Drawing Binary Tree: Exploring Pre-Order & In-Order Traversal

In summary, the conversation discusses how to draw a binary tree given the in-order and pre-order traversal sequences of its keys. The process involves finding the root in the pre-order sequence, then using that to determine the elements in the left and right subtrees in the in-order sequence. The same process can be applied for other traversal sequences, such as post-order and in-order. However, it is not always possible to construct a binary tree with certain combinations of traversal sequences, as there may be duplicate elements or elements that cannot be placed in the tree structure.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Smile)

I am looking at the following exercise:

It is given a binary tree with 8 nodes and keys 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16.The in-order tree traversal gives this order: 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16.
The pre-order traversal gives the order: 10,8,2,6,4,16,14,12. Draw the tree. Explain how you drawed it.

That's what I have tried:

View attachment 3608

In a pre-order sequence, the leftmost element is the root of the tree.
By searching the root in the in-order sequence, we can find which elements are on the left side of the root, in the left subtree and which are on the right side of the root, in the right subtree. Could you tell me if it is right? (Thinking)

Attachments

• btree.png
    btree.png
    3 KB · Views: 50
Technology news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hi! (Smile)

I am looking at the following exercise:

It is given a binary tree with 8 nodes and keys 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16.The in-order tree traversal gives this order: 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16.
The pre-order traversal gives the order: 10,8,2,6,4,16,14,12. Draw the tree. Explain how you drawed it.

That's what I have tried:

View attachment 3608

In a pre-order sequence, the leftmost element is the root of the tree.
By searching the root in the in-order sequence, we can find which elements are on the left side of the root, in the left subtree and which are on the right side of the root, in the right subtree. Could you tell me if it is right? (Thinking)

Hey! (Wave)

I believe the in-order of that tree is: 2, 8, 4, 6, 10, 14, 16, 12... but that is not what was given! (Worried)

View attachment 3611
You know the root is 10. Now find 10 in the in order sequence. You then know the left subtree has nodes 2,4,6,8 and the right has 12,14. Do it again. The left subtree has root 8. Find 8 in the inorder sequence 2,4,6,8. So you know the left sub tree from 8 has nodes 2,4,6 and the right subtree from 8 is empty. Continue.
It's a standard easy exercise to formalize the above and write a recursive algorithm to construct a binary tree given the in order and pre order sequences. I suggest writing such.

Attachments

• MHBcs3.png
    MHBcs3.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 55
So, is this the binary tree? (Thinking)

View attachment 3613

Could you give me also two other orders, for example post-order and in-order, so that I find the binary tree? (Thinking)

Attachments

• treeee.png
    treeee.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 39
Sorry, in my previous post I left out 16.

24g5860.png

Given the in order sequence and the post order sequence, the idea is very similar to the in order and pre order. Here's an algorithm, actual C code:

Code:
/*  Builds the unique binary tree with n nodes given the inorder and post
order traversal sequences of keys in arrays in and post.  Return is
pointer to the tree.
*/
node *build(int *in,int *post,int n)
{
    node *p;
    int i;
    if (!n) {
      return(0);
    }
    p=getNode();
    p->key=post[n-1];
    for (i=0;in[i] != post[n-1];i++)
        ;
    p->left_child=build(in,post,i);
    p->right_child=build(in+i+1,post+i,n-i-1);
    return(p);
}

I repeat. I think you should write such an algorithm for pre order and in order. What about pre order and post order?

johng said:
Sorry, in my previous post I left out 16.
Given the in order sequence and the post order sequence, the idea is very similar to the in order and pre order.

Could you explain me the steps we follow, in order to find the binary tree?
Since $2$ is at the first position of the post-order, it means that it is the leftmost leaf, right? How do we continue? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, is this the binary tree? (Thinking)

View attachment 3613

Could you give me also two other orders, for example post-order and in-order, so that I find the binary tree? (Thinking)

Yep! That's it! Good! (Nod)

How about a tree with post-order 8 5 3 1 6 6 8 7 9 5, and in-order 1 8 3 5 6 5 6 9 7 8? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Yep! That's it! Good! (Nod)

How about a tree with post-order 8 5 3 1 6 6 8 7 9 5, and in-order 1 8 3 5 6 5 6 9 7 8? (Wondering)

Is this one possible tree? (Thinking)

View attachment 3617

Attachments

• extree.png
    extree.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 36
evinda said:
Is this one possible tree? (Thinking)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3617

Yep!
And I believe it's the only one! (Party)

I like Serena said:
Yep!
And I believe it's the only one! (Party)

Nice! (Happy) So, couldn't we consider that the root $5$ corresponds to the $5$ of the $4^{th}$ position from the in-order traversal? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, couldn't we consider that the root $5$ corresponds to the $5$ of the $4^{th}$ position from the in-order traversal? (Thinking)

Huh? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Huh? (Wondering)

We know that $5$ is the root and so we found it at the in-order to see which of the elements are at the left subtree and which of the right, like that:

View attachment 3618

But, there is two times the number $5$.

So, couldn't we also do it like that? (Thinking)

View attachment 3619

Attachments

• extree.png
    extree.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 41
  • extree.png
    extree.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 42
evinda said:
We know that $5$ is the root and so we found it at the in-order to see which of the elements are at the left subtree and which of the right, like that:

But, there is two times the number $5$.

So, couldn't we also do it like that? (Thinking)

Maybe.
Can we? (Wondering) (Thinking) (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
Maybe.
Can we? (Wondering) (Thinking) (Sweating)

I think that we can't do this, because then it will be like that:

View attachment 3621

We will have to put the number $5$ but there isn't one left... Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Attachments

• extree.png
    extree.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 37
evinda said:
I think that we can't do this, because then it will be like that:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3621

We will have to put the number $5$ but there isn't one left... Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

I believe you're quite right. (Mmm)
We won't be able to fit in the numbers that are left in the thought balloon. (Angry)

1. What is a binary tree?

A binary tree is a data structure that consists of nodes connected by edges. Each node can have at most two child nodes, a left and a right child. The topmost node in a binary tree is called the root node.

2. What is pre-order traversal in a binary tree?

Pre-order traversal is a way of visiting all the nodes in a binary tree in a specific order. In pre-order traversal, the root node is visited first, followed by the left subtree, and then the right subtree.

3. What is in-order traversal in a binary tree?

In-order traversal is another way of visiting all the nodes in a binary tree. In this traversal, the left subtree is visited first, followed by the root node, and then the right subtree.

4. How do pre-order and in-order traversal differ?

The main difference between pre-order and in-order traversal is the order in which the nodes are visited. In pre-order traversal, the root node is visited first, while in in-order traversal, the left subtree is visited first. Additionally, the order of the nodes visited in pre-order and in-order traversal may differ.

5. Why are pre-order and in-order traversal important in binary trees?

Pre-order and in-order traversal are important because they allow us to visit all the nodes in a binary tree in a specific order. This can be useful in many applications, such as searching for a particular node or sorting the nodes in a binary tree.