Solving acceleration of a car with torques

In summary, the problem involves determining the maximum acceleration of a car on a flat road given its wheelbase, center of gravity, and coefficient of friction. The solution involves analyzing two separate constraints - tipping and coefficient of static friction - and determining which one imposes the lower limit on acceleration. The three external forces acting on the car are the friction force, applied force of the engine, and the normal force from the ground. The friction force only acts on the rear wheels, where the acceleration takes place.
whatdoido
Hi!

I cannot get rid of a mass and having some confusion about this whole problem.

1. Homework Statement

A car's wheelbase is 300 cm and its center of gravity horizontal distance from rear axle is 120 cm and its distance from the ground is 75 cm. Wheels and ground's coefficient of friction is 0,50. Specify maximum acceleration on a flat road if the car is rear wheel drive. With what solution this acceleration could be improved?

##x=120 cm=1,2 m##
##\mu=0,50##
##a=300 cm=3,0 m##
##b=75 cm=0,75 m##

Homework Equations

##M=J\alpha##
##M=Fr##
[itex]J=\frac{1}{2}mr^2[/itex]
[itex]\sum M=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew an illustration about the problem:
auto.png

A is the center of gravity. I understand that the wheel creates a torque ##F_1b## when ##F_\mu\mu=F_1##. ##F_3a## is the torque that keeps the car's front down in relation to wheel. As far as I can see, I can try solving the acceleration with torques ##F_1b## and ##F_3a## in relation to the wheel(s) but obviously ##F_2## is the force that keeps car's rear down and cannot be ignored. I can solve car's proportional masses in relation to A with torques ##F_1x## and ##F_3(a-x)## but I don't know how that helps. So first step would be to know in what relation I should try solving torques. Also how to solve acceleration without knowing wheel's mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force that accelerates the car is the friction force Fμ. That depends on the force on the rear wheels F2. The weight of the car (F1) is distributed between F2 and F3 (eg F3 reduces and F2 increases if the car accelerates). Under what condition is F2 a maximum and what's it's value?

Edit: Sorry I think I might be leading you astray here. Typically F2 is a max when the car is just about pulling a wheelie and so F3 = zero. However after some thought I'm not sure you can assume this us true for this problem.

Last edited:
What your diagram doesn't show is the rearward acting force, call it Fi = ma acting through the centre of gravity due to the cars acceleration.

It appears you are also assuming the wheel radius is 0.75m which need not be the case.

Last edited:
whatdoido said:
the wheel creates a torque F1b when Fμ=F1. F3a is the torque that keeps the car's front down in relation to wheel.
Your diagram is unnecessarily complicated. Treat the car as a rigid body. When the car is on the point of flipping, only three forces act on it. What are they? Take torques about the car's mass centre.

CWatters said:
What your diagram doesn't show is the rearward acting force, call it Fi = ma acting through the centre of gravity due to the cars acceleration.

It appears you are also assuming the wheel radius is 0.75m which need not be the case.
Yes I assumed that because I thought I could not solve it without that assumption. But true, I should not assume something like that..

So acceleration creates a force in point A? Then it would point upwards?

haruspex said:
Your diagram is unnecessarily complicated. Treat the car as a rigid body. When the car is on the point of flipping, only three forces act on it. What are they? Take torques about the car's mass centre.
##F_1, F_2## and ##F_3##

I would mark ##F_3## as zero when ##F_1 = F_2## around tipping point, but CWatters is unsure I can assume ##F_3## as zero.

whatdoido said:
##F_1, F_2## and ##F_3##

I would mark ##F_3## as zero when ##F_1 = F_2## around tipping point, but CWatters is unsure I can assume ##F_3## as zero.
There are two separate constraints that may limit the acceleration. One involves tipping, the other involves the coefficient of static friction. To answer the problem completely, you have to analyse each separately and see which one imposes the lower limit.
In my post #4, I was concerned with the tipping constraint. CWatters' point is that F3 need to be zero if the other other constraint is the limiting one. But let's go through the tipping first, so we can take F3 as zero.
There are still three forces that act on the car as a whole. In your diagram, I assume the circle is a rear wheel. I don't know what F1 represents, but it does not appear to be an external force acting on the car. F2 seems to be a force on the rear wheel from the car, so again that is an internal force. So, having discounted F1, F2 and F3, what three external forces act on the car as a whole?

haruspex said:
There are two separate constraints that may limit the acceleration. One involves tipping, the other involves the coefficient of static friction. To answer the problem completely, you have to analyse each separately and see which one imposes the lower limit.
In my post #4, I was concerned with the tipping constraint. CWatters' point is that F3 need to be zero if the other other constraint is the limiting one. But let's go through the tipping first, so we can take F3 as zero.
There are still three forces that act on the car as a whole. In your diagram, I assume the circle is a rear wheel. I don't know what F1 represents, but it does not appear to be an external force acting on the car. F2 seems to be a force on the rear wheel from the car, so again that is an internal force. So, having discounted F1, F2 and F3, what three external forces act on the car as a whole?

Ok, I understand the goal of this problem a bit more clearly. ##F_1## represents the force created by friction, but let's leave it out. If I would list three external forces acting on the car, then ##F_\mu## the friction force, applied force of engine and grounds normal force would be them. So engine creates a torque to wheel and act on rear wheels and normal force acts on all four wheels. The friction force should be considered on rear wheels only? Since that's where the acceleration happens

EDIT: Yes, circle is the rear wheel

whatdoido said:
Ok, I understand the goal of this problem a bit more clearly. ##F_1## represents the force created by friction, but let's leave it out. If I would list three external forces acting on the car, then ##F_\mu## the friction force, applied force of engine and grounds normal force would be them. So engine creates a torque to wheel and act on rear wheels and normal force acts on all four wheels. The friction force should be considered on rear wheels only? Since that's where the acceleration happens

EDIT: Yes, circle is the rear wheel
The engine is part of the car, so that is not an external force. For the third force, consider why there is a normal force on the wheels.
As for that normal force, is it the same on all four wheels?

haruspex said:
The engine is part of the car, so that is not an external force. For the third force, consider why there is a normal force on the wheels.
As for that normal force, is it the same on all four wheels?
Because of gravity? So gravity is external force?

I would think that normal force is higher on the rear wheels since it is closer to the center of gravity

whatdoido said:
Because of gravity? So gravity is external force?

I would think that normal force is higher on the rear wheels since it is closer to the center of gravity
Yes. If the car is on the point of tipping, can you be more specific about the distribution of the normal forces?

haruspex said:
Yes. If the car is on the point of tipping, can you be more specific about the distribution of the normal forces?
At point B it would be 0 meaning that on rear wheels the normal force ##N=mg##. ##m## is the weight of the car

whatdoido said:
At point B it would be 0 meaning that on rear wheels the normal force ##N=mg##. ##m## is the weight of the car
Right.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity of an object over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point.

How do you calculate acceleration of a car with torques?

To calculate acceleration of a car with torques, you need to know the mass of the car, the net torque applied, and the moment of inertia of the car. Using the formula a = Στ/I, where a is acceleration, Στ is the net torque, and I is the moment of inertia, you can find the acceleration of the car.

What factors affect acceleration of a car with torques?

The main factors that affect acceleration of a car with torques are the net torque applied, the moment of inertia of the car, and the mass of the car. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and the condition of the road can also have an impact on acceleration.

Why is it important to solve for acceleration of a car with torques?

Solving for acceleration of a car with torques is important because it helps us understand the motion of the car and how different forces and factors affect its movement. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations for engineering and design purposes, such as determining the power and torque needed for a car to reach a certain acceleration or speed.