Drag on a marble shot through water

In summary, the conversation discusses an object moving in a liquid and experiencing a linear drag force. The drag coefficient is dependent on the velocity and can be calculated for a sphere using the viscosity of the liquid. The question involves solving for the distance a marble will travel in water at a certain temperature, using the drag formula. The conversation also mentions the use of differential equations to solve for the time and velocity of the object.
oneamp

Homework Statement

An object moving in a liquid experiences a linear drag force: D⃗ =(bv, direction opposite the motion), where b is a constant called the drag coefficient. For a sphere of radius R, the drag constant can be computed as b=6πηR, where η is the viscosity of the liquid.

Homework Equations

Drag equation is given in the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working toward a solution but there is something that troubles me. Drag, D = bv, depends on velocity. But, velocity changes continually from the point the marble first begins to slow down, until it reaches zero. So how can I come up with net force for this to solve the kinnematic equations, when they are dependant on a constantly changing velocity?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
oneamp said:

Homework Statement

An object moving in a liquid experiences a linear drag force: D⃗ =(bv, direction opposite the motion), where b is a constant called the drag coefficient. For a sphere of radius R, the drag constant can be computed as b=6πηR, where η is the viscosity of the liquid.
And the question being?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working toward a solution but there is something that troubles me. Drag, D = bv, depends on velocity. But, velocity changes continually from the point the marble first begins to slow down, until it reaches zero. So how can I come up with net force for this to solve the kinnematic equations, when they are dependant on a constantly changing velocity?
Yes, the velocity and hence the force will change. You will need to make use of differential equations and solve them.

The question is:

Water at 20 ∘C has viscosity η=1.0×10−3Ns/m2. Suppose a 1.0-cm-diameter, 1.2g marble is shot horizontally into a tank of 20 ∘C water at 15cm/s . How far will it travel before stopping?

My confusion is with the general principle of using v in the equation. This class requires only calc 1 so I don't think a differential equation is what they're looking for.

D=bv
m(dv/dt)=bv
integrate (EDIT->) and you get time taken to stop and also if you let the limits be in terms of variables you will get a similar equation for v and t.

Last edited:
I will try that out, thank you.

How does that help? I integrate and still get either the derivative of velocity on the left, or velocity (integral of the derivative of velocity, is velocity). So I still have velocity in the equation...

Enigman said:
D=bv
m(dv/dt)=bv
integrate (EDIT->) and you get time taken to stop and also if you let the limits be in terms of variables you will get a similar equation for v and t.

$$m ln(v)=bt$$
$$ln(v)=bt/m$$
$$v=e^{bt/m}$$
$$\frac{dx}{dt}=e^{bt/m}$$
Integrate.

1. What is drag force and how does it affect a marble shot through water?

Drag force is a type of resistance that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid, such as water. It is caused by the interaction between the object's surface and the fluid molecules. When a marble is shot through water, drag force acts in the opposite direction of its motion, slowing it down.

2. How is drag force calculated for a marble shot through water?

The calculation of drag force on a marble shot through water involves several factors, such as the velocity of the marble, its surface area, and the density and viscosity of the water. The most commonly used equation for drag force is Fd = ½ρAv²Cd, where ρ is the density of water, A is the cross-sectional area of the marble, v is its velocity, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. Does the shape of the marble affect the amount of drag force it experiences in water?

Yes, the shape of the marble does impact the amount of drag force it experiences in water. Generally, a more streamlined shape will experience less drag force compared to a more spherical shape, as it can move through the water with less resistance.

4. Is drag force the only factor affecting the motion of a marble shot through water?

No, besides drag force, there are other factors that can affect the motion of a marble shot through water. These include the initial velocity and trajectory of the marble, as well as the properties of the water, such as its temperature and density. These factors can all influence the amount of drag force experienced by the marble.

5. How can drag force be reduced for a marble shot through water?

To reduce drag force on a marble shot through water, the most effective approach is to minimize its surface area and streamline its shape. This can be achieved by using a more aerodynamic marble or by adding a coating that reduces drag, such as a hydrophobic material. Additionally, increasing the initial velocity of the marble can also help to overcome the drag force and maintain its speed.