Driven forced oscillation wmax for Amax stuck on maths ><

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the maximum amplitude of a driven oscillator and the difficulty in simplifying the mathematical expression for it. The speaker has tried different approaches, but is struggling to remember how to simplify the expression and is seeking help with it. They also mention trying to minimize a related expression as a possible solution.
NMS2
Hello

Need some help simplifying this. In relation to a driven oscillator I am looking for wmax for which the amplitude is maximum. I understand the theory and I am just missing something with the maths and I know its probably something so stooooopid I am missing >< I'm taking the derivative but I end up with something pretty convoluted and I know this is meant to be relatively simple but I just can't get it... I am staring at it too long, need someone else to look at it.

I have worked out the Amplitude as:

A= fo/m/sqrt((wo2-w2)22w2)

Then I attempted dA/dw to get wmax for which A is max and set to zero but it all got a little out of hand

-((fo/m)(2)(wo2-w2)(-2w)+2γw2))/((2)(wo2-w2)22w2)3/2)=0

I want to work with this expression because I understand where it came from and it makes sense to me. I just can not remember how to simplify something like this and it is going to keep me awake at night

I know that its supposed to boil down to this:(but I can not get my dA/dw to look like this. )

wmax= (wo2-(γ2/2))1/2

my goal is to figure out how to make my expression look like this

>< please help

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
To make life easier, instead of trying to maximize ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{(\omega_{0}^{2} - \omega^{2})^{2} + \gamma^{2} \omega^{2}}}##, instead try minimizing ##(\omega_{0}^{2} - \omega^{2})^{2} + \gamma^{2} \omega^{2}##. I guarantee you'll sleep easier. :smile:

If you're dead-set on getting your expression to work, then try substituting ##f(\omega) = (\omega_{0}^{2} - \omega^{2})^{2} + \gamma^{2} \omega^{2}## and using the chain rule to show that they share a stationary point.

Related to Driven forced oscillation wmax for Amax stuck on maths ><

1. What is driven forced oscillation?

Driven forced oscillation refers to the motion of a system that is being continuously pushed or pulled by an external force. This external force is known as the driving force and can cause the system to oscillate or vibrate at a certain frequency.

2. What does "wmax" stand for in the context of driven forced oscillation?

In the context of driven forced oscillation, "wmax" refers to the maximum angular frequency at which the system can oscillate. It is also known as the natural frequency of the system and is dependent on its mass and stiffness.

3. What is "Amax" and how does it relate to driven forced oscillation?

"Amax" stands for the maximum amplitude of the oscillation of a system. It represents the maximum displacement of the system from its equilibrium position. In driven forced oscillation, the amplitude is affected by the magnitude of the driving force and the system's damping.

4. Why is understanding driven forced oscillation important in maths?

Driven forced oscillation is an important concept in maths because it helps us understand and model real-world systems that exhibit oscillatory behavior. This includes pendulums, springs, and electrical circuits. It also allows us to calculate and predict the behavior of these systems under different conditions.

5. What should I do if my "Amax" is stuck on maths while studying driven forced oscillation?

If you are having trouble understanding the concept of "Amax" in the context of driven forced oscillation, it may be helpful to review the fundamental principles of oscillation and harmonic motion. You can also seek help from a tutor or professor who can provide further clarification and practice problems.