Drag force on a cylinder in an air tunnel

In summary, the student is trying to calculate the net force on a cylinder in an air tunnel. The flow velocity is higher in some parts behind the cylinder, and the student is trying to account for this by calculating the height of the control volume and using the given velocities.
ussername

Homework Statement

Let's have a cylinder in air tunnel. The air is flowing around cylinder. I want to calculate a net force acting on the cylinder. Part of the incoming air hits the cylinder and its trajectory direction changes. For that reason we can see straight behind the cylinder lower velocity (29 m/s) that is increasing with y coordinate.
20170512_155645.jpg

The air density is constant 1.23 kg/m3.

Homework Equations

In order to calculate (through the linear momentum bilance) the net force acting on cylinder, I have to consider control volume, that has mass outlet just behind the cylinder (that is above and under cylinder there are no mass flows). For that I need to consider sufficiently big height (Δy) of the control volume. Unfortunately I missed the teacher explanation of how to calculate this. Moreover I don't understand the given v2 function - I'm sure its wrong because at first v2 increases with y to some maximal value and then it convergate back to 30 m/s again - so this v2 function is deffinitely wrong.
Do you have some experience with that type of tasks?

The Attempt at a Solution

Through mass bilance I have to find minimal height of control volume with outlet only behind the cylinder.
Then from control surface dimensions and given velocities I calculate the net force acting on the cylinder.
The correct result is F=95.78 N

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the exact problem statement? Please copy it instead of describing it. Sometimes details can be important.

The flow velocity has to be larger than the wind tunnel velocity in some parts behind the obstacle, otherwise you would put more air into the tunnel than air goes out.

The region of y considered should be large enough to cover all relevant perturbations of the object I guess.

20170514_233639.jpg

20170514_233651.jpg

If you are just given the velocity profile in this 2 m meter region, I guess that is all you can use. Looks odd, but if the problem statement wants that...

1. What is drag force?

Drag force is a type of aerodynamic force that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air. It is caused by the resistance of the fluid to the object's motion and is directed in the opposite direction to the object's movement.

2. How is drag force calculated?

The drag force on a cylinder in an air tunnel can be calculated using the formula Fd = 0.5 * ρ * V^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity of the fluid relative to the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder.

3. What factors affect the drag force on a cylinder in an air tunnel?

The drag force on a cylinder in an air tunnel can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the cylinder, the density and velocity of the fluid, and the roughness of the cylinder's surface. Additionally, the angle of attack and the presence of turbulence in the fluid can also impact the drag force.

4. How does the drag force on a cylinder change with velocity?

As the velocity of the fluid increases, the drag force on a cylinder in an air tunnel will also increase. This is because the faster the fluid moves, the more energy it has to exert on the object, resulting in a greater drag force. However, at higher velocities, the drag force may reach a point of equilibrium where it remains constant.

5. How can the drag force on a cylinder be reduced?

The drag force on a cylinder in an air tunnel can be reduced by changing its shape to be more streamlined and reducing its surface roughness. Additionally, decreasing the velocity of the fluid or altering the angle of attack can also decrease the drag force. Using aerodynamic optimization techniques, such as adding a fairing or vortex generators, can also help to reduce drag force on a cylinder.