna Nobel -- couldn't stand her. Also Mickey Smith and Rory (companions 2nd class). Amy Pond was just bearable.

Dunno about the 12th doctor series though. I'm only up to the 3rd episode, but I get the distinct impression that nobody really knows what they're supposed to be doing.

strangerep said:
Dunno about the 12th doctor series though. I'm only up to the 3rd episode, but I get the distinct impression that nobody really knows what they're supposed to be doing.

Character development imo, is really not one of Moffat's strong points. He often sacrifices fleshing out a character for a flashier and more convoluted plot line and twists the characters into fitting the plot.* Right now I am getting a sense more of 7th Doctor with all the talking people around into submitting/jumping of skin balloons...

As for Coleman, I liked the premise of the character but now the impossible girl who could hack into the Dalek prison and Great Intelligence is teaching English and going on bad dates...

*I'm not complaining about the convolutions but RTD did the characters so much better...

The 4th - 5th - 7th - 10th - 11th Doctors give the Stone Henge speech (impressions).

Okay. The moon is a giant egg. Clara can tell off the writers while she is at it.

Algr said:
Okay. The moon is a giant egg. Clara can tell off the writers while she is at it.
I share your sentiment, but,... it made me wonder: why is "moon-as-giant-egg" more outrageous/ridiculous than the concept of the Tardis itself?

I agree. That was awful. That story needed an editor badly. Not only was the story terrible, it didn't really fit any of the characters. The Spock's Brain of Doctor Who.

Enigman said:
3a14b3572125c73df10d810aca235607.jpg

Twelfth may find a more inconspicuous catch word like the ninth, though.

hD97C60F0.jpg

I like the new catch phrase.

strangerep said:
I share your sentiment, but,... it made me wonder: why is "moon-as-giant-egg" more outrageous/ridiculous than the concept of the Tardis itself?

Current physics has some "definite maybes" when it comes to time travel. Even Hawking said that he felt that the best argument against it was that "we are not besieged with tourists from the future." But for the moon - we just know too much about it for the space dragon to be plausible. What is it eating? Wouldn't the embryo's growth cause obvious changes to the surface of the moon? (It can't be solid like an eggshell.) What does flapping it's tail accomplish? Shouldn't gravity crush the dragon into a ball?

I loved Matheison's writing of both the Orient express and Flatline. Three more episodes to go. :(

I thought Mummy was OK, but I really liked Flatline. It was the most serious Dr. Who in a long time, and at the same time, the funniest.

"It’s bigger on the inside"
“I don't think that statement has ever been truer.”

I can hear River screaming for blood after the last episode...silence in the library be damned.

Enigman said:
I can hear River screaming for blood after the last episode...silence in the library be damned.
Huh?? If you're referring to the pash, you do realize it's Capaldi she's snogging, right,...? :confused: ?:)

:D

Basically what I want the finale to be...
KissyMissy1.jpg

http://unrealityshout.com/files/imagecache/image_460/river-song-stormcage.jpg
riversong.jpg

river-song.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I still have a lot to catch up on. I saw a few shows from the original in the 70s then heard people talking about it this year and decided to get the DVDs. Cable is the only place we get it in lower Alabama and it's on a tier I don't have. I've been pulling in a backlog of DVDs including the classics.
I have to say, the BBC has done a great job with the series capturing the old style and bringing it to the new century. I'm in mid Tennant-Ageyman 3 series so this is all spoilers (NP). I have to agree with Willbell the physics and science is off enough that it's funny where other Shows and Movies try to get it right you find yourself trying to correct it. A working sonic is probably on the top of my list, that would be most handy to fix so many problems. And a tardis, it's smaller on the outside so less taxes for where you park it.

Well, there is always iTunes. If you don't watch too much it is cheaper than cable.

I started watching it on PBS in the 80s when they were showing Tom Baker episodes. I was quickly hooked on it and watched it any time I could. I was very pleased when they started it back up in '05 and still love the show.

I just finished re-watching re-runs from Christopher Eccleston through to Capaldi. Gotta say, I found Clara Oswald more enjoyable the 2nd or 3rd time around.

Anyway,... here's a controversial (and highly subjective) question: which episode (or sub-series) of Dr Who is your favorite?

Mine is The Rings of Akhaten, imperfectly executed though it is. Maybe because it's a long way from science fiction -- more like fantasy.

Some of the ones I thought were excellent:

Pertwee: Inferno, The Terror of the Autons, The Claws of Axos.
T. Baker: The Genesis of the Daleks, City of Death
Tennant: Blink, The Girl In The Fireplace
Capaldi: Flatline

Time Lord Victorious phase of the Tenth and the End of Time for Tennant.
A good man goes to war, The Doctor's wife for Smith.
And for Capaldi - Flatline, and Magician's Apprentice. I really hope the rest of the series carries on the momentum.

I just finished watching the 2005-2014 series on Hulu.
I'm now in the process of watching the 1963-89 series.
@ 3 hours per day, it should only take me 50 days.
The parts written for actresses certainly have evolved in the last 50 years. In season 1, the Doctor's granddaughter screams like a banshee every time something scary happens, which is way too often, IMHO. She's like a one person Beatles/Bieber audience. (I just watched videos for both. Young girls have apparently not evolved.)

For anyone not familiar with the entire 50 years, the Daleks showed up in season 1, episode 5, and were despicable from the start.
I was curious where the Doctor developed his hatred for them, in the new series.
I hadn't watched the series since probably 1977, as Tom Baker was the only Doctor I previously recognized.

Anyways, I'll see you in November. :smile:

Enigman said:
Time Lord Victorious phase of the Tenth and the End of Time for Tennant.
A good man goes to war, The Doctor's wife for Smith.
And for Capaldi - Flatline, and Magician's Apprentice. I really hope the rest of the series carries on the momentum.
It does.

The last episode 'Zygon inversion' is possibly the best episode I have seen in all of television.
I would have been quite satisfied with all the Clara-Bonnie mind games and the terrifying atmosphere of the first part of episode but then Capaldi stepped in and delivered the most Doctoresque monologue in the history of Doctor Who. I am having a very hard time imagining any of his predecessors pulling that one off. This and 'I am the man who stops the monsters' are going to be what we remember him by.

Enigman said:
The last episode 'Zygon inversion' is possibly the best episode I have seen in all of television. [...]
I would have been quite satisfied with all the Clara-Bonnie mind games and the terrifying atmosphere of the first part of episode but then Capaldi stepped in and delivered the most Doctoresque monologue in the history of Doctor Who. I am having a very hard time imagining any of his predecessors pulling that one off.
Hey! That's almost a spoiler -- I haven't seen that episode yet. (It airs in about 2 hrs time in my part of the world.) :oldgrumpy:

Think of it as more of a teaser then. You are in for a treat.

Enigman said:
then Capaldi stepped in and delivered the most Doctoresque monologue in the history of Doctor Who.
The underlying sentiments in that monologue have been a recurring feature since... forever. (Do you remember the first Dalek adventure? He tried to find a way for the Daleks and Thals to "get along", but failed. Similarly with humans and silurians, which also ended badly.

This was the first time where his efforts seemed to work. (Anyone remember another example? I don't.)

(BTW, I wonder why the Zygon makeup/costumes were so lame. Well below the usual standard for alien depictions in the new Dr Who series.)

I am having a very hard time imagining any of his predecessors pulling that one off.
I think Christopher Eccleston could have done it. :oldbiggrin:

The Zygons were originally from the Tom Baker era where costumes were less expensive and lower tech than today.

One thing I like about Capaldi is that you can really believe he's an older Tom Baker, and an older John Pertwee, and an older Matt Smith and even an older Sylvester McCoy.

Vanadium 50 said:
The Zygons were originally from the Tom Baker era where costumes were less expensive and lower tech than today.
Yes, but the Silurians were from the even-earlier Jon Pertwee era, and they were updated quite well in the modern series.

One thing I like about Capaldi is that you can really believe he's an older Tom Baker, and an older John Pertwee, and an older Matt Smith and even an older Sylvester McCoy.
An older Jon Pertwee?? Surely not.

Hmm,... checking Wikipedia,... I calculate that Pertwee was 55 when he stopped playing Dr Who. Capaldi first played Dr Who in 2013, making him... 55. What a coincidence. :oldbiggrin:

strangerep said:
Yes, but the Silurians were from the even-earlier Jon Pertwee era, and they were updated quite well in the modern series.

I wouldn't say that. Physics Forums ought to know the problem with boobs on a reptile. The original silurians were a single-gender race, (or if they weren't, we couldn't tell the difference.) and so seemed more alien. The new series silurians are just the usual humans in makeup. Does it make sense that humans could understand Silurian facial expressions and body language?

Algr said:
Physics Forums ought to know the problem with boobs on a reptile.
Ha! Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

Now this is what an alien ought to look like.
The Silurians 2.jpg

This is just scales and human clothes on an actress.
silurian.png