Drag force on a two-dimensional structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the testing of a two-dimensional structure in a wind tunnel with specific air density, height, and pressure conditions. The objective is to calculate the drag per unit length of the structure, taking into account the velocity profile at the exit and neglecting wind tunnel wall shear stress. The use of the Reynolds Transport Theorem is suggested to solve for the drag force term, as the system is dissipative and does not conserve momentum due to drag.
fruitstreet
"A two-dimensional structure is tested in a wind tunnel with an air density of 1 kg/m3. The wind tunnel is 1 m high, with upstream and downstream pressures of 1.5 kPa gage (i.e. above atmospheric) and 1 kPa gage respectively. If the mean velocity of the entering air is 30 m/s and the downstream velocity profile is as shown below, what is the drag per unit length of the structure? Neglect wind tunnel wall shear stress."

The object in the wind tunnel is a two-dimensional hexagon with an undefined length. I understand that Fd=Cd(rho)(V^2)A/2. I'm getting hung up on having a 1 dimensional area, and if I simply apply that equation then I'm not using the given pressures.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the exact problem and am also struggling a bit. Who want's the challenge!

also the velocity profile at the exit is equal to zero at the center. It increases linearly to v1 at the outer edge because we ignore shear stress from the wall

If you are familiar with the Reynolds Transport Theorem, use it on on the momentum in the profile before and after the object (which you are given) and an unknown body force term. If you solve for the force term, you end up with the drag.

A system with drag is dissipative (or non-conservative), so momentum in the flow is not conserved as some is removed by the drag on the object.

Thank you very much

Related to Drag force on a two-dimensional structure

1. What is drag force on a two-dimensional structure?

Drag force on a two-dimensional structure is a force that opposes the motion of the structure through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the interaction between the structure and the fluid, and is dependent on factors such as the shape and size of the structure, the speed of the fluid, and the properties of the fluid itself.

2. How is drag force calculated on a two-dimensional structure?

The drag force on a two-dimensional structure can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the fluid density, the velocity of the fluid, the cross-sectional area of the structure, and the drag coefficient. This equation is Fd = 0.5 * ρ * V^2 * Cd * A, where Fd is the drag force, ρ is the fluid density, V is the velocity, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the drag force on a two-dimensional structure?

The drag force on a two-dimensional structure is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the structure, the speed of the fluid, the fluid density, and the viscosity of the fluid. Other factors that can influence drag force include surface roughness, turbulence, and the presence of other structures or objects in the fluid.

4. How does drag force impact the movement of a two-dimensional structure?

Drag force can significantly impact the movement of a two-dimensional structure, as it creates a resistance that must be overcome by the structure's propulsion or driving force. The higher the drag force, the more energy is required to move the structure through the fluid. This can affect the speed, stability, and efficiency of the structure's movement.

5. How can drag force on a two-dimensional structure be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce drag force on a two-dimensional structure. One method is by changing the shape of the structure to one that is more streamlined and creates less resistance. Another approach is to use materials with lower drag coefficients, such as smooth and polished surfaces. Additionally, reducing the speed or altering the flow of the fluid around the structure can also help to decrease drag force.