Dragstar's maximum acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a dragstar with a weight of 1000kg and a wheelbase of 6m. The dragstar is assumed to have an unlimited amount of power available to the rear wheels and the centre of mass is located 1m forward and 0.5m above the contact point of the rear wheels. The coefficient of static friction of the tyre/track interface is 0.6. The conversation then delves into calculating the maximum acceleration that can be achieved before the front wheels lift off. The conversation includes equations for calculating moments about the centre of gravity and the rear wheel, but it is unclear how the coefficient of friction is incorporated into the calculation. Finally, there is a discussion about the weight at
cmcd

Homework Statement

A dragstar which weighs 1000kg has a wheelbase 6m long and is assumed to have an unlimited amount of power available to the rear wheels. If the centre of mass of the vehicle is situated 1m forward of and 0.5m above the contact point of the rear wheels and the coefficient of static friction of the tyre/track interface is 0.6 the maximum acceleration which can be developed before the front wheels lift off is...

A- 3.24m/s^2
B - 9.81m/s^2
C- 19.62m/s^2
D- 5.89m/s^2
E- 7.34m/s^2

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/cmcdona22/media/002_zps0563b57c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/cmcdona22/media/003_zps3253eaf5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Homework Equations

F= ma
F_fric= μR

The Attempt at a Solution

Moments about C.o.G. - horizontal distance x vertical force
2R_A x X =2R_B x ( L - X)
2R_A = 2R_B x (L - X)/X

2R_A + 2R_B = mg

2R_B( 1 + (L - X)/X) = mg
2R_B = [X/L] mg

2R_A = [(L - X)/L] mg

Moment about C.o.G. - vertical distance x horizontal force

M_(about A - The rear wheel) = 0 ... for the car not to lift.

vert force x horiz dist
M_A = 2[(X)/L]mg x (L-X) - 2[(X)/L]m ( a - gμ ) x .5

M_A = 0

a_max = 15.886m/s^2

Am I doing the moments wrong?
Or have I gone wrong elsewhere?
Thanks very much,
cmcd

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
Moments about C.o.G. - horizontal distance x vertical force
2R_A x X =2R_B x ( L - X)
What about vertical distance * horizontal force? The dragster is accelerating.

2R_A + 2R_B = mg
That would make the dragster fly upwards like an airplane.

Where did you use "before the front wheels lift off"? What does that condition mean? Every lower acceleration is possible as well - but there is something special about this point.

M_(about A - The rear wheel) = 0 ... for the car not to lift.
Okay.

vert force x horiz dist
M_A = 2[(X)/L]mg x (L-X) - 2[(X)/L]m ( a - gμ ) x .5
I have no idea what you calculate here.

The coefficient of friction is supplied. How could that value influence the answer?

A warning: Once you calculate the correct answer, you will note that it is either exactly one of the choices they provide or a bit less. If it's a bit less, it's because you took into account the stated fact that only the rear wheels can deliver power but they did not.

@mfb,

The piece where you have no idea what I'm trying to calculate is the vertical distance * horizontal force.

.5 is the vertical distance, Y in the image I attached.

I took the weight at the front wheel to be the reaction force, is that not right?

@.Scott,

Hey .Scott, well it should affect the horizontal force opposite to the motion of the car. And since both wheels experience different reaction forces there's a different amount of friction that they both experience: the rear wheels experience more than the front wheels. The moment about the rear wheels I tried to calculate by multiplying the reaction force at the front wheels by the horizontal distance from the C.o.G. and set it equal to the vertical distance from the C.o.G. by the force due to acceleration.

cmcd said:
@.Scott,

Hey .Scott, well it should affect the horizontal force opposite to the motion of the car. And since both wheels experience different reaction forces there's a different amount of friction that they both experience: the rear wheels experience more than the front wheels. The moment about the rear wheels I tried to calculate by multiplying the reaction force at the front wheels by the horizontal distance from the C.o.G. and set it equal to the vertical distance from the C.o.G. by the force due to acceleration.
Let me be more explicit. Given your coefficient of friction, is there any possibility of the front wheels leaving the ground?

Likes 1 person
cmcd said:
The piece where you have no idea what I'm trying to calculate is the vertical distance * horizontal force.
Where does your expression for the horizontal force come from?

I took the weight at the front wheel to be the reaction force, is that not right?
Which weight at the front wheel? The equations you have so far are not suitable to get it.

Likes 1 person

What is Dragstar's maximum acceleration?

Dragstar's maximum acceleration is the highest rate at which the vehicle can increase its velocity. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is Dragstar's maximum acceleration calculated?

The maximum acceleration of Dragstar is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes to make that change. This can be represented as a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What factors affect Dragstar's maximum acceleration?

Several factors can affect Dragstar's maximum acceleration, including the vehicle's engine power, weight, aerodynamics, and traction. The type of surface the vehicle is accelerating on can also have an impact.

How does Dragstar's maximum acceleration compare to other vehicles?

The maximum acceleration of Dragstar depends on its specific design and features. It may be higher or lower than other vehicles, depending on factors such as its engine power and weight. However, it is known for its high acceleration capabilities.

Why is Dragstar's maximum acceleration important in racing?

In racing, the ability to accelerate quickly is crucial for gaining an advantage over other vehicles and ultimately winning the race. Dragstar's high maximum acceleration allows it to reach top speeds faster and maintain a competitive edge on the track.