Dragging a Board problem, fairly simple yet somehow I am getting it wrong?

• Thread starter jcfor3ver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Board
In summary, the problem involves a uniform board with length and mass being pulled from one region with coefficient of kinetic friction μ1 to another region with coefficient μ2. The positive direction is shown in the figure. The work done in this scenario would fall between mg*μ1*L and mg*μ2*L, with the exact value being determined by a graph of force vs distance.
jcfor3ver

Homework Statement

A uniform board of length and mass lies near a boundary that separates two regions. In region 1, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the board and the surface is , and in region 2, the coefficient is . The positive direction is shown in the figure.

Homework Equations

Wnet= -[(M*g*mu1*L)+(M*g*mu2*L)]

The Attempt at a Solution

^^^^^^ wouldn't that be my solution above? computer is teling me that I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Initially the board is in μ1 territory and it gets pulled into μ2 territory, right?
Is it stretched out perpendicular to the boundary?
If so, initially the force of friction is mg*μ1. After pulling the full length of the board, the force of friction is mg*μ2. So the work should be somewhere between mg*μ1*L and mg*μ2*L.

I would suggest sketching a graph of force vs distance. The area under this graph will be the work done.

where is the figure?

Related to Dragging a Board problem, fairly simple yet somehow I am getting it wrong?

1. Why am I having trouble with this seemingly simple board dragging problem?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are struggling with this problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying principles, not approaching the problem in the most efficient way, or making small errors in your calculations. It's important to carefully review your approach and seek help or clarification if needed.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for this type of problem?

Practice and repetition are key when it comes to improving problem-solving skills. It's also helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, and to seek feedback or guidance from others if you're stuck. Additionally, studying and understanding the relevant concepts and principles will make it easier to apply them to similar problems in the future.

3. Are there any strategies or techniques that can help me solve this problem more effectively?

One useful strategy is to start by visualizing the problem and identifying any key relationships or patterns. You can also try approaching the problem from different angles or using different methods to see which one is most efficient. Additionally, double-checking your work and making sure you haven't made any small errors can also make a big difference in solving the problem accurately.

4. Where can I find additional resources to help me with this type of problem?

There are many online resources available that can provide helpful tips and practice problems for board dragging problems. You can also consult with your peers, teachers, or mentors for additional guidance and support. Remember, practice and perseverance are key to improving your skills in this area.

5. How can I apply the principles I learned from this problem to real-world situations?

Board dragging problems often involve applying principles of physics and forces. These concepts are used in various real-world situations, such as designing structures, predicting the motion of objects, and understanding how different materials behave. By mastering these types of problems, you can develop critical thinking skills that can be applied in many different fields and industries.