Drag Racing Acceleration Question

In summary, the car has a constant acceleration from 0 to 20m and a sudden change in speed from 20 to 400m.
Grace204

Homework Statement

Drag racing usually involves two cars racing each other over a set distance. Although distances range from 200 m to 1 km, the 400.0 m drag race is the most popular. This race tests a vehicle's acceleration and top speed.
Data collected on a race by a dragster-
Distance (m) | 20.0 | 400.0 |
Time (s) | 0.945| 8.96 |

The acceleration of the dragster, from the 20.0 m mark to the 400.0 m mark, is?

Homework Equations

v= d/t
a= (Vf - Vi)/ t

The Attempt at a Solution

Vi= d/t
= 20.0m/0.945s
= 21.16m/s
Vf= d/t
= 400.0m/8.96s
= 44.64 m/s
a = (Vf- Vi)/t
= (44.64 - 21.16)/ (8.96 - 0.945)
= 2.93 m/s2

I know that this isn't right because the answer is supposed to be 1.27 m/s2. But I can't figure out how to solve it to get this answer. If anyone could tell me if I'm using the wrong formula or doing something wrong that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Grace204 said:
Vi= d/t
= 20.0m/0.945s
= 21.16m/s
This means there is no acceleration from 0m to 20m mark..Is that given in the problem?
Grace204 said:
Vf= d/t
= 400.0m/8.96s
= 44.64 m/s
This is a sudden change in speed( in zero time) and no acceleration from 20 to 400m mark..
I believe the car has a constant acceleration a1 from 0 to 20m and a2 from 20 to 400 m.

I don't really understand what you mean by that; could you explain further?

Distance (m) | 20.0 | 400.0 |
Time (s) | 0.945| 8.96

So a distance of 380 (480-20) meters is run in 8.015 (8.960 - 0.945) seconds, for an average speed of 47.41 m/s. The issue is the acceleration and speed at 20 meters is unknown. For the given answer of 1.27 m / s^2, the increase in speed over 8.015 seconds is only 10.18 m/s, meaning the speed at 20 meters would have to be 37.23 m/s, which seems unlikely.

Grace204 said:
I don't really understand what you mean by that; could you explain further?
From 0 to 20m, you calculated speed as 21.16m/s. This means the car is moving with constant speed from 0 to 20m. So, there is no acceleration. Also, from 20m to 400m, you calculated the speed as 44.64m/s. This means, the car changed its speed from 21.16m/s to 44.64m/s in zero time. This is not possible. Here's what I think of the scenario:
The car starts from rest and has constant acceleration a1 from 0 to 20m span. Then from 20m to 400m span, it has acceleration a2. Is there anything else given in the problem regarding acceleration?

cnh1995 said:
From 0 to 20m, you calculated speed as 21.16m/s. This means the car is moving with constant speed from 0 to 20m. So, there is no acceleration. Also, from 20m to 400m, you calculated the speed as 44.64m/s. This means, the car changed its speed from 21.16m/s to 44.64m/s in zero time. This is not possible. Here's what I think of the scenario:
The car starts from rest and has constant acceleration a1 from 0 to 20m span. Then from 20m to 400m span, it has acceleration a2. Is there anything else given in the problem regarding acceleration?
It looks as if what cnh1995 states is what is meant in the problem. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't a very satisfactory approximation to the motion of the drag racing vehicle.

Don't forget, for constant acceleration, ##\displaystyle \ v_\text{avg}=\frac{v_f+v_i}{2}\ ##.

Putting this all together does give a ≈ 1.27 m/s2 .

SammyS said:
It looks as if what cnh1995 states is what is meant in the problem. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't a very satisfactory approximation to the motion of the drag racing vehicle.

Don't forget, for constant acceleration, ##\displaystyle \ v_\text{avg}=\frac{v_f+v_i}{2}\ ##.

Putting this all together does give a ≈ 1.27 m/s2 .
How does it equal 1.27? I've been trying, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Grace204 said:
How does it equal 1.27? I've been trying, but I just can't seem to figure it out.
Let ##\ t_1=0.945\text{s}\,,\ x_1=20\text{m, and } v_1 \ ##be the velocity at ##\ t_1\ ##. Furthermore, let ##\ \bar v_1 \ ## be the average velocity from time 0 to ##\ t_1 \ ##.

Similarly:
Let ##\ t_2=8.96\text{s}\,,\ x_2=400\text{m, and } v_2 \ ##be the velocity at ##\ t_2\ ##. Furthermore, let ##\ \bar v_2 \ ## be the average velocity from time ##\ t_1 \ ## to time ##\ t_2 \ ##.

Find ##\ \bar v_1 \ ## and ##\ \bar v_2 \ ##. From those, find ##\ v_1 \ ## and then ##\ v_2 \ ##. Then find average acceleration from time ##\ t_1 \ ## to time ##\ t_2 \ ##.

*Edit:
There was a typo in the above It's now corrected to read as x2 = 400 m.

Last edited:
Now I understand, except why would x1 be equal to 300 m?

SammyS said:
Let ##\ t_1=0.945\text{s}\,,\ x_1=20\text{m, and } v_1 \ ##be the velocity at ##\ t_1\ ##. Furthermore, let ##\ \bar v_1 \ ## be the average velocity from time 0 to ##\ t_1 \ ##.

Similarly:
Let ##\ t_2=8.96\text{s}\,,\ x_1=300\text{m, and } v_2 \ ##be the velocity at ##\ t_2\ ##. Furthermore, let ##\ \bar v_2 \ ## be the average velocity from time ##\ t_1 \ ## to time ##\ t_2 \ ##.

Find ##\ \bar v_1 \ ## and ##\ \bar v_2 \ ##. From those, find ##\ v_1 \ ## and then ##\ v_2 \ ##. Then find average acceleration from time ##\ t_1 \ ## to time ##\ t_2 \ ##.
Also, I found that velocity 1 = 21.16 m/s and velocity 2= 33.48 m/s
How do I find v1 and v2 from there? Can you tell me the formula please?

Grace204 said:
Also, I found that velocity 1 = 21.16 m/s and velocity 2= 33.48 m/s
How do I find v1 and v2 from there? Can you tell me the formula please?
20/0.945 ≈ 21.16 m/s is the average velocity from t = 0 to t1 . Assuming uniform acceleration over that time, what is the instantaneous velocity, v1, at time t1 ?

(See the corrected value for x2 .)

1. What is drag racing acceleration?

Drag racing acceleration is the rate at which a vehicle's speed increases from a standstill to its maximum speed over a short distance. It is a measure of the vehicle's ability to accelerate quickly and is a key factor in drag racing competitions.

2. How is drag racing acceleration measured?

Drag racing acceleration is typically measured by timing a vehicle's acceleration over a standardized distance, usually 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile. This time is then converted into a speed using the formula speed = distance/time. The resulting speed is the vehicle's acceleration in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

3. What factors affect drag racing acceleration?

Several factors can affect drag racing acceleration, including the vehicle's engine power and torque, weight, aerodynamics, tires, and track conditions. The amount of traction the tires have on the track and the vehicle's launch technique can also greatly impact acceleration.

4. How do drag racing cars achieve such high acceleration?

Drag racing cars are specifically designed for maximum acceleration. They are lightweight and have powerful engines, often with forced induction systems such as superchargers or turbochargers. These cars also have specialized tires with sticky compounds to provide the most traction on the track.

5. Can drag racing acceleration be improved?

Yes, there are various ways to improve drag racing acceleration, such as engine modifications, reducing weight, improving aerodynamics, and using specialized tires and other performance parts. Launch techniques, such as using a transbrake or line lock, can also greatly improve acceleration. However, there are strict regulations in place for professional drag racing competitions, so any modifications must comply with these rules.