Draw the mechanism of the reactions of steps 1 and 2

In summary, the conversation is about a task that the speaker is struggling with and needs help with. They ask for an explanation on how to draw the full mechanism and provide some details about the task. The other person suggests showing some work before getting help and the speaker agrees to do so. The speaker then shares their approach and asks for confirmation if it is correct. The other person gives some feedback and points out some minor errors but overall approves of the mechanism. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the other person for their help.
physicisttobe
Homework Statement
Tetramethylguanidine/monomethoxytrityl
Relevant Equations
Hi everyone!

There is a task that I can't solve. Can you explain me how I have to draw the full mechanism?

Draw the mechanism of the reactions of step 1 and 2. Indicate the product before step
3. (in step 2 also TMG =Tetramethylguanidine is given and instead of the
protecting group DMT was given MMT =monomethoxytrityl).

Attachments

• Screenshot (33).png
    Screenshot (33).png
    16.3 KB · Views: 84
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help you. Maybe start by identifying which reagent deprotects which functional group.

Oh yes, next time i will post all my approaches. I was a little uncertain, whether the mechanism is correct. Therefore, I did not upload anything.
But my approach looks like this. I hope it‘s correct:
55A6DE7F-8A7B-49FD-8B11-D134B8CDA8BB.jpeg

It looks like you have the idea. A couple of minor things: make sure the protecting groups you aren’t removing stay on the diagrams, and make sure the protecting groups you’ve already removed don’t (for instance, in the mechanism for step 2, you still have the DMT group protecting the sugar OH, which you just showed was removed in step 1). There’s one or two other little errors of that nature, but overall, the mechanism looks pretty good.

Likes physicisttobe
All right, thanks a lot!!

1. What is the purpose of drawing the mechanism of a reaction?

The purpose of drawing the mechanism of a reaction is to visually represent the step-by-step process by which reactants are converted into products. This helps scientists understand the underlying chemical processes and predict the outcome of a reaction.

2. How do I draw the mechanism of a reaction?

The mechanism of a reaction can be drawn by using arrows to show the movement of electrons and structures to represent the different molecules and their bonding interactions. It is important to follow the rules of organic chemistry, such as the conservation of atoms and the use of curly arrows to indicate the flow of electrons.

3. Why are steps 1 and 2 important in a reaction mechanism?

Steps 1 and 2 in a reaction mechanism are important because they often involve the initial formation of reactive intermediates or the breaking of bonds in the reactants. These steps can determine the overall rate and selectivity of a reaction and provide valuable information about the stability and reactivity of the species involved.

4. What factors can affect the mechanism of a reaction?

The mechanism of a reaction can be affected by a variety of factors, including the nature and concentration of reactants, temperature, solvent, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors. These factors can influence the stability and reactivity of intermediates and transition states, leading to different reaction pathways and products.

5. How can drawing the mechanism of a reaction help in practical applications?

Drawing the mechanism of a reaction can help in practical applications by providing insights into the underlying chemistry and potential side reactions that may occur. This information can be used to optimize reaction conditions, design more efficient and selective reactions, and predict the behavior of related reactions in different contexts.