Draw a circuit diagram to measure resistance of wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a rheostat in a circuit to control the voltage applied to an unknown resistance and prevent damage. The rheostat also allows for varying the current and obtaining a range of values to draw a graph and determine the resistance. The inclusion of a rheostat is important for practical reasons and to ensure the voltage source does not exceed its current limit.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

image.jpg

This is how I drew it (in pencil) , but there should be a rheostat connected in series with the power supply, why?i can already calculate the resistance straight away by V/I

Physics news on Phys.org
There may be additional reasons, but a very basic one is that if you connected that circuit without additional resistance, such as from a rheostat, bad things would happen because you'd have a short circuit.

A piece of wire has a very low resistance. That means that you are in effect short circuiting the power supply with the wire. The reostat adds additional resistance in the circuit to keep the current drawn from the power supply within the limits of the power supply, so it is more for practical than theoretical reasons that it is needed.

Janiceleong26 said:
This is how I drew it (in pencil) , but there should be a rheostat connected in series with the power supply, why?i can already calculate the resistance straight away by V/I
You need control over the voltage applied to the unknown resistance, else it is likely to be destroyed before you can take your measurements. Your circuit shows a fixed voltage source connected to the unknown R, and with R being unknown you can't know ahead of time whether this voltage will be safe for the unknown resistor. A rheostat set to maximum can offer protection, and its inclusion shows you have considered this angle.

Had you shown the voltage source to be variable, then the rheostat would probably not be considered a necessary inclusion.

The function highlighted by andrewkirk is also appropriate, because every voltage source has a limit to the current it can supply.

You can vary the current in the wire by changing the reostat setting and thereby obtain a range of I, V values from which you could draw a graph and relate the gradient of the graph to the wire's resistance.

andrevdh said:
You can vary the current in the wire by changing the reostat setting and thereby obtain a range of I, V values from which you could draw a graph and relate the gradient of the graph to the wire's resistance.
NascentOxygen said:
You need control over the voltage applied to the unknown resistance, else it is likely to be destroyed before you can take your measurements. Your circuit shows a fixed voltage source connected to the unknown R, and with R being unknown you can't know ahead of time whether this voltage will be safe for the unknown resistor. A rheostat set to maximum can offer protection, and its inclusion shows you have considered this angle.

Had you shown the voltage source to be variable, then the rheostat would probably not be considered a necessary inclusion.

The function highlighted by andrewkirk is also appropriate, because every voltage source has a limit to the current it can supply.
andrewkirk said:
There may be additional reasons, but a very basic one is that if you connected that circuit without additional resistance, such as from a rheostat, bad things would happen because you'd have a short circuit.
Thanks! Got it

1. What is a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of an electrical circuit. It uses symbols to show the components of a circuit, their connections, and how they are arranged.

2. How do you measure resistance in a wire?

To measure the resistance of a wire, you will need a power source, an ammeter, and a voltmeter. Connect the wire to the power source and place the ammeter in series with the wire. Then, connect the voltmeter in parallel with the wire. Use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance, where V is the voltage measured by the voltmeter, I is the current measured by the ammeter, and R is the resistance of the wire.

3. Why is it important to measure resistance in a wire?

Measuring resistance in a wire is important because it allows us to determine the efficiency of the wire in carrying current. It also helps us identify any defects or damage in the wire that could affect its performance.

4. What are some common symbols used in a circuit diagram?

Some common symbols used in a circuit diagram include a battery for the power source, a resistor for resistance, an ammeter for measuring current, and a voltmeter for measuring voltage. Other symbols include capacitors, diodes, and switches.

5. Can you measure the resistance of any type of wire with this circuit diagram?

Yes, this circuit diagram can be used to measure the resistance of any type of wire as long as the wire can be connected to the power source, ammeter, and voltmeter. However, the accuracy of the measurement may vary depending on the type and quality of the wire.