Damped driven oscillator

In summary, the exercise asks you to size the damping and spring constants so that the amplitude of the machine's oscillation is minimized.
barakudaxxl

Homework Statement

I have a project in university that's about creating a simplified model of a washing machine in the program ADAMs View. Here is a picture of how it's constructed: https://imgur.com/a/zZzS5

So basically to oversimplify the problem I've understood that the rotating mass will cause a force on the machine resulting in a damped driven harmonic oscillation. If we take a look at the bottom of the machine there is damper and a spring. The damper constant and the spring constant are both fixed values given to us. (spring constant k = 9,35*106 N/m and damping constant c = 3000 Ns/m): We are also given the mass of the machine mh, mass of rotor mr and the velocity of rotor ω.

The problem to solve is to design the upper part (the second spring and damper) of the machine to minimize the amplitude of the machine's oscillation. We have three parameters that we have to vary. K being the spring constant, n being the damping constant and being the mass (where ma≤10 kg)

Using ADAMS and running simulations when I vary one factor at a time I have come to the conclusion that ma being as high as possible (10 kg), n being as low as possible (=0) and K being around 106 N/m will result in a small amplitude.

Homework Equations

I have derived the equation of motion for the washing machine and the damper and spring on the bottom from the free body diagram of the machine, not taking into consideration the upper damper and spring because this was the first part of the project.

[tex]x''+2ξω_{n}x' + ω_{n}x = \frac{F_{0}}{m}sin(ωt+φ_{0}) + \frac{kx_{0}}{m}[/tex] where [tex]2ξω_{n}=\frac{c}{m}, ω_{n}^2=\frac{k}{m}, F_{0}=m_{r}eω^2, m=m_{h}+m_{r}[/tex]

(I'm from Sweden so if these formulas dosen't look exactly the same in your country then I think that's the reason.)

The Attempt at a Solution

Aside from the conclusions above I have to derive a strategy for this optimal design (minimize the amplitude), explaining what's happening using formulas. To minimize this amplitude I think I need to explain what's happening with the superposition principle. There must be destructive interference but my problem is between what parts of this system. The upper part really complicates things for me and this is the part where I would like some help.

I'm very grateful for every tip! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello bog one, :welcome:

please sort out and list your variables a bit more clearly: I get confused if you first write a given c and then write
barakudaxxl said:
n being the damping constant

barakudaxxl said:
n being as low as possible (=0)
Also seeing y as coordinate in the picture and x in the equations does not help, even if x=y in Sweden :smile:

hCMLepR.png

[edit] copied in the picture -- imgur isn't all that sustainable :rolleyes:

Attachments

• hCMLepR.png
    hCMLepR.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 789
BvU said:
Hello bog one, :welcome:

please sort out and list your variables a bit more clearly: I get confused if you first write a given c and then write
Also seeing y as coordinate in the picture and x in the equations does not help, even if x=y in Sweden :smile:

View attachment 221740

[edit] copied in the picture -- imgur isn't all that sustainable :rolleyes:

The project is is separated into two parts. The first part is this photo: https://imgur.com/rHrWjxL. It's actually in the other link also. It's consisting of the washing machine and the damper and spring at the bottom. C is the damping constant for that damper and not the one above. n is the damping constant of the damper located at the top of the machine,
My equation of motion is for only this system and in the picture you can see that x is the coordinate.

The second part is this picture you are referring to https://imgur.com/hCMLepR. My problem is with this part.

My bad for missing the second picture :oldmad:, the one from the first part :rolleyes: of the exercise.
Helps a lot.

I see an ##\eta## instead of an n and a ##\kappa## instead of a K in the first picture (the one from the second part of the exercise).

Now I can follow the equation for ##x##, except I don't see why it has an ##\omega_n## instead of an ##\omega## and I think a square dropped out of the third term.

First part of the exercise yields you an amplitude ##A## for the steady state solution (right?) and I gather the exercise wants you to size ##m_a##, ##\kappa## and ##\eta## in such a way that that ##A## is reduced to a minimum (right?).

And you use the ADAMs program as a kind of integrator for the coupled oscillators (to find a minimum by trial and error ?), or do you set up the full set of equations of motion for both ##x## and ##y## (including the coupling terms) ?
rHrWjxL.png

Attachments

• rHrWjxL.png
    rHrWjxL.png
    11 KB · Views: 463
BvU said:
I see an η instead of an n and a κ instead of a K in the first picture (the one from the second part of the exercise).
That't correct it's my fault. I didn't know how to write these letters so I wrote n and K instead.

BvU said:
Now I can follow the equation for x, except I don't see why it has an [itex]ω_n[/itex] instead of an ω and I think a square dropped out of the third term.
We use [itex]ω_n[/itex]in the third term. I've seen on e.g. Wikipedia that it's [itex]ω_0[/itex] instead but it's the same. In the third term I did forgot a square it should be [itex]ω^2_n[/itex].

BvU said:
First part of the exercise yields you an amplitude A for the steady state solution (right?) and I gather the exercise wants you to size [itex]m_a[/itex], κ and η in such a way that that A is reduced to a minimum (right?).
. That's right. I have to find values of [itex]m_a[/itex], κ and η in such a way that that A is reduced to a minimum.

BvU said:
nd you use the ADAMs program as a kind of integrator for the coupled oscillators (to find a minimum by trial and error ?), or do you set up the full set of equations of motion for both x and y (including the coupling terms) ?

I use ADAMs to find a correlation between [itex]m_a[/itex], κ and η so A is reduced to a minimum. I do this by simulating my built model and varying each value one by one but I also have to find a correlation between these values using maybe a formula of some sort. I don't think it's necessary to find out the equation of motion for y too. My instinct says that minimizing of the amplitude A has to do with destructive interference between the rotor and the spring-damper system on top of the machine

1. What is a damped driven oscillator?

A damped driven oscillator is a physical system that undergoes periodic motion, driven by an external force, while also experiencing damping due to energy dissipation.

2. What are the important parameters of a damped driven oscillator?

The important parameters of a damped driven oscillator include the driving frequency, damping coefficient, and the mass of the oscillator.

3. How does damping affect the motion of a driven oscillator?

Damping causes the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time, resulting in a decrease in the maximum displacement and velocity of the oscillator.

4. What is the resonance frequency of a damped driven oscillator?

The resonance frequency of a damped driven oscillator is the frequency at which the amplitude of the oscillations is largest, and the phase difference between the driving force and the motion of the oscillator is zero.

5. How does the driving force affect the motion of a damped driven oscillator?

The driving force determines the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations of the driven oscillator. As the driving force increases, the amplitude of the oscillations also increases, until reaching a maximum at the resonance frequency.