A child rolls a marble....Plot graphs etc.

In summary, the child releases the marble and sets it in motion at x=0, and watches it roll to x=90 cm, where it turns around and eventually returns to x=0 with the same speed with which the child released it. The velocity and acceleration curves are correctly drawn and the average acceleration is positive.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

Serway Physics Section 2.4 Accerleration

16. A child rolls a marble on a bent track that is 100 cm long as shown in Figure P2.16.
We use x to represent the position of the marble along the track. On the horizontal sections
from x=0 to x=20 cm and from x=40 cm to x=60 cm, the marble rolls with constant speed.
On the sloping sections, the marble's speed changes steadily. At the places where the
slope changes, the marble stays on the track and does not undergo any sudden changes
in speed. The child gives the marble some initial speed at x=0 and t=0 and then watches
it roll to x=90 cm, where it turns around, eventually returning to x = 0 with the same speed with which the child released it. Prepare graphs of x versus t, ##v_x## versus t, and ##a_x## versus t, vertically
alligned with their time axes identical, to show the motion of the marble. You will not be
able to place numbers other than zero on the horizontal axis or on the velocity or
acceleration axes, but show the correct graph shapes.

Homework Equations

Serway Physics Figure P2_16.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Serway Physics 2_16001.jpg

I have drawn the velocity vs time and acceleration vs time. Is this correct?

At velocity vs time graph I am confused with the last slope. It is a positive slope
starting with a negative velocity and ends with less negative velocity. This is the
time that the marble on the way back travels from 40 cm to 20 cm up the slope.
So I am confused if the acceleration should be positive or negative?

Attachments

• Serway Physics Figure P2_16.jpg
    Serway Physics Figure P2_16.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 2,069
  • Serway Physics 2_16001.jpg
    Serway Physics 2_16001.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 2,210
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexanddros81 said:
At velocity vs time graph I am confused with the last slope. It is a positive slope
starting with a negative velocity and ends with less negative velocity. This is the
time that the marble on the way back travels from 40 cm to 20 cm up the slope.
So I am confused if the acceleration should be positive or negative?
You've drawn the velocity versus time curve correctly, showing a negative velocity with a positive slope. You've correctly described the velocity as becoming "less negative" over time.

You could have filled in the relevant equations section with the formula that defines average acceleration: ##\frac{v_f-v_i}{\Delta t}##. What does that equation say about the sign of the acceleration in this situation?

Last edited:
Likes Alexanddros81
We can say that ##v_f = -3 m/s## and ##v_i = -6 m/s##
Then ##a_{avg} = \frac {-3 - (-6)} {Δt} = \frac {-3 + 6} {Δt} = \frac {+3} {Δt}##
We can see that the average acceleration is positive since numerator and denumerator are both positive.

Here is my answer:

Serway Physics 2_16002.jpg

Serway Physics 2_16003.jpg

My sketch for x vs t didn't came out that symetrical as it should be.

Is the above correct?

Attachments

• Serway Physics 2_16002.jpg
    Serway Physics 2_16002.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,781
  • Serway Physics 2_16003.jpg
    Serway Physics 2_16003.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,681
It looks good to me.

1. What is the purpose of plotting graphs in this experiment?

The purpose of plotting graphs in this experiment is to visually represent the data collected and observe any patterns or trends that may exist. This can help in drawing conclusions and making predictions based on the results.

2. What type of data should be collected when a child rolls a marble?

The data that should be collected when a child rolls a marble includes the distance the marble travels, the time it takes to travel that distance, and the type of surface it is rolling on. Other variables such as the size and weight of the marble can also be recorded.

3. How can the data collected from this experiment be used to calculate the speed of the marble?

The data collected can be used to calculate the speed of the marble by using the formula speed = distance/time. By recording the distance and time variables, the speed of the marble can be determined.

4. What are some factors that may affect the results of this experiment?

Some factors that may affect the results of this experiment include the surface the marble is rolling on, the size and weight of the marble, and the force applied by the child when rolling the marble. Other environmental factors such as wind or temperature can also impact the results.

5. Can this experiment be modified for different age groups?

Yes, this experiment can be modified for different age groups by adjusting the variables and level of complexity. Younger children may focus on rolling the marble for a shorter distance, while older children may explore different surfaces or use multiple marbles at once. The key is to make the experiment engaging and age-appropriate for the target audience.