Draw a diagram, specify intercepts

• Thread starter Vitani11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the purpose of drawing a diagram and specifying intercepts is to visually represent a mathematical relationship between two variables. The intercepts provide important information about the relationship between the variables, such as where the line or curve intersects with the x and y axes. To draw a diagram and specify intercepts, points are plotted on a graph and used to draw a line or curve, and the intercepts can then be determined. These values can provide insights into the behavior and trends of the relationship between the variables. While intercepts can be determined algebraically, drawing a diagram can often provide a more intuitive understanding of the relationship.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

Draw a diagram of the orbit and specify its x and y intercepts. Describe its shape.

r = 2bsin(wt)x̂ + bcos(wt)ŷ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Heres my picture. Aren't the intercepts just 2b for x and b for y?

Attachments

• IMG_20170120_213605.jpg
    IMG_20170120_213605.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani11 said:
Heres my picture. Aren't the intercepts just 2b for x and b for y?
Those certainly are intercepts. Any more?
You have not drawn the orbit, only one point of it.

Likes Vitani11
Okay, I got it. Thanks.

Related to Draw a diagram, specify intercepts

What is the purpose of drawing a diagram and specifying intercepts?

The purpose of drawing a diagram and specifying intercepts is to visually represent a mathematical relationship between two variables. The intercepts, which are the points where a line or curve intersects with the x and y axes, provide important information about the relationship between the variables.

How do I draw a diagram and specify intercepts?

To draw a diagram and specify intercepts, you will need to plot the points of the relationship on a graph and then use the points to draw a line or curve. The intercepts can then be determined by identifying the points where the line or curve intersects with the x and y axes.

Why are intercepts important in a diagram?

Intercepts are important in a diagram because they provide key information about the relationship between the variables being represented. The x-intercept represents the value of the variable when the other variable is equal to zero, and the y-intercept represents the value of the variable when the other variable is equal to zero.

What do the intercepts represent in a diagram?

The x-intercept represents the value of the variable when the other variable is equal to zero. The y-intercept represents the value of the variable when the other variable is equal to zero. These values can provide insights into the behavior and trends of the relationship between the variables.

Can I determine the intercepts without drawing a diagram?

Yes, you can determine the intercepts without drawing a diagram by using algebraic methods. For a linear relationship, the x-intercept can be found by setting the y variable equal to zero and solving for the x variable. Similarly, the y-intercept can be found by setting the x variable equal to zero and solving for the y variable. However, drawing a diagram can often provide a more intuitive understanding of the relationship between the variables.