What Is the Maximum Speed of a Mass in a Driven Damped Oscillator?

In summary, the maximum speed of the mass in the largest-amplitude steady state is 0.30m multiplied by the natural frequency of the oscillator.
DoctorBozon

Homework Statement

A small block (mass 0.25 kg) attached to a spring (force constant 16 N/m) moves in one dimension on a horizontal surface. The oscillator is subject to both viscous damping and a sinusoidal drive. By varying the period of the driving force (while keeping the drive amplitude fixed), it is found that the mass oscillates with its largest steady state amplitude (0.30 m) when the driving force has a period of 1.00 second.

Find the maximum speed of the mass in this largest-amplitude steady state. Express your answer in meters per second

Homework Equations

X(steadystate) = Dcos(ωt-δ)
D = A/√((ω022)2 + 4ω2β2)
ω02 = k/m
ωr2 = √(ω02-2β2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the resonance frequency ωr = 2∏/1.00s
From this I can find my damping parameter
I know that D=0.30m

Since dX/dt = -Dωsin(ωt-δ) , where ω=ω0 for kinetic energy resonance.
Is my maximum speed of the mass in the largest-amplitude steady state just D*ω0

Physics news on Phys.org
?

Yes, your maximum speed in this case would be D*ω0, where ω0 is the natural frequency of the oscillator. This is because at resonance, the amplitude of the oscillations is at its maximum and therefore the velocity is also at its maximum. So, in this case, the maximum speed would be 0.30m*ω0.

1. What is a driven damped oscillator?

A driven damped oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion, which is influenced by both an external driving force and internal damping forces. It can be described mathematically using a second-order differential equation.

2. How does damping affect a driven damped oscillator?

Damping refers to the dissipative forces that act on a system, causing it to lose energy and eventually come to rest. In a driven damped oscillator, damping reduces the amplitude of the oscillations and can also cause a phase shift between the driving force and the motion of the system.

3. What is the role of the driving force in a driven damped oscillator?

The driving force is an external force that acts on the system and causes it to oscillate. It can be either a periodic force with a specific frequency or a random force. The amplitude and frequency of the driving force can greatly influence the behavior of the driven damped oscillator.

4. How is resonance achieved in a driven damped oscillator?

Resonance occurs when the frequency of the driving force matches the natural frequency of the system. This results in a large amplitude of oscillation, which can be beneficial in some applications, such as in musical instruments.

5. What are some real-world applications of driven damped oscillators?

Driven damped oscillators can be found in many physical systems, such as pendulums, bridges, and buildings. They are also used in electronic circuits, musical instruments, and shock absorbers. Understanding the behavior of driven damped oscillators is important in designing and controlling these systems effectively.