Driving 5V DC motor from MCU output

In summary, the circuit will protect the micro from surges in the +5 volts supply when the motor starts up, but it will drop the voltage to the Micro by about 0.2 volts.
alexwryt
I am trying to drive a 5V DC motor using a MCU output. The motor is run directly off the +5V line which is down-converted from 18V using a TPS5430 Step-down converter.

The MCU coding is basically that when the inputs are in the correct state, the output to the FET turns on for a number of milliseconds before shutting off again. My problem is that as soon as the motor turns on, the voltage from the supply surges down for a split second and kills my MCU with a POR reset. I think it is because of the initial great current demand for starting the motor from stop. Is there any way I can modify my circuit to protect against this effect?

[PLAIN]http://myimgs.net/images/ydhx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I suggest splitting the +5 volts at the source, running 1 leg directly to the circuit, and putting a series resister R (first) and a shunt filter capacitor C (next) on the other leg in front of the motor. The values of R and C depend on the motor, but for a small motor drawing say 0.1 amps, use R=5 ohms and C= 10 mF for starters. If this doesn't work, put a separate smaller RC filter on the other leg.

Bob S

The Micro needs to have its own regulator. A LM7805 would be OK.

To do this, you would have to bring a supply voltage of 7 volts or more to the board with the Micro on it and mount a 5 volt regulator there.

If this wasn't possible, you could try this arrangement:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/supply%20filtering.PNG

The idea is that the large capacitor holds enough charge to supply the Micro while the motor starts.
The Schottky diode stops the voltage from the capacitor discharging into the motor.
Unfortunately, this diode also drops the supply voltage of the Micro by about 0.2 volts, even using a Schottky diode.
And the voltage will still fall when the motor starts, although not as much as without the diode and capacitor.

I have added a diode across the motor. This is a conventional way of protecting the FET against destructive pulses from an inductive load.
It is cheap insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Driving 5V DC motor from MCU output

1. How do I determine the appropriate voltage and current for my DC motor?

The appropriate voltage and current for your DC motor depends on the motor's specifications. You can find this information in the motor's datasheet or by contacting the manufacturer. It is important to ensure that the voltage and current supplied by the MCU output is within the motor's operating range to prevent damage.

2. Can I directly connect the MCU output to the DC motor?

No, it is not recommended to directly connect the MCU output to the DC motor. The MCU output may not be able to supply enough current to drive the motor and may result in damage to the MCU. It is best to use a motor driver or transistor circuit to control the motor.

3. How do I protect the MCU from back EMF generated by the DC motor?

Back EMF (electromotive force) is a voltage spike that occurs when the motor is turned off, and can potentially damage the MCU. To protect the MCU, you can use a diode or a transient voltage suppressor (TVS) in parallel with the motor to absorb the back EMF.

4. Can I control the speed of the DC motor using the MCU output?

Yes, you can control the speed of the DC motor using the MCU output. By varying the voltage or duty cycle of the MCU output, you can adjust the speed of the motor. This can be achieved using pulse width modulation (PWM) techniques.

5. Is it possible to reverse the direction of the DC motor using the MCU output?

Yes, it is possible to reverse the direction of the DC motor using the MCU output. This can be done by using an H-bridge circuit or by using a motor driver that allows for bidirectional control. Alternatively, you can use a relay to switch the motor's direction, but this may not be as efficient as using a motor driver.